Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Contiki Sucks

2 Jun 2009 Explorer1122537 said

Default_avatar
Going on Contiki was thee worst idea of my life. If you want the REAL travel experience go on your own. On account of a late night where everyone including the tour managers got smashed we only had 45 minutes in Versailles. the entire trip your free time was every second day from about 11 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon which is not enough time to see what a city has to offer, but hey if your up to wasting your money getting smashed every night hooking up with a different person than this is the perfect tour for you, but if your an actual traveler you have to know that all the experiences that you have from meeting random people and losing yourself in the culture of each place you go than stay away from Contiki. I left my tour half way through to go on my own and it was the best decision.
  • 16 Feb 2011 Katie said

Katie

Here’s an idea, how about you let people decide whether or not contiki actually sucks for themselves? I had the best fun of my life on my tour and made fantastic new friends along the way. I understand that this may not be the same experience for everyone, but you still have to observe the fact that 90% of people love contiki. I think any disappointment that you can’t get over is due to a lack of research beforehand. I’m not typically a party or drinking oriented person but I did know that those were prevalent activities with Contiki, and for those 5 weeks I was the party person! There’s no harm in doing the cultural stuff in the day and partying at night. If you don’t want to party, go and find something else to do, it’s as easy as that. Let’s remember that Contiki aren’t prison wardens, you’re free to leave at any time!

• 17 Feb 2011 Kiwi Explorer said

Kiwi Explorer

Contiki doesn’t suck, you stupid people who don’t research and then feel the need to bitch about it are the idiots.
    Life is what you make it and that goes for Contiki, It’s pretty clear even without much research that contiki provides a service for people to see other countries while meet new people within a predetermined time , tour and budget.
    I have read so many more positive comments than bad and all the bad are exactly the same, ignorant people who ddn’t do their homework so stop your bitching.
    I am doing the Ultimate European and then Great Britain and Ireland tours this summer and am looking foward to anything and everything that happens because having an open mind is what Contiki is about.

• 18 Feb 2011 Explorer1225002 said

Default_avatar

Why should anyone have to do research on Contiki. The information should be supplied in thier brochures. When I book a tour I shouldn’t have to go trawling though websites to see if they are reliable

• 18 Feb 2011 Kiwi Explorer said

Kiwi Explorer

So you would buy a car just by looking at the bruchure? And before you go and say it’s not the same it is anyone spending a considerable amount of money on something will research it..common sense

• 18 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

Any time you spend thousands of dollars on something you should be doing research.

When people refer to doing research the idea is to understand what a tour is, what type of people will be on it – what type of experience you will have. Just as if you want to go to a hotel or a resort you would research what is included, what level it is (budget, moderate, luxury). It’s not per say researching Contiki, but educating yourself on what a tour is and what different tours offer. There is a wide range of tours in the world, some are extremely guided, others are just transportation.

What happens is that people want to go to europe, maybe they don’t want to plan the trip, do the research, etc. But they’re very independent minded and looking for an independent type of trip. They pick a contiki tour because it hits all the place they want to go, the price seems reasonable and they don’t have to do much research on transportation, hotels, etc. But, because they didn’t take a little time to find out what a Contiki tour entails they are disappointed or hate their tour.

Some of the information is in the brochure, but asking a travel agent and friends is research too, you don’t have to write a paper on it, but you any time you spend a couple thousand dollars on something you should be doing some research on it.

This isn’t a problem associated only to Contiki, there are plenty of people who to go Disney World – it’s a big amusement park how complicated can it be? Well the average guest sees 9-10 attractions in a day. I just went to Disneyland for the first time ever, I researched the parks – I saw 20 attractions each day of 2 days, never waited on a line for more then 30 mintues and didn’t miss any attractions I wanted to see and had plenty of free time to eat and shop. If I didn’t do research I wouldn’t have seen nearly as much and I would have been disappointed.

• 18 Feb 2011 nervous_traveler said

nervous_traveler

I must admit i heard something similar from someone at work who had taken a contiki tour last year. It didn’t bother her and she still sounded like she had a good time. I think her main issue was that there were a lot of people on her tour that were young and they were in europe just to get trashed. She couldn’t understand how they could afford the tours in the first place or why after spending that much money on the tours just to spend it drunk. For me this will be my first tour in Europe, To avoid the problem that the person who started this discussion had i have broken the places i want to see across to different companies. My first tour i picked because it allowed me maximum free time. Contiki is my second tour. I picked this one cause there was a smaller gap between when my first tour ends and this one beguins. I think the main point of all my rambling on is that i did my homework and looked at all the tour companies throughly before i made a decision on which one to take. I also read all the reviews i could so then if something does happen i wont be suprised.

