Community_discussions_small  

Question

what is the best way to set up a cell phone

4 May 2014 Eric D. asked

Eric D.

I was just wondering if anybody had some advice as to how to set up a phone that can be used all over Europe for casual/emergency data text and calling ?

• 5 May 2014 Just-in Time said

Just-in Time

Hi Eric,

If you plan on using your current cellphone abroad, the first step is to make sure you can unlock your cellphone for use overseas.

There are 2 ways you can do this:
    1. You can check with your cellphone service provider and see if you are eligible to unlock your phone. They will ask you to provide them with your phone’s IMEI serial number and they will give you instructions and a code to unlock your phone. (This is Free)

Depending on your phone model or how long you’ve had your phone they may not allow you to unlock your phone. This leads to option 2.

2. You can find a cellphone unlocking service on the web and enter your IMEI serial number to get an unlock code and instructions for your phone. (This costs roughly $5-$12 USD)

Once your phone is unlocked, when you get to your destination European airport, they should have vending machines or shops that sell Travel SIM cards that you can use in your phone. Make sure you get the right SIM card size for your phone. (if you are unsure what SIM card your phone uses, you can check online)

Note: before you buy the travel SIM card, I recommend searching online for the largest cellphone service providers in Europe and see where their travel SIM cards cover. An example of a large service provider is Orange.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

• 23 May 2014 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I’m looking to take my cell phone as well – I have an iPhone 4S that my carrier will unlock. I’m on the fence whether to get the eKit travel SIM from Contiki, or just buy a SIM at the airport. The issue is I’m reading a lot where SIM’s from the airport (or from that country) generally only work for the country they’re purchased in. The eKit SIM from Contiki will work mostly throughout Europe but it doesn’t have the best reviews (also www.telestial.com seems to be an affiliate of eKit which is located in Massachusetts).

I’d like to get the $99 1GB data only SIM but it’s a lot of money to put down if it doesn’t work.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.