Community_discussions_small  

Comment

white water rafting

8 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar
Just wondering in what months can u do the white water rafting. I am going in Sept./Oct. Is it still available then?
  • 9 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Hello, I’ve just done rafting, and I’m pretty sure the dude said they go until about November. Just ask your tour guide though. It was awesome – recommend it.

• 9 Jun 2008 Sarah131 said

Default_avatar

Hi Corinna, I went on 29th September last year to 20th October and they said we had just missed out because the winter season starts around September and it would have been way to cold for us to do it!!

• 9 Jun 2008 jonnyboy said

jonnyboy

I just checked the itinerary for my tour and our day to river raft in Austria would be September 30th. Does that fall within the period of availble rafting or is that gonna be cutting it close? Or am I just S.O.L.?

• 9 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar

jonnyboy,

what tour are you on?

• 9 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I went mid August and the Austrian waters were as balmy as a bucket of ice.

- Vic

• 10 Jun 2008 Kirijane123 said

Default_avatar

This is unfortunate, my trip has that option but we aren’t in Austria until the 8th of October, so I’m guessing there isn’t a very big chance of us getting to do it is there?
    I was quite keen to do it, oh well…can’t do much about it I guess…

• 10 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar

Kirijane123

What trip are you on?

• 10 Jun 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar

Is there some where to change into the wet-suits or are you just expected to slip it over your bathers in front of everyone?

• 10 Jun 2008 Sherbie Woo said

Sherbie Woo

This may sound dumb, but I’m really interested in doing this because the majority says its such an awesome experience and a “must”. However, I can’t swim Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> . I know! What’s wrong with me? But can anyone kind of give me a brief about what exactly happens when one does this?

thanks!

• 10 Jun 2008 Kirijane123 said

Default_avatar

Corrina – I am on the European Adventurer – 9th Sept…

• 10 Jun 2008 jonnyboy said

jonnyboy

Corrina, I’m on the European Inspiration leaving London on Sept 22. What are you on?

• 10 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by mattyvcontiki:

Notbeing able to swim I wouldn’t recommend doing this as even though you’ve got all the safety gear, you may need to swim back to the raft at some point.

Ahh.. I can’t swim either——- nooo, but i still wanna do it! X_X

• 10 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar

jonnyboy

I am on the european escapde leaving london Sept 20th.

• 10 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

There are no lockers, you just leave everything on the bus which the tour manager and driver do not leave. I feel much more comfortable leaving my things with them than a random locker anyway (considering by then you would have done it many times on your trip).

The pictures start at 8 euro. They take a group picture of everyone before you start and a few action shots along the way. When you finish they give you an array of options on what you can buy, but its all expensive. I took a waterproof camera on with me and got a few good shots

(Or you can do it the cheap way and hope someone buys at least one and puts it on facebook for free)

• 10 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Yeah … take a look at those photos that Matty posted. Water flows down, and what do you see on top of the mountain where the water originates? Yes, that white stuff is snow and ice, and by the time it reaches you – it’s only slightly warmer than that white stuff !!!

- Vic Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 11 Jun 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

and again, what is there to do while the others are off getting satched? havent fully made up my mind yet aye…

• 11 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

benji, I have worn my prescription sunglasses each time I’ve rafted. I use one of those rubber straps so they won’t come off your head. I had no issues, even when we went over a major drop and our guide intentionally knocked us out of the raft.

The water is indeed always cold, so like it or not, the wetsuit is needed.

PS Sorry about grossing you out on the other thread.
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by peteywoods:
    and again, what is there to do while the others are off getting satched? havent fully made up my mind yet aye…

Ahh… so the cat’s out of the bag. I wonder if I can beg to not be pushed overboard, lol……. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to do this! But, b/c of my ability to swim as well as a rock, I fear I will not survive! Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

Ahahaha.. no worries, work2travel- I appreciate the comment you made! Otherwise, I might not pack my 1piece swimsuit.. lol.

And what are these rubber straps that you speak of??? goggle-type straps? Or, the only thing i could think of was those meter-long strings, which have rubber ends that you can attach to each side of the glasses! What do they look like? Where do you get em? Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> thx

• 11 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

The wetsuit by itself should keep you afloat – and on top of that, you’ve got a lifejacket on. If you fall out, you just have to get back to the boat or just simple float down stream on your back. The rapids are quite tame though so no worries (class 2 … and maybe 5 seconds of a class 3).

- Vic

• 12 Jun 2008 Vashnie said

Vashnie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattyvcontiki:

Notbeing able to swim I wouldn’t recommend doing this as even though you’ve got all the safety gear, you may need to swim back to the raft at some point.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi guys, i would really like to do the white water rafting but I am a bit physically challenged, lol, i can not swim.
    Has anyone who can not swim done the white water rafting ?
    I would love to hear your experiences.

EURO DISCOVERY – 24 JUNE – 05 JULY 2008

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.