Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Southern Nov 29th, 2008.

5 Jan 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar
Hey,
Just seeing if anyone is going/thinking of going on the Nov 2008 LA to NYC Grand Southern trip. If anyone has been at that time of the year, what was it like - weather etc?
  • 5 Jan 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar

One more thing. I will be staying in NY until after New Years. Does anyone know of a good, yet cheap hotel in the middle of everything?

• 10 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

hey guys

I’m seriously considering doing the Southern Adventure in November 2008 (The southern adventures departs with the same group doing the Grand Southern – we leave you guys in New Orleans) so i will be with you guys for the first 13 days.

I choose to do the Southern Adventure, because on December 14th, my best of USA tour starts, and i will be covering the east coast anyway

Explorer, i will be in new york for new years. Ive already booked my accomodation (you have to get in quick). I’m staying in a hostel though, i dont know if you’d prefer a hotel instead.

Where abouts are you guys from? Melbourne here.
    Kat x

• 11 Jan 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar

Im from New Zealand, but living in Japan at the moment. Are you traveling by yourself? I am. Bit nervous about it, but i figure there will be heaps of new ppl to meet.

• 11 Jan 2008 amylou said

Default_avatar

hey guys… I am most probably going to be going on the Grand Southern 29 Nov this year … i wanted to go earlier but my uni exam period does not finish until nov 28th..so it may be a tight squeeze but i think i could make it onto the 29th… i think!! anyway… im from melbourne and am 25!

• 14 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hey

Yeah i’m travelling alone – i’ll be 21 in november when the tour starts. This will be my 4th contiki tour. In march i’m doing contiki europe, egypt and great britain/ireland.

And casey – i am unsure of the name of the hostel im staying in (i just emailed my travel agent and asked him to book a nice/good located hostel and he replied saying he had, but didnt give the name). i know that its booked from 26th december for 7 nights and its a total of $400. apparently its a pretty good location in manhattan. I think it actually might have been booked through contiki post tour accomodation.. so maybe give contiki a call. (i can call my travel agent for you when he gets back from leave next week and find out the name).

Are you planning anything before the tour.. I am considering the hawaiian stop over…
    Kat x

• 15 Jan 2008 amylou said

Default_avatar

Hey Casey,

Yep it will be my first ever contiki tour. In 2005 I actually went to the States on my own and did camp america and then travelled a little so cannot wait to go back.

I am definately going to travel after but will probably arrive the day before the tour (due to exams) so wont be doing any travel before hand Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 27 Jan 2008 Explorer1087599 said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing this trip too! It will be our first time to the US. We’re from Perth, Australia.
    Can’t wait!
    =)

• 28 Jan 2008 amylou said

Default_avatar

hey casey

i stayed in North Carolina for the kids camp for about 8 weeks and then flew from there to NYC for a week, caught the train from NYC to Boston, flew from Boston to Las Vegas, then to San Francisco and then back to LA then home…

it was a great time… i cant wait to go back.. the problem is tho there are sooo many places i want to see as well as going back to some of the ones i have been to already… my problem is trying to determine which is cheaper.. contiki or on my own… i guess contiki would be but then i think that it might not be enough time to stop at each stop…

anyway… im thinking now of doing the wild western and maybe the eastern discovery which tours with the grand southern…

how did you guys decide to definately travel with contiki instead of your own time frame?

• 3 Feb 2008 kylie03 said

Default_avatar

I’m booked in for the Nov 01 tour. I plan on spending a ween in LA before the tour then doing the Big Apple Explorer after the tour. anyone else doing the Nov 01 tour?

• 18 Feb 2008 Stellar358 said

Default_avatar

Hello Everyone.

