Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Jet Lag and Everything Else...

2 Oct 2007 benseenie said

Default_avatar
Help!

I'm flying to London from the west coast of Canada, and my internal clock is going to be totally off. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions when it comes to losing hours of the day? Things to eat, when to sleep, anything to avoid? I would appreciate it oh so much!

Laura
  • 3 Oct 2007 NatalieAnne said

Default_avatar

Ive been told not to drink alcohol on the plane and to drink heaps of water and just keep the fluids up to avoid dehydration. I’m flying for 23 hours from Sydney and will be travelling/in transit for more than 48 hours straight……..not looking foward to it!

• 3 Oct 2007 kath_aus said

Default_avatar

I’ve found that once you’re on the plane it’s good to set your watch to your destination time and only sleep when it is night there.This will help prepare you for when you land at your destination. Also if you arrive during the day do whatever you can to stay awake until night…don’t go for an afternoon nanna nap!

• 3 Oct 2007 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

Try not to sleep until it is a proper time in London, this will help. Also if you can arrive a day or so before your tour you will be more adjusted to the time zone when the tour starts.

There are a few tricks to help with jetlag, I read an article saying part of the issue is de-hydration.. So drink lots of water on the plane. A friend of mine brings nasal spray because it helps hydrate your nasal area. I have never seen anyone handle jet lag as well as her.

Anywho, good luck London is an awesome city Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Oct 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

For jet lag try to get a flight that leaves your area at night and gets in in the daylight preferrably around noonish ect. And don’t take a nap what ever you do. Take a shower and get out walking you will feel better later. Also stay away from the alcohol the couple of days before and after you get there. Take nasal spray and spray once an hour. The air on the plane is aweful! Start taking airborn a couple of days before you leave and when you get there even if you are feeling ok. It won’t hurt you either way.

Start taking multi vitamins and drink orange juice on the plane stay away from anything with a lot of salt or sugar.

I flew from Phoenix, Az to Newark, nj to Rome and was up for about 30 hours once I actually fell asleep. The flight home from athens was just about the same.

If you have ear problems you can take a sudafed plus that will help you sleep on the plane as well. If your feet get hot like mine I get a nice leg cooling gel from The Body Shop or similar works quite well.

Get up and walk around every 2 hours and wear support socks to avoid getting leg clots very serious. Purchase a huge bottle of water or gatorade once you are past security to take on the plane they never serve you enough. And get some protine bars to help along the way. Any questions just ask. I’ve also got to Australia, Italy, and Greece.

• 4 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

The most common advice (without taking supplements) is to start acting on your destination time BEFORE you leave. Eat meals and sleep when appropriate and you will adjust much better once you actually land.

Also, avoid alcohol and caffiene on the plane as they will dehydrate you.

When you land in your destination, if you land in the early morning allow yourself a 2 hour nap. If you land after midday, you have to last until 7pm before you let yourself sleep.

Good luck Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Oh and I guess the same applies with your trip home, but no one is ever as concerned about that Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Oct 2007 benseenie said

Default_avatar

Thanks! That’s great advice.
    …but one thing! Exactly what is Airborne? Is that some type of gravol? :P

• 4 Oct 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

If you’re flying in the evening and arriving in the morning take a sleeping pill or an antihystmine (to make you drowsy) My friend flew from NYC to Japan and was pretty much the only one on the plane that wasn’t taking something.

• 10 Oct 2007 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I bought the Jet Ease pills because I’d heard such good things about them, but never ended up having to use them.

After not being able to sleep the day before our trip because of excitement, we got to the airport 3-4 hours early, and our plane was delayed 16 hours. We left Toronto at noon the next day and arrived in London at 2am London time. I don’t think I slept more than an hour on the plane, and we were given complementary alcohol because of our delay (which I was happy to take)…despite all this, I didn’t have jet lag. I basically ran on adrenalin the whole time…but I was exhausted when I returned home.

But I don’t think you’ll have a big problem with jet lag. I was prepared to the hilt and didn’t find it an issue at all. But if anything else, pick up a pack of Jet Ease because I’ve heard they’re the best, and I know some people who won’t fly without them.

• 10 Oct 2007 Davo said

Default_avatar

Drink 2 glasses of water every hour on the flight, then once you have 2 hours left, go absolutely crazy with the booze, you will be fuelled up and ready when you land and not tired at all, only probelm though is you might have to constantly go to the toilet and it can become quite painful come landing time. Also get a luggage trolly on arrival at airport, aids in helping you to standup. Bit of chewy to keep your breath minty clean and you’ll be right as rain to take in the foreign surroundings around you. Enjoy!

• 15 Oct 2007 LM* said

Default_avatar

As a first time international traveller, I read with interest all of the threads to take in some excellent advice regarding jetlag. They were all very imformative!

But the funniest thread was Davo’s. With humour and a name like that, he HAS to be Australian. Am I right?

• 15 Oct 2007 Davo said

Default_avatar

Your on the mark LM, im a true blue, hinky dory Aussie. Hey and trust me my jet lag theory works.

• 15 Oct 2007 Davo said

Default_avatar

Sorry ment hunky before but im crap typer. Hey praha im a paramedic so already have a completely screwed up sleeping pattern, and the best thing to combat tiredness is booze, but you got have heaps to fuel you up, 1 or 2 will put you to sleep. Trust me been theres been many a hard night shifts, but go home in the morning and start drinking by 9am, will give you another good 14 hours.
    Remember this poem. one to four and end up on the floor, 5 to 8 and you will feel great. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion