Community_discussions_small  

Comment

silly question . . .

15 Apr 2009 princess_km said

princess_km
Hey guys i was just wondering, although it might sound a tad stupid to some.... i am going on a 24 day winter wandarer tour and i am a tad concerned about not being able to exercise...

is there any gyms wile on tour? do you tend to put on much weight due to drinking and eating different foods...

i see alot of people say you do ALOT of walking, but would this be near as equal as going to the gym ?? i love my exercise and dont want to go without it Frowner
  • 15 Apr 2009 Jazzistbl said

Default_avatar

ummmm…..are you CRAZY? i think you have lost your mind princess km…..you’ll be in EUROPE why would you wanna excercise….hahahha but as we have had this discussion before darl i think you will be fine (just dont eat while your on tour hahahah lol).

My trainer is putting together a circuit for me so you can join in if you wanna…we will star jump until we drop kiesh

• 15 Apr 2009 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I understand your concerns about missing work outs. I don’t know what you do for a living but I sit at a desk 8 hours a day, and in traffic another 2. Having full days of running around the cities of Europe will be a big contrast from that, so I think that’ll help make up for not working out. On my tour, we’d get to a new city in the afternoon and have a few hours at the hotel before our next scheduled activity. Some people used that to rest or get ready for the night. A guy on my tour sometimes would go out for a run. I think you could use your free time to get some exercise in if you really wanted to. I doubt you’ll have time to go to a gym. I personally lost weight on my tour, not sure why. I think the food in Europe is healthier than America. These are all my thoughts, I’m sure it depends on the person and the tour. Good luck and have a great time! Try not to worry about missing your gym days cause it will be there when you get back!

• 15 Apr 2009 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

You don’t need to worry about putting on weight, you will not be eating all that much during the trip. Even if you did eat tons, the calories you burn walking around cities sometimes for 12+ hours a day, more then burns up what you take in. If you are an exercise freak, the best you’ll probably be able to do is a run in the morning. I didn’t see any gyms while on tour last year. Plus your time in Europe is very limited even on a 24 day tour, so why on earth would you wanna waste a couple hours a day in the gym, just make up for it when you get back home.

• 16 Apr 2009 LorneB said

LorneB

You will lose weight on these tours just from the walking. I usually lose about 10lbs. I eat alot while on tour as well.

• 17 Apr 2009 princess_km said

princess_km

being in europe is a a lifetime experience and i dont wanto waste my time in the gym but i also dont wanto come back kilos heavier.. i guess with all the walking it will be fine, and maybe i should stop stressing over it!

• 17 Apr 2009 ChestyLaRue said

ChestyLaRue

I am leaving for Europe in a week and I know that I will be doing lots of walking so I am not worried about aerobic exercise but I do want to try to keep up toning my muscles. Luckily, my gym has locations all over Europe and they gave me a travel pass. I won’t be working out every day or anything but at least I can keep up with trying to tone the muscles that aren’t toned by walking.

• 17 Apr 2009 Browren said

Default_avatar

If you’re desperate to try to keep up with your muscle tone, you can also talk to your gym about coming up with a routine that can be done in your hotel room. There are lots of muscle toning exercises that just use your body as resistance and you don’t have to go anywhere out of the way to try to find a gym. It is also suggested to strech out your muscles, especially your legs and glutes, every morning before you leave the hotel to go and explore and night before you go to bed to avoid muscle cramps. There are also stretches that you can do on the bus or airplane to keep yourself limber and relaxed. You can find fitness anywhere you go, you don’t just need a gym.

• 18 Apr 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I once heard one of our hotels had a pool. You might find a random hotel that has a gym, but mostly they will not. Also, you wont find that you really have the time to go to the gym. Your best bet if you really want to work out is to either go walking or running, rarely do people do this, but it’s not unheard of on tour. If your interested in weights then try to bring some resistance bands, that could be squeezed in during random free time.

• 18 Apr 2009 LorneB said

LorneB
    quote:
    Originally posted by Browren:
    If you’re desperate to try to keep up with your muscle tone, you can also talk to your gym about coming up with a routine that can be done in your hotel room. There are lots of muscle toning exercises that just use your body as resistance and you don’t have to go anywhere out of the way to try to find a gym. It is also suggested to strech out your muscles, especially your legs and glutes, every morning before you leave the hotel to go and explore and night before you go to bed to avoid muscle cramps. There are also stretches that you can do on the bus or airplane to keep yourself limber and relaxed. You can find fitness anywhere you go, you don’t just need a gym.

Great idea.

• 20 Apr 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

hey guys I was concerned about the same thing as Princess. I do 6 fitness classes a week and i know i would go stir crazy if i didnt do anything while on tour.

However, im guessing with the amount of walking mentioned it would tire you out anyway and it would be good cardio.

Other than that i doubt there would be time for a gym so i would recommend doing exercises in ur room for half an hour a day or every second day (what ever suits you) such as push ups, sit ups and squats. Trust me if u do em right and keep ur muscles engaged between one exercise and the other, you will be in pain by the end of it. The benefit of the above exercises mentioned is that u can make them as intense as you want.

If you feel like a light workout just do 3 sets of whatever ur doing and if u want a harder workout then just improvise….e.g. use the bed when doing puch ups and have ur legs on the bed or chair and hands on the ground, that will be a pretty good core exercise.

Or if doing squats hold something heavy from ur room and that can count as weights.

Hope this helps : )

• 1 May 2009 Explorer1132663 said

Default_avatar

believe me walking is completely enough
    if you need more make self fittness exersise
    but you donnot need agym
    good luck

• 4 Jun 2009 Kayla said

Kayla

the best thing i do while traveling to work out is bring along resistance bands they weigh nothing and take up zero space, can be used for muscle toning, cardio and anything really… using this in your room will be a great help… there is a ton of walking involved on tour but what most people dont know…. walking doesnt really burn a ton of calories..

and if youre anything like me when you sit around on a bus all ay getting bored youll want to snack on things.. so i think your own added exercise is definitely necessary…
    this is coming from a fitness professional so i might be a little biased Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jun 2009 AaronfromOz said

AaronfromOz

don’t worry about it princess.
    i went on this tour at the start of the year and trust me working out is the last thing on your mind.
    while there were no gyms around you get plenty of walking done. add the freezing cold and you burn off quite a lot.
    i ate plenty of junk and yet i actually lost weight.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.