Community_discussions_small  

Question

Taking a train in Europe

7 Apr 2014 Kitkat101895 asked

Kitkat101895

Hi! So, this summer I'm taking my 1st trip all by myself! I'm going on a Contiki tour to Italy and after the tour, I'm planning to meet some old family friends in Austria. Now, I'm mostly worried about how to get there. My family friend, in Austria, has told me to take a train from where my tour is ending (Venice, Italy) and take a train to Vienna or Innsbruck, Austria. I've never taken a trip before so I'm not quite sure how some things work. All I'm wondering is if I should book my ticket before I leave for my trip, online or by phone, or if I should book my tickets when I actually get to Italy and if there is any advice for a first timer like me. Also, would you suggest taking a train from Venice or Rome? My trip gives us the, free, trip back to Rome.

Thank you to all who respond!

• 10 Apr 2014 HelenSearson said

HelenSearson

Hi Katarina, I have just had a look and found this website.. you can travel from Venice on the Saturday about 1pm ish for £25.50. Its about a 5 hour train journey and I would probably suggest booking in advance. 1. to make sure you get a seat and 2. just because of the language barrier. I know I would be worried if I had to buy train tickets! Haha. I just looked at trains from Rome on the same website and it appears to cost more money!
    http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey

Hope this helps!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion