Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Packing & Other Adice!!

7 Oct 2009 krtvmnd said

Default_avatar
I am doing the European Tour for 11 days at the end of the month and I have a few questions....
* Is it better to bring two smaller bags or one big one?
* I am going to have my camera bag and I was thinking of bringing a wristlet instead of a purse - good or bad idea?
* I heard it is better to charge rather than carry a bunch of cash. But since I will need cash, where is the best place to get it?
* What type of clothes should I bring? I don't want to pack a lot but I want to make sure I have enough to wear. How many pairs of jeans or nicer clothes?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome! This is my first trip overseas and I really have no idea what I am doing!!!

THANKS!! Smiler
  • 8 Oct 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Many of these questions are answered in great length if you do a search of the board. My short answers:

You can only bring one piece of luggage.
    I wouldn’t feel comfortable with just a wristlet on my wrist while on vacation if it was containing important stuff – credit card, atm card, passport and all my cash.

Charging vs cash is a personal decision. you will need cash, you could get some from a bank or money exchange place before you go or when you arrive, the best rates are typically through using ATM’s.

Clothing is personal, but pack light and pack for the weather. Jeans, long sleeve shirts, comfortable shoes, and 2 going out outfits.

• 17 Oct 2009 oooteresa said

Default_avatar

My one recommendation for packing clothes would be if you plan to wear jeans most of the time…pack quite a few pairs. I did Euro Discovery last year and there were very few chances to do laundry along the way. Washing shirts and underwear and that type of thing in the sink is okay but jeans will not be comfortable when air-dried. In every day life I wear jeans a few times before washing them but on the tour you’ll be wearing them alllll day, on the bus, walking around the cities, out to the bars…they will get worn and stretched so quickly. Just my opinion… Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Have fun!

• 24 Oct 2009 dOCON said

Default_avatar

~Definitely one bag. You’re going to be carrying it around and two bags will be a huge hassle… by the end of the trip, you’ve picked up so many other random things (wine/sleeping bags/shopping bags) that you won’t be able to carry that + 2 other bags! I took a duffel bag on wheels (so I could roll it, or carry it, or wear it like a backpack) and it worked perfectly for me!!!!!

~I also suggest organizing your clothes-all your tshirts in one shopping bag, all underwear in another, all toiletries in other….will definitely help you stay organized because by the end of the trip, you’re just chucking everything in the bag and just hoping it will all fit!!

~I took a small wristlet (for nights that you go out-makeup, camera, money) AND a backpack (for the bus, long day trips).

~There are tons of ATMs everywhere around Europe-you’re going to super touristy places and they want you to spend your money… the will definitely have ATMs. I just got cash in ever other city, or when I could, and hid it in my bag-in a pair of jean pockets or something. However, thinking back, I also charged most things because it was easier to keep track of and 90% of places will take cards

~I think that the weather will justttt be getting cold. I would bring no more than 2 pairs of jeans(one going out pait/one everyday pair), a few sweaters, a jacket, some t shirts, maybe a dress or two, and some scarfs… LAYER LAYER LAYER!!!! definitely also bring some going out clothes!!

~Also, make sure you bring cough/cold medicine, you WILL get contiki cough

~think about bringing some cards for drinking games before you all go out

~i brought clothespins with me (but i went for a month) so i was able to wash some clothes and let tehm drip dry overnight

~bring lots of comfy clothes!!!!!!!!!! the bus rides can be super long and you will most likely be hungover, so it’s always nice to lounge in sweats for those 6-8 hour rides

~ipod!!!!! it’s always fun to listen to your own contiki playlist in the bus. because for the rest of your life, you’ll associate the songs with the trip. i promise you, you’ll love it!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion