Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


Canadian Hair Straighteners

15 Jun 2008 KimmerCanada said

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>There's been a lot of discussion on the boards about hair straighteners and hair blowers, so I thought I'd start a new post for those of us from Canada planning on bringing them.<BR><BR>Can someone provide the final word? Buy a new one? Wait until you get there and get one? Are there any you can buy in Canada that work really well, and that you would recommend to bring that are 'dual voltage'? If so, where did you get them and what are they called? <BR><BR>Any tips would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Kim
  • Read the responses 7 responses so far
  • 15 Jun 2008 EM. said


    though expensive GHD straighteners will work all around the world.

  • 16 Jun 2008 GC said


    hey. i just finished up a european contrasts tour(awesome time!) i brought my hair straightener that i bought at walmart. it was only twenty dollars(its name is durabrand) and i just used a convertor to use it. other people didnt use a wattage convertor and ended up blowing theres the first time they plugged it in. if you are worried about bringing an expensive one you can always go to walmart and look for that one. it works better than a lot of the ones my friends have bought at hair salons. otherwise, just get a convertor and save yourself the trouble of buying one in europe and then having no use for it when you get home.

  • 16 Jun 2008 Lauren said


    Is it okay to use a convertor on a straightener that seems to be universal? I think mine has the label 100v-200andwhatever vs (I’ve smudged it off through the years that I’ve used it, so I can’t be sure) and I was going to use a convertor just to be safe. Now I’m concerned that that will somehow damage it too. Fortunately for me, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m probably going to decimate my straightener no matter what precautions I try to take.


  • 17 Jun 2008 Explorer1102984 said


    I’m from South Africa. I’ve also been worrying about my hairstraightner!I have a GHD and I’ve bought plugs from the travel shop. I really don’t want my GHD to blow up!! Do you think it will be ok?

  • 17 Jun 2008 Explorer1095647 said


    The GHD MK4 straighteners don’t need a voltage converter, they are universal and just require a power-point adapter to convert the shape of your plug to fit the shape of the country you are visiting plug.

  • 18 Jun 2008 JessiB said


    I’m from Canada and I’ve used straighteners overseas before… just make sure you have a current converter and it should be fine… apparently any device with a heating component in it has a tendency to steam a little.

    I remember when i was young i had a crappy conair one that you filled with water and it didn’t bust when i took it overseas (i was there 1.5 months).

    I have a Red Lion now and if the conair one could survive i’m sure the Red Lion (a way better product if you know straighteners) can hack it.

    Sum it up – take a converter… you’ll be fine… don’t spend money on ones overseas they’re expensive and wouldn’t you rather buy something else?

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.