Community_discussions_small  

Question

What do I wear?

29 Dec 2010 Explorer1224659 asked

Default_avatar
Hi,

I am unsure how to dress in Egypt and wanted any advise from people who have taken this trip.

In the booklet the females are mostly wearing singlets and shorts or tshirts and shorts.

At my university I study Ancient History and all the students who go to Egypt wear long pants or 3/4 with tshirts and a scalf.

How am I meant to dress?
I want to feel comfortable and be polite to the culture.

Any advise would be great!
THanks
  • 29 Dec 2010 gator717 said

Default_avatar

Hello.

I think the key is when are you going to Egypt? If you are going during the winter/fall months then you will need more pants, one or two long sleeve shirts, and a jacket. In the summer months, you will definitely need shorts (not short shorts but decent length shorts)and thinner tops. When doing tours in Egypt, you are the majority of your time with the tour group in tourist sites where dress codes are not enforced and less conservative outfits are really not frowned upon. In my tour, the majority of the girls wore pants or skirts but we had a few that wore shorts. They had no problems except a few flirtatious comments thrown their way. Sherif, your tour guide, will let you know when you need to cover up more which is basically when you visit the markets in Aswan and Cairo and the Citadel in Cairo. The most important thing is for you to wear what is comfortable in terms of the weather and what you view as respectful. I spend a lot of time studying Egypt (the history, culture, people, religions) so out of respect even within the confines of a tour group I will never show up wearing shorts to the country but I saw TONS of people with shorts and sleeveless tops. It’s just a matter of comfort but there is no right or wrong in what to wear. Now, if you will be venturing out on your own before or after the tour, then you do need to be a tad more careful in what you wear to avoid any unwanted attention.

Let me know if you have any more questions and feel free to visit my blog for more info! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 Dec 2010 Krista said

Krista

Hello,

I will be going on the tour in a few days, and I am planning on packing a bunch of capries, and tops that cover my shoulder. I am planning on wearing a few dresses while I am there, and I will be wearing leggings under the dresses in case the dresses are too short.

• 30 Dec 2010 gator717 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krista:
    Hello,

I will be going on the tour in a few days, and I am planning on packing a bunch of capries, and tops that cover my shoulder. I am planning on wearing a few dresses while I am there, and I will be wearing leggings under the dresses in case the dresses are too short.

Capris are a good idea but don’t forget to take at least one pair of long pants. It can get quite chilly in the mornings during the winter months. I remember the morning we headed to the Aswan airport, on the way to Abu Simbel, at around 4am that it was quite cold and this was the first week of November! Dresses are ok, I had a few tour mates wear dresses without a problem.

Have a great tour! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.