My sister and I are booked on this trip and we can’t wait. This will be our third Contiki trip and our 2nd US Contiki. We did the Wild Western in 2006 and had a ball. We will be heading to the US mid November and will spend extra time in Los Angeles, Anaheim and Las Vegas. We are going to meet you guys in Vegas since the first thing you do on day one is drive there. We found from our experience on the Wild Western that two nights in Vegas was just not enough so we will get there early. We are also going to stay in New York until after New Years. We flew to New York after our Wild Western tour and can’t wait to go back there. When my sister and I did the Wild Western tour, it was a part of our 2006 Around the World holiday in which we did Contiki Europe’s European Highlights tour and spent some time in London and Phuket, Thailand. I would have to say out of that whole trip the highlight for me was the helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon which we will all get the chance to do on this Grand Southern trip. We found on the Wild Western that we had a mixed group of ages and plenty of people travelling solo and a few couples. We all got along great and had heaps of fun. Contiki USA was heaps better than Contiki Europe in my opinion. I am so excited about this trip and being in New York for Christmas and New Year.

• 7 Mar 2008 ClareL said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,
    Today I officially booked onto this tour. I am spending a few days in San Fran, and then a few in LA before the tour starts. And plan on staying until just after New Years, in NY. (must book accom forst though!)
    This will be my 4th contiki…. so they must do something right! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->
    From Australia, but living in London… this is my return trip home Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->.
    Looking forward to meeting you all, I can’t wait! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 16 Apr 2008 Kthom said

Default_avatar

Hey All,

I have just booked the Grand Southern tour departing on the 29th from LA. After the tour I will be doing the Big Apple Explorer before heading to Canada to celebrate NYE. I am so excited for the trip. Its my first time to the US and Canada and my first White Xmas

BTW I am a 24 year old male from Sydney

• 22 May 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys! Just wondering where you guys are staying in New York. Going to be there over christmas, and all the hotels are booked or cost a lot. I can’t wait for the trip Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 May 2008 Kthom said

Default_avatar

Hey Kiwi_gal

I am doing the Big Apple Explorer straight after the Grand Southern.

• 4 Jun 2008 Stellar358 said

Default_avatar

Hi Kiwi_gal

My sister Emily and I are staying in New York until January 2. We are staying at Radio City Apartments but I also have a booking I need to cancel with Big Apple Hostel. We were going to stay at the Hostel which looks quite good is cheap and has pretty good reviews. Have a look at www.bigapplehostel.com You can email me at stellar358@yahoo.com.au if you like. I hope we get to see a White Christmas while we are all in New York but apparently they don’t get one every year. The last one was in 2002 I think. Oh well, fingers crossed….

Meagan

• 16 Jun 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kthom:
    Hey Kiwi_gal

I am doing the Big Apple Explorer straight after the Grand Southern.

Hey!!
    I’m doing the Big Apple Explorer too. Yay, can’t wait.

• 15 Jul 2008 katherine said

Default_avatar

hey everyone,
    Im Katherine and im 22 from melbourne. I am going on this tour as well. i cant wait. I am also traveling alone which is a bit scary. After this tour i am staying at the marrakech hotel (contiki) for christmas. Is anyone in new york for christmas. I have no idea what to do and would like to spend it with other people. Well after this tour i am doing new york new year. Then im off to chicago and then hawaii.
    I am also doing the la scene before this trip as well as spending some time in SF. Cant wait to meet you guys
    Love to talk to anyone
    Katherine

• 2 Sep 2008 Kirsty said

Default_avatar

Hi Katherine,
    I’m 26 from Wollongong and am looking at booking into this tour and also the New York New Year. Have you made any plans for Christmas? Would be great to hear from you.
    Kirsty

• 8 Sep 2008 katherine said

Default_avatar

hi kirsty
    i have no idea what im doing for christmas. i dont know what to do. do you??? i am staying at the marrakeck hotel (its cheaper coz of contiki) than i am staying at manhattan inn till the new york new year. i cant wait. but im a bit nervous coz this is my first christmas away from home

• 3 Oct 2008 Kiwi_gal said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys! Hows everyone going? I’m really excited about the trip!! Looking forward to meeting you all. See you in just under 2 months!! Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.