daily spend???

9 Nov 2010 Msfang asked

on average, on any european tour, how much money would you say you spent?<BR>i understand people have different spending habits, and some days you may spend half of what you did the next day, but generally everyone, how much would you say you spent.<BR>we are trying to work out the budget to save for the european highlights tour and dont know where to start with how much we would need each day roughly.
  • 9 Nov 2010 Kathleen said

I’ve read that 100 Euro a day is a good start but I am really paranoid about not having enough money so I am budgeting for 200 Euro a day

• 9 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

I’m a guy and personally I went by with around 50-100 euro/pounds a day. This was for public transport, museum entry, doing stuff, lunch, and then drinks.

• 10 Nov 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

i took 100 a day plus 20 for food. and i came back with about 200 or so euro left over. depends on what tour you go on but all tours have travel days and on those days i never really spent over 20 unless it was somewhere like pisa or the swarovski world so there is 100 saved.. but i say start with 100 and see how much you can save.

• 11 Nov 2010 Anna said

I just came back from my trip which was 20 days around europe. I’m the type that doesn’t buy everything I see but if I really really like, I might splurge a tiny bit. And ofcourse I spent loads on drinks.
    Just to put things into perspective. The 20 days I was gone aroung Europe, I spent 1000 AUD roughly. The 7 days I was in London after I spent 2000 AUD roughly.
    I was freaking out about money too but I actually came home with over 2 grand and I was gone for 3 months.
    Don’t worry Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Nov 2010 dee-kay said

Anna, how much spending money did you take roughly for the three months?

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing three months in Europe, 28 days on contiki and 2 months by ourselves. I think we were hoping for about 15k AUD each spending would that be enough to enable us to drink (we’re big drinkers), eat, sight see etc?

• 11 Nov 2010 ptooma said

Those heading to Europe with the Aussie $ in your pocket, things are getting significantly cheaper …

In general, a good rule of thumb is 100€/day is comfortable and you’ll be returning home with extra $ in your pocket … plenty of souvenirs and experienced just about all the optionals.

Simple math is:
    add all your optionals
    + lunch (tour days x 20€)
    + dinner (2/5 days x 35€) (if you consider optional dinners)
    + 35€/day (entrance/misc/souvernirs)

And the above is an extravagant budget .. quite a few travel days where lunch is at a highway rest stop, and you definitely don’t need to spend 35 on dinner. And there may be those little towns where you can’t really spend any $$ even if you wanted to.

- Vic

• 13 Nov 2010 sunsetfiesta said

what about drinking? I am big partier myself so with the idea of going out most nights drinking alot, how much does that effect the budget? is the 100€/day allowing for that?

• 13 Nov 2010 ptooma said

If you are a big drinker/shopper, then adjust your budget upwards accordingly. 100€/day budget should be enough to cover 2 drinks / night, especially if you are paying for any $$ souvenirs with a credit card. Bump your daily budget up for a safety cushion and you won’t be worrying about running out of money.

- Vic

• 16 Nov 2010 Anna said

I took over 8k with me. I drank a fair bit but we usually just bought a bottle of vodka for about 15 euro each day and spilt it between two other girls and myself.
    I didn’t buy much clothes wise, just mainly jewlery and makeup.
    And we usually just shared lunch because the meals were so big over there.
    I think the most I spent in a day was about 80 euro and sometimes I didn’t spend any money at all. Although some girls did spend over 300 euro a day but they were the ultimate girly girls.
    Hope that helps

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.