Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Weather - Nov & Dec

8 Jul 2008 *Sarah84* said

Default_avatar
Hi Smiler

I am heading to New York, Las Vegas and LA at the end of November and am just wondering if the weather will be as cold as i have been told... bit scared of what to pack??

Any advice?? Thanks...
  • 8 Jul 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Hey,

well im heading over to the same places for New Years and early jan and im afraid it will be as cold as they tell me! not sure about November though!!

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 Jul 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Btw im just taking regular clothes that i wear during a Melbourne winter with the added warmth of wearing thermals under all my clothes (mainly for New York), along with scarf, beanies and gloves!! and maybe a nice warm jacket for the cold nights!

hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Katie

• 9 Jul 2008 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

NY in NOV is cold and wet. We rarely get snow at the end of November (Thanksgiving time)

• 9 Jul 2008 Explorer1082701 said

Default_avatar

Well I’m from Boston which is a four hour drive from NYC but we pretty much get the same exact weather… The weather in November/Deccember can vary… but the average temp I’d say for both months is probably 40 degrees F for November and 30 degrees F for December. Also it’s not going to be as pretty… there will be no leaves on the trees.

• 13 Jul 2008 *Sarah84* said

Default_avatar

Thanks for that guys… im sad that NY wont be pretty but looking forward to it anyway!

Katie… i think i am taking the same as you, thermals, beanies etc! i am from the Gold Coast so as you could imagine my winter clothes arent very warm haha however i did buy an awesome coat which if i live in it i should be ok! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> thanks heaps!

• 21 Jul 2008 Kristen M. said

Kristen M.

For LA and Vegas, you really won’t need all your thermals and beanies so you might want to bring cheap ones or old ones and toss ‘em when you get to California. It will definately be warm here compared to New York and you can probably expect anywhere from 50-60 degrees Farenheit (sorry I’m not sure about Celsius!) or even warmer, especially in Vegas. If you have long sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt or a jacket, you will be just fine!

• 21 Jul 2008 *Sarah84* said

Default_avatar

Thank you so much Kristen… that is a huge relief!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Jul 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

hey Sarah,

i plan on sending home all my thermals, beanies, big jackets etc in a post pack once im done in New york and jst keeping the clothes that Kristen suggested for LA!

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Jul 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

The weather in NY in November can be in the 50’s or as low as the 30’s and snow is possible. I was in Vegas in late November one year it rained almost every day and was only in the 60’s. Also being in the desert Vegas can get chilly at night. LA should be nice though.

As for January, again it can be in the 50’s, but can be as cold as the 20’s. most likely in the 30’s. You can get snow, which will be pretty, then it will be messy and they will make it disappear…

• 25 Jul 2008 aussie_manda said

Default_avatar

ok ppl from new york please answer my question!!! ill be in NY from the 16 till the 20th of feb….wot are the chances of snow? and i wanna go ice skating, il be able to right??

• 28 Jul 2008 CubanQueen said

CubanQueen

in NY they have a bunch of ice skating rinks during winter season. My guess is there will be atleast one in central park, you should check that online though. It will most likely snow there at that time, or atleast rain. And it will be cold…

In Las Vegas, during the day it will be chilly and chance of rain most likely. At night it gets pretty cold.

In LA the weather gets to be at coldest 50 degrees farenheit.. (sorry im not good with celcius) and most likely between 60 and low 70’s. If you are by the coast the colder it gets, but then again inland in the flat areas it gets cold as well (palm springs). I’d suggest just pants, a sweatshirt, gloves if you get cold easily and some warm shoes and you should be fine.

• 28 Jul 2008 Explorer1082701 said

Default_avatar

Hi aussie_manda,
    January and February are the north easts coldest months. During those months the temp usually does not go above 20 F and can get as cold as -10 F. The temps vary because we do get snow during those months. But if it is the temp range I gave you then there will most likely not be snow because it will be too cold. As for ice skating, unless it’s indoors which I"m assuming you want to ice skate at Rockefeller plaza (which is outdoors) it will be very difficult to say outside for a long period of time.

• 29 Jul 2008 aussie_manda said

Default_avatar

oh my god!!!!!! that is soooooooooooo cold! i cant believe ppl can survive in that. im freezing now and its like 10 degrees C sooo…. 50F

• 29 Jul 2008 Explorer1082701 said

Default_avatar

HAH we can’t survive in it.. which is why we barely go out in the winter! lol and when we do we have literally ever part of our body covered including our faces!

• 29 Jul 2008 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

Its cold but somehow I always feel warmer in NYC. It’s due to the subways and the body heat.

• 29 Jul 2008 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

HEHE i can’t help but reading some of these post and thinking that you would absolutley hate western canada in the winter!….its the average temprature is like -25 on a good day and -40 on a bad day!

• 29 Jul 2008 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

oh and i forgot to mention thats celsius

• 30 Jul 2008 Explorer1082701 said

Default_avatar

lol well considering I absolutely HATE Boston in the winter (LOVE it in the summer)… I would have to agree that I would most likely hate western canada in the winter as well! lol

• 31 Jul 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

In February you could get a 2 foot snow storm, but more likely some flurries or a dusting of snow. Hard to say what the chances are, we usually get some snow then.

Ice Skating is no problem, there is Rockefeller Plaza which is open from like October till April or something like that, not sure how they keep the ice cold but they do. But that’s expensive and lines (especially at christmas) can be quite long. There is also the Wollman Rink in Central Park (South East area of the park, not exactly sure where) and Chelsea Piers which is open year round (West Side in the 20’s I think.) Those are your best bets for skating.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion