Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best of USA (LA-NY) November 2014

17 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis asked

Connie Arronis

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone is looking at going on the Best of USA (LA-NY) trip from 17-30 November?

• 19 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

Hi!
    I’m looking at doing this trip on those dates! Where are you from?
    Hayley :)

• 20 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis said

Connie Arronis

Hi Hayley!
    That’s awesome, this trip sounds so great!
    I’m from Sydney, how about you?
    Are you thinking of travelling solo or with some friends?
    Connie :)

• 20 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

Hi Connie!
    It sounds amazing doesn’t it?!
    I’m from Melbourne :)
    I’m thinking of travelling with about 2 friends but will most likely be travelling over solo and meeting them over there! How about you? It’s all very exciting!

• 21 Apr 2014 nattnat3 said

nattnat3

I’m going on this contiki :)
    I’m going solo and from Townsville, Australia !

• 21 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis said

Connie Arronis

Hayley, at this stage, I will most likely be travelling solo, but I am still trying to recruit some friends to come along!

It’s nice to hear from you Nat :) So, you’re definitely booked in for this trip? Do you know how many people are going so far?

• 22 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

Either way I’m sure it will be amazing Connie! :)

Hello Nat :) Nice to hear from you also! Just wondering, if you have booked the contiki, have you booked your flights yet? :)

At this stage it is looking like I will be going to the travel agent this time next week to hopefully book! I can’t decide how long I want to spend in LA pre tour. I was thinking 2 days? To allow time for jetlag and abit of extra exploring? Have you guys decided any of that stuff yet? So much to think about!

Look forward to hearing from you guys or anyone else :)

• 22 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis said

Connie Arronis

Hey girls :)

That’s exciting that you are close to booking Hayley! At this stage, I am potentially thinking of flying to LA on Friday 14th November to give me about 3 days in LA pre tour. I think it’d be good to help with the jet lag and to settle in. I’d also like to get an extra day at the theme parks, especially Disneyland :)

• 22 Apr 2014 nattnat3 said

nattnat3

Hey! Nice to hear from all of you! I’m all booked, so far only 4 people have joined the meet ups but that doesn’t mean that’s all there is plus it’s super early. I fly to the states late October as I’m staying with some friends in Seattle. Pretty sure im flying in on the 14th of November to LA and planning to spend one day pre tour at six flags! I’m also staying an extra 4 nights in New York post tour and staying in times square. Does anyone plan to stay on in New York a few days!

Hayley

Hey again girls!

Great to hear some of your plans! They sound fantastic :) That sounds amazing Nat! Great that you have friends to stay with too! Ive heard great things about Six Flags!

My friends that are doing the tour as well have decided they are going to fly into LA on the night before the tour starts (16th), as they are spending a few nights in Hawaii first. I would like to fly in a little earlier than that like you guys, maybe on the 14th as well, as I am not sure how my I will be with jetlag ect and I would also like to make sure I can squeeze all the amazing hemeparks in! But I’m a little scared about doing that on my own! So if you guys will be around on the few days before the tour perhaps we could meet up and do some activities? Would you girls be staying at the same hotel in LA that the contiki begins from? (Think its called Figueroa Hotel?) Cause I’m thinking of doing that so I don’t have to move around when the tour begins but would be interested to hear what you guys are doing/planning on doing :)

And yes Nat ill probably be staying in NY post tour for 2 extra nights, and then 2 nights in Washington and then flying home :) It’s so exciting planning it all!

Hayley

Although… I’m thinking of skipping DC if I’m short on $$$!
    Would you guys be flying home from NY? I will probably be flying back to LA, then home :)

nattnat3

I’m staying at the contiki hotel and me and one other girl have been discussing to join us and head to a theme park so you are definitely welcome to join, the more the better! I’m a little worried being in LA alone so glad there might be a few others earlier

• 22 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis said

Connie Arronis

Hey girls, your ideas sound great!

I would definitely be keen on joining up and going to themeparks on the days pre tour in LA.

At this stage, I’m not sure if I will be staying a few extra nights in New York. The itinerary looks pretty full in New York and seems to cover the major attractions.

What are you planning to do on the extra days you stay on in New York?

Also, Hayley, how did you find out which hotels we will be staying at (Figueroa in LA)?

nattnat3

Because new york is tin place I really want to go, I just want to make sure I can do everything and I didn’t think I could do that in the time on the contiki. They also light the rockefella Xmas tree before I leave! I wanted to stay over Xmas but it didn’t work out so at least ill get to see the start of it

• 23 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

That sounds great! Would be fantastic if we could meet up in the days before and do some themeparks ect :) Very reassuring that there are others going solo so we won’t be alone :)

Connie – I’m just planning on staying the extra few nights in NY for the same reasons as Nat, it’s probably the place I have always wanted to visit the most and want to make sure I cover all bases :) And also if I stay the extra few days it rounds my trip to 3 weeks in total :)
    I only know about the hotel as my other friends have already booked into the tour and were given the address of the hotel so they could book their accommodation pre tour at the same hotel :)

• 23 Apr 2014 Ruby said

Ruby

Hi. I too am wanting to go on this tour but I have no one to go with. I also wanted to spend extra time in la before the tour and spend extra days in new york as well. Let me know if your interested in doing some travelling together

• 24 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

Hey Ruby! Sure thing :) I’m sure alot of us will be in the same position before and after the tour so I’m sure we can all meet up :)

• 24 Apr 2014 Ruby said

Ruby

Hey Hayley. I am assuming you haven’t booked yet. I haven’t booked yet but I scared with travelling myself for those extra days. I’m from Brisbane. I wanted to spend 3 days beforehand in LA. I wanted to spend one of those days at Disneyland and for the other 2 days I wanted to do some shopping (I have heard it is amazing) and see other places. After the tour finished I wanted to spend maybe 4 days extra in New York as this is the place I really want to see. I wanted to watch a broadway show, go and watch a basketball game, go on the train, shopping, central park zoo and see other tourist destinations. I have been talking to a travel agent about prices and she is looking into it for me. Were you travelling with friends? I would like to spend 3 weeks in total as well.

• 24 Apr 2014 nattnat3 said

nattnat3

They have the hotels where we stay on the contiki on their website but it normally is tricky to find. For those who plan to stay in New York those extra days was anyone thinking about staying in times square. I moved hotels just for my security so I didn’t have to travel to get anywhere at night and I felt a lot safer where everyone is. My travel agent did say the contiki hotel isn’t quite in times square. Good to know others are thinking the same, wasn’t keen on being myself completely for those last few days. By that stage I’ll be in the US for 6 weeks so I might accustomed to everything

• 25 Apr 2014 Hayley said

Hayley

Hi Ruby! No I haven’t booked yet, I’m hoping to go to a travel agent in the next week or so and get it all happening! It sounds like you have got a good idea about what you want to see which will help alot with planning days ect! I also would like atleast 3 days before the tour to settle in. I few of us are looking at doing themeparks like disneyland ect and I’m sure we will make time for shopping as well! At this stage I am thinking of spending atleast 2 days after the tour finishes (so the sunday 30th and mon 1st) and then I will most likely be flying back to LA and then LA to melb on tuesday 2nd as I need to be home by Thurs 4th/Fri 5th. But that is not set in concrete. I would also love to go see a broadway show and see some sort of sports game whether thats in LA or NY. and definately central park zoo. Im hoping I can fit everything in.

Ruby – I might consider times square if it is closer to everything! I don’t fancy being to far away from the main attractions either. Would def feel alot safer if it is more centrally located. What hotel have you booked into? My other two friends on the tour havent booked NY accommodation for after the tour either so I can talk to them about it too. Would be good to save on travelling time ect too. I’m sure by 6 weeks you will be quite settled in :)

• 25 Apr 2014 Connie Arronis said

Connie Arronis

Hey again girls!

I’m hoping to book in the next few weeks if all goes well.

At this stage, I’ve reconsidered and am thinking to possibly stay about 2-3 nights extra in New York. I’d love to see more of the Empire State, Central Park and all the other major attractions. Plus, it’d be awesome to see a Broadway show too. I have not considered which hotel I would possibly stay at yet in New York. Like you Hayley, at the moment I am hoping to return home by December 4 or 5 as well. I’d probably depart directly from New York though.

In terms of the days in LA pre tour, like I’ve mentioned earlier, I’m thinking to arrive on Friday the 14th. During the extra days, I’d love to go see a baseball game and maybe get an extra day at Disneyland and Universal Studios because I don’t know if the free days on Days 2-3 will be sufficient time for these theme parks.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.