Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money & travel Visa cards

1 May 2014 kels_0892 asked

kels_0892

Hey guys.. I'm off to Europe for 5 weeks & was wondering what people's opinions are on how much spending money i'll need? I'm not a huge drinker so probably won't spend much money there.. & what's ur opinion on travel credit cards? I'm thinking either the cash passport or the AUS Post travel VISA. Thanks :)

• 1 May 2014 KateG said

KateG

Hey Kels,
    Im not sure about the spending money as well as I dont know how much things cost in Europe :( but I have a travel card from Commonwealth Bank I have used one before and I didnt have any problems, I also got a load and go card from the post office but it only comes with one card and I think its safe to have two cards just incase. Hope this helps.

• 2 May 2014 kels_0892 said

kels_0892

Hey Kate. I’m so unsure coz i’ve asked a few people that have been over there & some have said that 5000 for 5 weeks would be plenty but then other people have told me that I’d need at least 8000 =/ lol
    I’m with Bank SA & i’m not sure if they have travel cards, i’ll have to find out coz my standard bank card charges $5.95 for any transaction overseas, plus a 3% currency conversion surcharge :( With teh cash passport i think you get 2 cards which would be helpful but they charge a fee when you put more money on the card & when you use it for certain transactions, but the load & go from the post office is all free if i remember correctly so i’m leaning more towards that one but then you only get the one card =/ decisions decisions!!!

• 2 May 2014 KateG said

KateG

Hey
    Yeah it is really hard ;( I’m also going for 5 weeks and I have got 5 grand to spend but I was thinking of only putting 3 grand on my travel card as the exchange rate is so bad and I don’t want to lose so much money exchanging it all.
    The reason why I got the load and go card is because it was free n no charges whereas commonwealth charge $15 for a card and $15 every time you load money. Grrr so annoying. Just go with what you think is best for you :)
    Which tour are you doing?

• 2 May 2014 KateG said

KateG

…… But then I still got a commonwealth card because I know how they work and I feel better knowing I have two cards :)

• 3 May 2014 kels_0892 said

kels_0892

Ugh, don’t even get me thinking about the exchange rate at the moment lol!! I guess i’ll just have to research the cards a bit more and see which one i think will work best for me :)
    I’m doing the European Experience, which is 3 weeks and then ive got an extra 2 weeks over there as well. It’s my first time to Europe as well so i’m pretty excited :D

• 3 May 2014 KateG said

KateG

Oh that’s good are you there by yourself for the two weeks? When do you fly out?

• 3 May 2014 Sarshapincini said

Sarshapincini

Well I only have $5k for almost 8 weeks…. I might have to resort to stealing. My travel agent and most friends have said you can get by on approx $80AUD a day. Some days you’ll spend more, some days less.

• 3 May 2014 KateG said

KateG

Ok thanks :) I went to USA with $5K for 5 weeks and I came home with money but I did use my normal debit card so I’m just going off that but I know Europe is more exspensive.

• 5 May 2014 KiaWest said

KiaWest

I’ve used a cash passport from suncorp ( was also available from the post office) in the states before and had no problems. I wish I’d put more money on it because by the end of the trip I had to use my normal visa debit and the charges were crazy.
    I always like to over plan. If you know where your hotels are you can go on google maps and check out where supermarkets are and even find the names of restaurants so you can look up menus online. I’ve read a lot of contiki blogs and most say travel days can be as cheap a 15 euros for lunch .
    I had a friend go backpacking for 3 months two years ago and they lived on $12000 and another who did a three week contiki and only spent 1000 euros. I think you just have to figure out how much you have per day and make it work.
    I’m planning on taking the equivalent of $150 a day, so $4500 worth of euros for 30 days.

• 5 May 2014 kels_0892 said

kels_0892

Kate, i’ll be staying on my own for 10 days of the 2 weeks but will probz spend the day with friends some of those days coz i’ve got mates in London. Then doing 4 days in paris with a friend :)
    Sarsha you’ve made me a bit more enthusiastic now!! I didn’t realise it could be so cheap
    Kia, yeah i figure it’ll definitely be cheaper on travel days & then i’ll end up spending more in the cities etc. Hopefully i can do like your friend & spend as little as possible while still having a great time coz it’s always a bonus coming home with money too :)

• 27 May 2014 misslee2324 said

misslee2324

i used to work for commonwealth bank and they do a Travel Money card which i think i will use when i go to america, it is great.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion