Community_discussions_small  

Question

Work for Contiki

3 May 2014 Jasmine247 asked

Jasmine247

Hi,

Wanting to hear from anyone who works or has worked for Contiki - I'm applying for the Tour Manager - Europe position for next year and I was wanting to see if there were any tips that you could share to prepare for the interview/s?

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Jas

• 6 May 2014 Taranee Jose said

Default_avatar

In case that you will find a work good luck to your journey and that could be something which you could get experiences from. – Weathershield Reviews

• 8 May 2014 Shane said

Default_avatar

Hi Jas,
    I worked for Contiki a long time ago but he advice still applies. Be yourself and enjoy it. I did a Contiki tour in 1984 and after 5 years managed the Hopfgarten resort in Austria. Unforgettable times.
    Work hard? yes. Play hard? Definitely. Money cannot buy this experience.
    I don’t have one regret about doing it.
    One thing though. Don’t take it for granted, enjoy every moment.

• 23 Feb 2015 Nick said

Nick

Hi Jasmine,

Thought I would throw my two cents in here even though it’s been a while since your post, incase you are still applying or other people have the same question.

I worked for Contiki for 7 years – best job in the world as far as I’m concerned. As with what Shane said, its hard work but plenty of fun as well. Money can’t buy the experience. I’ve actually written a book on how to get a job as a Tour Manager, you can find it at www.thetourguidebook.com

RE specific advice, in brief I would say the most important things to focus on are the following:

APPLYING
    - Correct passport / visa for area you are applying for – this is super important, if you’re working in Europe it’s (almost) a must to have a working visa or EU passport
    - Do a tour – it’s not essential, but if you’ve done a tour with Contiki they’ll be much more confident that you know the culture. If you have done a tour make sure you mention it when you apply. Also ask if your Tour Manager will give you a reference – Contiki weights these very highly.
    - Tertiary education is not as important as you would expect. More important are things that prove you have the ability to speak well, be organised, be professional, lead people and know your history. So if you’ve ever done things like acting classes, a tourism degree or hospitality, make sure to list these things. Also strong are professions that show leadership (like teaching) or hobbies that show a clear benefit to being a Tour Manager (eg history or languages).

INTERVIEW
    - First impressions are really important – dress well.
    - Be confident, well spoken, knowledgeable, fun and outgoing. Basically all things you would want in a tour manager, they will want to see in you.
    - Study up on the company before you go into your interview – know who founded it, what countries they visit, etc. This shows you are keen.
    - Know as much as you can about the history / culture of the country you are applying to be a Tour Manager in. Usually this will be Europe, so study up! You’ll have to know this stuff for your training trip anyway, so why not get a start on it and impress them? You will get asked about how much know.

I could go on and on – if you have specific questions feel free to ask them.

Cheers – Nick
    author of How to be a Tour Guide
    www.thetourguidebook.com

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion