Community_discussions_small  

Comment

England & Scotland-September 2011

31 Aug 2010 BananaCoconut said

Default_avatar
I am planning on taking the England/Scotland 11 day tour mid-September next year? I am 26 years old and will be traveling by myself. I am from a small town in the US, and a little anxious about arriving in the huge city of London. But I have wanted to do this trip for 3 years! I guess, I am asking for any travel tips as to not appear naive to the "big city folk" lol. And what is the best way to get from Heathrow to the Contiki meeting sight? I've heard the tube is the best...but I've actually been considering a bus. I realize a bus would take longer, but I don't think I would mind, as I could take in some sights of the city on the way.
Also, has anyone been on this trip? Was it worth the money? What are the best options for a hotel the first night?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!
  • 1 Sep 2010 AussieEmma said

AussieEmma

I have the same feelings, similar to you. I plan on doing the Great Britain and Ireland tour mid September 2011. There are some shuttle bus services from each airport, one I’ve found is hotelbybus.com, but your cheapest option would probably be the tube.

Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Emma

• 1 Sep 2010 BananaCoconut said

Default_avatar

I’ve realized the tube is the easiest way to go. It might be a little scary, but I’ve navigated the streets of Chicago, IL by myself a couple of times…and I’m good with directions so hopefully I’ll be fine!

• 1 Sep 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’m going to say the tube would be less scary for a couple reasons.
    The entrance is in Heathrow and there is only 1 train there so you can’t screw up on that end. Then you just have to pay attention to make sure you get off at the Russell Square stop. Some of the shuttle services are set up that you have to transfer, that seems scarier to me. But if you want to do the above ground thing to see the sights, that’s different.

As for the hotel, if you’re coming from the US the hotel the night before is included in the price of the hotel. If you’re adding on a day or two then it’s probably easiest to just stay a the the same hotel contiki uses, the Imperial. Take a look around on the board, there a couple threads about getting to the hotel using various different methods.

As for not looking like a tourist. Plan your route before going out so you aren’t pulling out a map and looking around.

• 1 Sep 2010 katiekat said

Default_avatar

I agree with everyone else, it’s really easy to get to Russell Square from Heathrow by tube – you don’t have to switch trains or anything… and it’s way cheaper!

I did this trip back in May and it was FANTASTIC! For what you pay, I think it was a good value. The hotels were actually pretty nice, the food was pretty good, and it was just lots of fun. The optional activities were really good too, so make sure you budget for some of them!

I stayed in the Imperial hotel the first night and it was fine. It’s not a particularly nice hotel but it’s alright and really close to the meeting spot. You’ll be so jet-lagged you’ll just crash and not notice much about the hotel anyway. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion