Community_discussions_small  

Question

Living Abroad in London!

11 Jul 2014 Jessica asked

Jessica

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at doing a Contiki tour in July / August 2015 and then plan to stay on and work/live in London for up to two years. Is anyone else on here doing this? I've been looking up a lot of travel blogs and forums but I'm still super nervous about going it alone. I want to be as prepared as possible.

If anyone has or is currently doing this do you have any hints, tips or suggestions? Are there things I must sort out before I go or can I do everything once I land?

• 11 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

Hi Jessica, I actually plan on doing the same exact thing getting my working holiday visa and living in London. I have already started to do some research it’s quite a lot but I’m super stoked. Are you finding it quite overwhelming as well?

• 11 Jul 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

It is definitely overwhelming. I’m still undecided if I want to travel solo and maybe just do some indepth tours in certain countries or just do a 20 odd day tour. I’ve read and been told so many different opinions I’m just in over my head!

Have you looked into any specific tours?

• 11 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

I’m thinking of doing either European Experience, Trail to Rome, or European Trail because I want to visit the countries but not in depth. I want to take more of my time and spend it Spain, France and Italy after the tours before settling in London. So I much rather not do a tour dealing specifically with these countries, although they do touch in them a little bit.

• 12 Jul 2014 Shelby said

Shelby

Chrissy, I’m thinking of doing the exact same ; just touching on some countries before settling and working. Have use decided when use want to go? Or what jobs use would be interested in? I’m looking at doing au pairing. Pub work would be good too though. I am finding it very overwhelming with so many decisions to make and doing it alone!

• 12 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

I have decided to go around April or May depends on the tour dates. I am not sure what type of job I want but, I have heard a lot of people have had success through recruitment agencies so I will end up doing that most likely. It is definitely overwhelming planing a huge trip solo, and many decisions to be made. I have heard many people say they start the trip solo, but they meet so many along the way and travel with them so that’s what I’m hoping for:)

• 12 Jul 2014 Shelby said

Shelby

Yes deffinately a lot of the agencies are over charged and sm to be more of a hassle than anything ( friends experience ) and apparantly it’s easy for Aussies to get jobs over there.
    Yes ! That is what banking on also

• 12 Jul 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

I was also looking at doing the European Experience and then heading off to Greece and Spain to see more before heading back to London to get a job. Also if my budget permits I might also see some of Ireland.

• 12 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

Yeah that sounds exactly what I plan on doing. I’m going to Ireland before I do my tour though. Do you ladies know when you plan on going?

• 12 Jul 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

I’m planning July/August. Whilst in Spain I want go to the La Tomatina festival and if I feel like it I may go to Germany for Oktoberfest. Hopefully I win the lotto in between now and then so I can do everything :D

• 13 Jul 2014 Shelby said

Shelby

I really wanted to go over more April/may and then maybe do a bit of my own travelling before starting work. While I’m over there if I have work off it might be I good idea to go to Oktoberfest and running of the bulls and that la tomatina festival. So much I want to do. Saving my butt off.

• 13 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

It’s is really expensive and the exchange rate is brutal. Do you have any idea where you plan to stay in London long term?

• 13 Jul 2014 Shelby said

Shelby

I know I was hoping the exchange rate changed a bit in my favour by then !
    I would plan on doing au pairing

• 15 Jul 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

Hey ladies, when it comes to doing some independent travel of countries what transport are you planning on using? I’m currently looking into rail passes but other people have told me about busabout. However I don’t know if I could sit on a bus for that long. I’m looking at going to Spain, Italy and Greece.

• 15 Jul 2014 Shelby said

Shelby

Ahhh I’m with you on this I literally was just looking into busabout it looks amazing for independent travel and meeting people doing the same thing!

• 15 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

I’m not familiar with busabout so I will have to check that out. I was looking into a EuroRail Flexi Pass, but now I will check into the busabout too. I think the Eurail would be good for going in between countries and maybe another transportation from city to city.

Shelby

Yeah that’s basically what busabout is!

• 15 Jul 2014 chrissy1012 said

chrissy1012

Yeah I just checked it out and will definitely be doing that for a portion of my trip.

• 15 Jul 2014 Jessica said

Jessica

The busabout network is awesome. I’m almost contemplating not doing a tour at all and just use there service.

Shelby

I know jessica, I found out about it yesterday and was contemplating it. Still just worried about going off on my own but! Like the flexipass looks cool because if you wanted to spend more time in a destination you can.And then you can do festivals on it too.

Shelby

When were you looking at going again?:) the busabout season is May-October
    Would be cool to travel the hole season with some tours and festivals amongst it

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion