European escapade 4th september 2014

5 Apr 2014 Laura-G asked

Default_avatar

• 7 Apr 2014 ashleigh chavasse said

ashleigh chavasse

im on the 10th of september one!

• 8 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

Hello, mine is actually starting the 4th :), can’t seem to change my question!
    Where are you leaving from? are you planning to spend some time in London before hand?

• 8 Apr 2014 ashleigh chavasse said

ashleigh chavasse

i get to london a couple days before the tour starts, but im hanging around after the tour :) im coming from karratha in wa

• 20 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

I have just booked the one starting on the 8th but will be meeting the group in Paris

• 22 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

Hey lynnie,
    Mine actually starts on the 4th don’t know how to change it, are you spending any time in London?

• 22 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

I will be in Germany for a wedding so will be meeting the group in Paris. I lived two years in the UK so would have loved to go to London first to catch up with family and friends but unfortunately not this visit.

So if your going on the 4th it means you can tell me of any of the do’s and dont’s :-)

Have you done a contiki tour before?

• 22 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

haha sure can, i’ll be 1 step ahead of you :) this is my first time going to Europe and contiki, i have 4 days in London before hand, any tips for me?

• 22 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

I lived outside of London (Stratford-upon-Avon) but did go to visit family often in London.

I found the best was getting an ALL DAY ALL ZONE underground ticket as it then didn’t matter which routes you took and how many times you used the underground. You will find the underground very easy to travel with. The first time I left Cape town was to go to London and I was all by myself and had no trouble getting around.

I know my friend told me about some sort of London pass that allows you access certain attractions as well. http://www.londontravelpass.com/prices.html

Best to check what your best options and what the costs are.

Is there anything specific you where wanting to see?

• 23 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

oh thanks heap, i’m sure this information will come in handy, i have heard about the London pass, i will check it out see if it’s worth getting, there is nothing in particular i want to see/do, just would like to make the most of my time ands see and do as much as possible, i was also told the hop on hop off bus tours are good, any thoughts? Have you been to Germany before?

• 24 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

I did the hop on and off bus which helped a lot as I didn’t have to try and find all the popular sites. If your sticking to the popular touristy spots then that would be a good idea.

When I worked in the UK I only travelled to Greece and Ireland and never had the chance to go to Germany. I am going for a wedding so I first have 2 days in Berlin on my own (still looking at the best way to travel around there) and then I spend 4 days with my friend who is getting married and then CONTIKI!!

• 26 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

oh wow that will be awesome! i met some German girls when i was out the other night, they were so nice and know how to have a good time. Bring on CONTIKI :)

• 27 Apr 2014 Amy said

Amy

hi girls, I’m doing the experience leaving 1st Sep. Quick silly question, what do you think you’ll pack weather wise? I heard it can be pretty cold up near the mountains but the days are warm in other areas, particularly Italy etc. Super early i know, but any ideas yet?

• 27 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

To be honest I haven’t even started thinking about that yet! That is still something I need to check out as well! My brain is wanting to explode about all the things I need to plan still. Who knew buying the flight ticket and booking the tour is only the start of the planning.

Are you ladies taking a laptop with at all?

• 27 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

I think it will be quite warm during the days but pretty cold at night, I’m just going to take summer clothes and a couple of jackets/jumpers for the evenings. I thought about taking my laptop, but have decided on a tablet, i think it will be good to be able to walk around with it and take advantage of the wifi when i can, what you think?

• 27 Apr 2014 Amy said

Amy

There really is a lot to remember, I keep scaring myself that i’ll forget something important! To be honest I don’t think I could be bothered lugging my laptop around, I’m just going to take my iphone. Tablet is perfect size, but I don’t have one so I figured an iphone is the next best thing- can still use free wifi, just have to make sure I don’t go crazy with the international calls/messages etc.

• 28 Apr 2014 Lynnie said

Lynnie

The thing is I love taking photos (do photography on the side) so will most likely be going trigger happy and take thousands of photos. Trying to decide if I should take my laptop to back up my photos or just get a bigger memory card and hope nothing happens to it.

Im not worried about calls and things like that even tho I will have my phone it will most likely just be for when in wifi ranch for the random whatsapp here and there.

• 29 Apr 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

Im going to take a few memory cards rather then 1 big one, will feel better knowing that if something happens to one, i still have some photos :), Amy there is an app with a before you go check list, don’t know what its called but im sure it will be helpful :)

• 30 Apr 2014 Amy said

Amy

Thanks Laura, I found it, it’s called ‘Shout’. I think I’ll do the same with my memory cards. I can’t be bothered uploading all my photos and if I’m careful, hopefully there won’t be any troubles losing stuff.

• 17 Jun 2014 SarahG91 said

SarahG91

Hi Laura, I will be on the trip starting on September 4 with two friends of mine!! We are starting in Paris, but as others have said the London Tube is very easy and so convenient to travel on. Hop On and Off tours are great for introductory sightseeing tours and you do more in depth sight seeing after! I have heard bike tours are great too and are a different way to see the city.

Lynnie: Berlin’s underground (U-bahn) and above ground (S-bahn) trains are very easy to navigate and are also central to most things. Visit Museum Island if you get a chance – I loved it there! Although that may be because I study history and love the museums haha

• 22 Jun 2014 Laura-G said

Default_avatar

Hi Sarah, Thanks for the tips, guess I will be seeing you in Paris in a couple of months :) Can’t wait.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.