Community_discussions_small  

Question

how cold?? Euro discovery Jan 1st

14 Nov 2007 KiWi Chick asked

Default_avatar
im doing Euro Discovery departing jan 1st 08, was just wondering how cold i am going to get in these countries, and should i bring a lovely pair of winter pajamas with me? are the hotels very warm at night?haha im a sucker for the cold at night!!
any suggestions would be great, cheers Smiler
  • 15 Nov 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

I’m going on the WW dep Jan 2.

Yes its going to be cold, bring lots of layers and some thermals just in case. Plus waterproof jacket and shoes, beanie/gloves/scarf etc.

As for bed gear, the hotels will be centrally heated and can get rather dry. I don’t like to sleep in heavy pjs, so I’m bring some light 3/4 pants and a singlet top. I’d rather use and extra blanket.
    Before I’m in bed I’ll wear extra clothes over my pjs (basically a travel tracksuit type thing).

If you wear Winter pjs to bed normally, then bring them, that would be my advice Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Oh and if you are checking last years temps for comparison, I’d look at 2006 instead. Last year was uncharacteristically warm…

• 15 Nov 2007 KiWi Chick said

Default_avatar

yeah im thinking mite just bring some light trackies 2 sleep in and comfy tshirt. or just wear thermals 2 bed if im freezing! Will I see much snow ??

• 15 Nov 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

I guess that will depend on the weather :P

I would guess that, yes, at some point you will.

At the very least there will be snow on the mountains in Switzerland (there always is).

And its more likely you’ll run into fresh snow at rest stops than in the city where it gets trod on and melts.

Default_avatar

ohh ok. Have you done a contiki before?? Travelled much in europe?
    im pretty exited as I havnt even been out of NZ yet! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Nov 2007 Vee said

Default_avatar

Heres a cool website to check the weather of each city you will be in and there is a tabs that gives you the averages for that city too (climate statistics)…

http://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/SW1E

Default_avatar

sweet thanks 4 that Vee. You doing Euro discovery leaving jan 1st?

• 15 Nov 2007 Vee said

Default_avatar

Nah, I put my signature on wrong, doing the Encounter…

• 2 Jul 2013 RosyThomson said

Default_avatar

Thanks to Vee for the cool website http://uk.weather.com/. Its really an informative to a traveler to know about the weather before they reach particular destinations.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.