• 18 Feb 2011 nervous_traveler said

nervous_traveler

I must admit i heard something similar from someone at work who had taken a contiki tour last year. It didn’t bother her and she still sounded like she had a good time. I think her main issue was that there were a lot of people on her tour that were young and they were in europe just to get trashed. She couldn’t understand how they could afford the tours in the first place or why after spending that much money on the tours just to spend it drunk. For me this will be my first tour in Europe, To avoid the problem that the person who started this discussion had i have broken the places i want to see across to different companies. My first tour i picked because it allowed me maximum free time. Contiki is my second tour. I picked this one cause there was a smaller gap between when my first tour ends and this one beguins. I think the main point of all my rambling on is that i did my homework and looked at all the tour companies throughly before i made a decision on which one to take. I also read all the reviews i could so then if something does happen i wont be suprised.

• 18 Feb 2011 Jennieva30 said

Jennieva30

I think that the tour is what you make of it and if you are the type of person that will let others’ actions affect your mood then yes you will most likely have a horrible time. I have never been on contiki tour but i know a handful of people who have gone and i can tell you that for the price if you took that money on your own you would not get far in Europe. Planning a trip to Europe is a HUUUUGE deal and you have to be able to be flexible and understand that everyone has the right to enjoy their vacation as they see fit,. I can’t wait for my first contiki trip!!! :)

• 20 Feb 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

Personally I think the research and planning of any trip is all part of the experience. These whingers on here dont sound like the sort of people who would know how to have fun anyway, drunk or sober!!

Kiwi explorer, what date do you depart on your UE, im doing that too leaving May 1…

• 20 Feb 2011 bryn said

Default_avatar

Bet this guy works for top deck haha

• 20 Feb 2011 Kiwi Explorer said

Kiwi Explorer

Hey Jase78 I’m on the May 18th tour

• 20 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve heard from a couple different places that planning your vacation is the best part of it. Kinda sad, but there have definitely been some vacations where I felt that way.

• 25 Mar 2011 Explorer1225002 said

Default_avatar

well if planning and researching a holiday is the best part of it, it just goes to show how bad that holiday is. If that was the case you could just keep planning holidays and cancelling them. Saves u a fortune

• 8 Apr 2011 Elena said

Elena

I am taking my first trip to Italy through Contiki! :) While I can’t comment and back it up with experience, I have been reading a lot on the dangers of Italy and reviews from people who both enjoyed their trips and didn’t. I’m not a partying person at all, but I’m going to plan in advance to find myself something to do so I don’t feel lonely not-partying or drinking! :) Frankly, if the bus is quiet the next day because of hung-over people, I’d enjoy it more than a bus where everyone would be too loud!

• 15 May 2011 Lauren34 said

Lauren34

Contiki is designed for adults aged 18-35. If that isn’t an indication that there will be partying and various degrees of hooking up, then I don’t know what is.

To say that Contiki travellers don’t value culture is absolutely absurd. I am going on my first Contiki tour in a mere 29 days (not that I am counting) and experiencing ~7 distinct cultures in 10 days is what I am looking forward to the most. And if alcohol isn’t a part of European culture, I’ll eat my money belt.

• 19 May 2011 RandomTraveller said

RandomTraveller

I’ve never been on one (i am going soon though!) but there’s enough information in the itinerary and enough discussion forums out there for you to know exactly what you’re getting into.. silly post

• 16 Jul 2011 Rod Jones! said

Rod Jones!

I find it stange that only one person out of the already 37 comments actually agree with you. If you think contiki sucked then maybe think about what ppl on your tour thought of you. I CANT WAIT FOR CONTIKI

• 8 Aug 2011 LeonNZ88 said

LeonNZ88

Haha contiki was the time of my life! and already have 2 more big tours lined up.
    I bet you were the most boring person on tour and just kept to yourself.
    Contiki is all about GETTING INVOLVED, talk to everyone in your group, do all the optionals, go have a few drinks with your tourmates, have some random hookups and see the world all at the same time!
    Then you WILL have a trip to remember!
    contiki is just as much about the people on the tour as is sightseeing.
    enough said, take my advice and i guarantee a good trip!

• 8 Aug 2011 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

thats funny. you’re actually in the minority when it comes to liking contiki. I bet less than 5% that go on these tours end up hating it. every one i know that went, said they had a great time and most of them did not get smashed constantly and hook up with someone new every night

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion