Community_discussions_small  

Question

What type of luggage is best? Suit case, duffle?? Wheels??

18 Oct 2010 Megz asked

Default_avatar
Hi

Just wondered sort of experiences others had had with their luggage and which sort you would reccomend for a 15 Day trip.
I'm considering a rolling duffle that opens like a suitcase on the bottom for bulky gear and has compartments on top for the rest. I think the divider between top and bottom can be removed to make one big storage area if needed.
What do you all think?
  • 18 Oct 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

Suitcase or a duffle with a roller will be fine in NZ. I used my rolling suitcase. Which was fine. Since most of the hotels have elevators. Unless you plan on backpacking through NZ.

• 18 Oct 2010 liselise said

liselise

Hi =) I also used a rolling suitcase and generally didn’t have any problems however at one place we stayed (I think it was Queenstown), to get to the rooms you had to go down a few flights of stairs as there were no elevators. That was fine but trying to get back up to the lobby for the really early start, especially when you sleep through the alarm can be a bit hard!

• 19 Oct 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

As mentioned, as long as you are not doing any independant backpacking, then most participants used traditional softshell roller suitcases.

- Vic

• 1 Nov 2010 Troy said

Troy

is a Black wolf 90 litre cuba fine to take as i already have one, it said something about no metal frame back packs and my back pack has metal back supports so is this suitable or not?

• 1 Nov 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Bring your Black Wolf … that’ll be fine.
    Contiki does not allow external metal frame backpacks that can poke/prod/puncture other suitcases such as the following:

- Vic

• 6 Nov 2010 Explorer1181881 said

Default_avatar

I have a 26×11×11 duffle- would that be ok? I’m a little confused because the literature says 29×20×9- so it isn’t exact match dimension wise. Is this ok?

• 6 Nov 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Bring yer duffle – it’ll prob get stuffed atop of the traditional luggage below the coach, kinda like filler.

Note to all: Contiki never measures luggage on any trip. As long as it looks like regular luggage of sorts, bring it. And as for weight, this is only measured on day one only for tours departing from London, UK. No other departure point weighs luggage.

- Vic

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.