Community_discussions_small  

Question

London: Travel card or visitor oyster card?

23 Apr 2014 Rosez asked

Rosez

This may have been brought up before but I couldn't find anything recent. I have 6 days in total of free time in London: 3 days before my tour and 3 days after my tour (last day I need to get to Heathrow airport). should I get the Visitor oyster card or the 7 day Travel card? (I'm not sure if the 7 day travel card has to be used consecutively)

any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated :)

• 23 Apr 2014 ashlee said

ashlee

What do you want the card for? From Heathrow to central London you can get a one way pass for about £5. An oyster card costs £10 (£5 to buy it, then you pay £5 or more to top it up). You can then get a travel card put onto the oyster card which means if your doing a lot of travel in your 3days it’s cheaper then straight oyster. Also something to look out for is that rush hour travel costs more, so try avoid those times. I’m currently in London, have a week before my tour so have an oyster card with a 1week travel card on it. I will let you know how much it cost later if you like and try find out if you have to use it consecutively from my friend who lives here

• 23 Apr 2014 Rosez said

Rosez

I want to travel through London city area and out bound. Site see other places that aren’t on the tour. (its more for “just in case, something happens” and/or “OMG my feet are hurting” pass :D) If you could let me know if the 1 week travel card has to be used on consecutive days, that would be awesome! thanks so much for your helpful comment.

• 26 Apr 2014 ashlee said

ashlee

Hey again. Yes you do have to use them consecutively, but it’s only about 30£ for a 7 day one in zones 1-2 (trust me that’s all you need) when you first arrive at the airport train station I would get an oyster and straight away put the travel card onto it. I’ve been using my card heaps so it’s totally worth it. Hope that helps

• 26 Apr 2014 Sarah.h said

Sarah.h

Go with an Oyster card, best traveling choice of my life, would have cost me wayyy more to buy individual tickets (I got the 7 day Oyster card) I’ve been round the city heaps in the last 4 days and all you do is tap it on the sensor and away you go.

• 28 Apr 2014 Rosez said

Rosez

ok thanks ladies!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion