Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Contiki Sucks

2 Jun 2009 Explorer1122537 said

Default_avatar
Going on Contiki was thee worst idea of my life. If you want the REAL travel experience go on your own. On account of a late night where everyone including the tour managers got smashed we only had 45 minutes in Versailles. the entire trip your free time was every second day from about 11 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon which is not enough time to see what a city has to offer, but hey if your up to wasting your money getting smashed every night hooking up with a different person than this is the perfect tour for you, but if your an actual traveler you have to know that all the experiences that you have from meeting random people and losing yourself in the culture of each place you go than stay away from Contiki. I left my tour half way through to go on my own and it was the best decision.
  • 2 Jun 2009 AbeL said

AbeL

It all depends on what you are looking for. While I think you could’ve titled this differently, you illustrate how everyone needs to do research and be informed before spending thousands of dollars. Your not-so-fun experience is another persons time-of-their-life. So, while it sucks that you did not have the experience that you were expecting/hoping/wanting, it doesn’t mean that others are not “actual travelers”. Everyone is different; if you wanted to meet random people and lose yourself in the culture then a tour group is most likely not for you. You are most likely better of booking an independent travel package (air and hotel) or just booking air and staying in a hostel. Hostels are cool places to meet random people also. I’ve done contiki’s and had a GREAT time and I’ve done independent travel and had a GREAT time. It’s just a matter of what you want and being informed for each holiday.

• 2 Jun 2009 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

I am sorry you did not have the experience you wished for on this trip. I have to ask, what did you expect? When you look at the itinerary you have to understand there will not be much time at each of the sites. I don’t think contiki is misleading on this fact. You need to realize the amount of places you were able to see in a short time period for an affordable price. If you expected to be longer in each place you would need to be on a longer tour and taken expensive flights to each country.
    On all the contiki tours I have been on, no one was forced to get smashed and hook up every night. It was made clear that you can spend your free time how you please.
    What did you expect contiki to do differently?

• 5 Jun 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

If you want to get more respect on the board you might want to write actual complaints about the tour that were not what you expected (based on your research of the trip) or were promised to you.

Getting smashed and hooking up for many is called a good time. I never hooked up and didn’t drink all that much (never got smashed) but had a good time and was never bitter for those who did.

The only actual complaints I heard about the tour from you was the you were only at Versailles for 45 minutes. You hint that it was because everyone is hung over, but was it an actual late departure or is it scheduled that way? I honestly have no idea… Don’t forget you’re on a tour with 50 other people so your priorities may not be everyone elses.
    And you don’t think that 5 hours in a city is enough time, but if you’ve done your research you would have known you’re only in cities a couple hours. Which makes me wonder why you did a contiki tour, if it was so easy for you to leave a tour and go on your own (planning is trip is NOT for everyone) why didn’t you do that in the first place? Or at least do a bit of research about the tours first so that you knew what you were getting into.

• 11 Jun 2009 Mel said

Mel

im doing contiki because of all that! im too scared to go around europe by myself so id rather go with a group! i want a fast paced trip coz ill get bored if i stay in the one place too long and i want to meet new friends not only other travellers from cananda or NZ but also fellow aussies who i can meet up with after the trip! you dont HAVE to get smashed every night. you have every right to go off and explore the town by yourself without drinking and get lost in the culture of each place by yourself while you are still on the tour! im suprised you did not expect any of this! i thought it was quite obvious!

• 8 Jul 2009 maRGas said

Default_avatar

what a douche

• 25 Jul 2009 blackbird said

blackbird

Your trip is whatever you make it into. I have been on several contiki tours, and I am not interested in drinking or hooking up, but I have enjoyed every tour, and never felt like I missed out on experiencing the culture, and see the highlights of the various cities. You have to know what you’re signing up for…obviously there’s a schedule, there are 49 other people to accomodate, and your priorites aren’t going to come before anyone else..that’s just the way it works. From my experience, you can have as much free time as you want in the cities, if you’re willing to find your own way from the hotel and back (if you dont want to go along with the bus), nobody forces you to be somewhere at a certain time. I’m sorry you had a disappointing trip, but it doesn’t sound like it’s the fault of contiki..perhaps you should have done a little more research about what was the be expected.

• 4 Oct 2009 michelle80 said

Default_avatar
    CONTIKI DOESNT NOT SUCK
    i HAVE JUST GOT BACK FROM MY 8TH CONTIKI TOUR AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I AM GONNA KEEP TRAVELING WITH THEM UNTIL THE AGE LIMIT STOPS ME.

GO CONTIKI, U ARE THE BEST
  • 7 Oct 2009 Katie said

Katie
    quote:
    Originally posted by maRGas:
    what a douche

baaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

i agree.

• 11 Oct 2009 Explorer1153490 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1122537:
    Going on Contiki was thee worst idea of my life. If you want the REAL travel experience go on your own. On account of a late night where everyone including the tour managers got smashed we only had 45 minutes in Versailles. the entire trip your free time was every second day from about 11 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon which is not enough time to see what a city has to offer, but hey if your up to wasting your money getting smashed every night hooking up with a different person than this is the perfect tour for you, but if your an actual traveler you have to know that all the experiences that you have from meeting random people and losing yourself in the culture of each place you go than stay away from Contiki. I left my tour half way through to go on my own and it was the best decision.
  • 11 Oct 2009 Explorer1153490 said

Default_avatar

too bad you had this bad experience. this world is made up of all sorts of people. I suggest you travel with a group of your friends “if” you go on this again. My son had problems with the fellow contiki idiots he was travelling with. He actually did enjoy the cultural side of it though.

• 18 Oct 2009 Explorer1153615 said

Default_avatar

I am going on this trip Dec 18 .. and i plan on getting smashed and hooking up with people … cant wait !sounds great

• 11 Nov 2009 TJMKiwi said

Default_avatar

Just like to say, That what contiki is for, thats the rep they have. You wana see culture and stuff go through G.A.P or Intrepid way better for that stuff.

• 29 Nov 2009 Gatty said

Gatty
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1122537:
    Going on Contiki was thee worst idea of my life. If you want the REAL travel experience go on your own. On account of a late night where everyone including the tour managers got smashed we only had 45 minutes in Versailles. the entire trip your free time was every second day from about 11 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon which is not enough time to see what a city has to offer, but hey if your up to wasting your money getting smashed every night hooking up with a different person

than this is the perfect tour for you, but if your an actual traveler you have to know that all the experiences that you have from meeting random people and losing yourself in the culture of each place you go than stay away from Contiki. I left my tour half way through to go on my own and it was the best decision.

Now this is my type of tour!!!
    Can’t wait till I go on mine!

• 22 Nov 2010 Carrie EuroFugg 2011 said

Carrie EuroFugg 2011

You were lucky, Versailles isnt on my tour and im bummed Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> but still excited as hell bring on Contiki Highlights June 8 2011, Contiki rules!!

• 26 Nov 2010 CameraON said

CameraON

Doing a Contiki tour was one of my biggest regrets also. It taught me to tell all my friends to see the world on their own. I agree most of the customers are idiots who are their to drink and have zero culture on interest in culture. I warn many of my friends not to go on a contiki. Tons of idiots on my toured just ruined my experience!

• 29 Nov 2010 Dani xx said

Default_avatar

CameraOn how old are you??

• 30 Nov 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

Honestly people contiki is what you make it. if you had a bad time then thats wat you made of it. i had a great time. it was the best time of my life. yes i drank every night but not get smashed yes i did experience the culture and the reason i went on a contiki was because i was interested in the culture and learning about europe and it was the cheapest and easiest way to go about it. you meet all sorts of great people and you get the insight of what goes on.
    so CameraOn please dont go judging and name calling coz there are alot more of us “Idiots” who enjoy the culture and experience of Europe through contiki then there are of you sourpusses who made the worst of their time in one of the best continents in the world.

• 30 Nov 2010 LadyRainbow said

LadyRainbow

CameraON, you sound like a ray of sunshine and I hope I have 50 people just like you on my next tour Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 30 Nov 2010 Vancouver, I Love You said

Vancouver, I Love You

I find it rather absurd that you would have the audacity to come on these boards and essentially bash people because of how they choose to have fun while on VACATION. It came across as rather condescending and stuck-up, to be honest – I’m sure you were a real joy to have around on the tour (and I mean that sarcastically).

So what if they get smashed and hook up every night? If that’s what they want to do, you’re a douche to judge them for it.

What makes your version of traveling “better” than anyone else’s, anyway? Rude, rude, rude.

I’ve never been on a Contiki but me and one of my friends are looking to do one to Greece this summer. Unlike the moron who created this thread, we’re actually doing our research on what the tour is like. We’re both VERY interested in the culture (especially me, I’m a total Europhile!) but also want to have fun and meet people without spending a ton. We’re broke university students for goodness’ sake, lol!

Ugh.Some people are just ignorant.

• 15 Feb 2011 Explorer1225002 said

Default_avatar

Vancouver, I Love You – if you have never been on a Contiki tour then why say that the original poster is wrong.
    Contiki does suck and is a complete waste of money. Well to be honest that may have just been my tour. Whilst the rest of my group did get drunk every night, that did not bother me, but the fact that they all pretend to be hungover was just annoying. Dont know why they go travelling to get drunk. Have they heard of a bar?
    What was poorest about Contiki is the standard of accomodation and the fact that nothing is included in the price. On some occasions we didn’t even get a place to sleep. The whole tour was very poorly organised and I could not wait for it to be over.
    If you have never been on Contiki I would advise checking reviews online as a lot show how bad they are.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.