Community_discussions_small  

Comment

banks

26 Jul 2007 sweetfreesia said

Default_avatar
Are there any banks in Europe that would also be in the US? If that's the case, would getting an ATM from the bank be better to avoid charges?
  • 26 Jul 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Use the FIND option and do a search for ‘money’.

This topic has been extensively discussed many times.

• 26 Jul 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

HSBC is in some areas of europe and in the US. Many big commercial banks have agreements with european banks so that you don’t have to pay a fee, but you’ll have to check with the actual banks for that. What you might end up finding is that it’s one bank in some countries.

• 26 Jul 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I bank with Compass bank in the US and I don’t get charged any fees. Well I do but I just take the reciepts even those in foreign countries to the bank and get reimbursed. Try to find a bank that doesn’t carge fees.

• 26 Jul 2007 Shannon said

Default_avatar

I also have Compass and plan on doing the same thing as Melanie. Why pay atm fees if you do not have to?

• 26 Jul 2007 sweetfreesia said

Default_avatar

I’ve never heard of Compass Bank. Where are they located?

• 26 Jul 2007 SurfAngel said

Default_avatar

I just signed up for a checking account with First Republic Bank. They don’t charge any ATM fees, or foreign currency conversion fees, AND they refund you the fees that the bank (of the ATM) might charge you. You will have to keep a minimum average monthly balance of $2500 to avoid paying a $15 monthly service charge. And I’m not sure where in the US you are located, but First Republic is only in about 6 or 7 different states.

• 26 Jul 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar
    http://www.compassbank.com/index.html

This is their website. I know in Az, Co and New Mexico for sure. Not sure where else. Go to the locations area. Might not have it in all states.
  • 26 Jul 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

Bank of America is part of the ‘Global Bank Alliance’ and the following applies:

Use your ATM card or Check Card within our Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no fees.

Barclays (United Kingdom)
    BNP Paribas (France)
    China Construction Bank (China)
    Deutsche Bank (Germany)
    Satander Serfin (Mexico)
    Scotiabank (Canada)
    Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

• 26 Jul 2007 sweetfreesia said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the info re: BofA. I’m going to open a Savings from them, so I can use their ATM.

• 27 Jul 2007 Gryphon said

Default_avatar

The most global bank I can think of is Citibank, I’ve seen them in every country I’ve been to so far, even countries such as Bangladesh.

• 27 Jul 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by sweetfreesia:
    Thanks for the info re: BofA. I’m going to open a Savings from them, so I can use their ATM.

You do not use the BOA ATM, just go to one of the banks listed in that particular country and use their atm

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.