Community_discussions_small  

Question

daily spend???

9 Nov 2010 Msfang asked

Msfang
on average, on any european tour, how much money would you say you spent?
i understand people have different spending habits, and some days you may spend half of what you did the next day, but generally everyone, how much would you say you spent.
we are trying to work out the budget to save for the european highlights tour and dont know where to start with how much we would need each day roughly.
  • 9 Nov 2010 Kathleen said

Default_avatar

I’ve read that 100 Euro a day is a good start but I am really paranoid about not having enough money so I am budgeting for 200 Euro a day

• 9 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

I’m a guy and personally I went by with around 50-100 euro/pounds a day. This was for public transport, museum entry, doing stuff, lunch, and then drinks.

• 10 Nov 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

i took 100 a day plus 20 for food. and i came back with about 200 or so euro left over. depends on what tour you go on but all tours have travel days and on those days i never really spent over 20 unless it was somewhere like pisa or the swarovski world so there is 100 saved.. but i say start with 100 and see how much you can save.

• 11 Nov 2010 Anna said

Default_avatar

I just came back from my trip which was 20 days around europe. I’m the type that doesn’t buy everything I see but if I really really like, I might splurge a tiny bit. And ofcourse I spent loads on drinks.
    Just to put things into perspective. The 20 days I was gone aroung Europe, I spent 1000 AUD roughly. The 7 days I was in London after I spent 2000 AUD roughly.
    I was freaking out about money too but I actually came home with over 2 grand and I was gone for 3 months.
    Don’t worry Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Nov 2010 dee-kay said

dee-kay

Anna, how much spending money did you take roughly for the three months?

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing three months in Europe, 28 days on contiki and 2 months by ourselves. I think we were hoping for about 15k AUD each spending would that be enough to enable us to drink (we’re big drinkers), eat, sight see etc?

Diana

• 11 Nov 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Those heading to Europe with the Aussie $ in your pocket, things are getting significantly cheaper …

In general, a good rule of thumb is 100€/day is comfortable and you’ll be returning home with extra $ in your pocket … plenty of souvenirs and experienced just about all the optionals.

Simple math is:
    add all your optionals
    + lunch (tour days x 20€)
    + dinner (2/5 days x 35€) (if you consider optional dinners)
    + 35€/day (entrance/misc/souvernirs)

And the above is an extravagant budget .. quite a few travel days where lunch is at a highway rest stop, and you definitely don’t need to spend 35 on dinner. And there may be those little towns where you can’t really spend any $$ even if you wanted to.

- Vic

• 13 Nov 2010 sunsetfiesta said

sunsetfiesta

what about drinking? I am big partier myself so with the idea of going out most nights drinking alot, how much does that effect the budget? is the 100€/day allowing for that?

• 13 Nov 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

If you are a big drinker/shopper, then adjust your budget upwards accordingly. 100€/day budget should be enough to cover 2 drinks / night, especially if you are paying for any $$ souvenirs with a credit card. Bump your daily budget up for a safety cushion and you won’t be worrying about running out of money.

- Vic

• 16 Nov 2010 Anna said

Default_avatar

I took over 8k with me. I drank a fair bit but we usually just bought a bottle of vodka for about 15 euro each day and spilt it between two other girls and myself.
    I didn’t buy much clothes wise, just mainly jewlery and makeup.
    And we usually just shared lunch because the meals were so big over there.
    I think the most I spent in a day was about 80 euro and sometimes I didn’t spend any money at all. Although some girls did spend over 300 euro a day but they were the ultimate girly girls.
    Hope that helps

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion