Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Bed Bugs

4 Jul 2008 Explorer1093854 said

Default_avatar
I am doing the Road to Athens tour from the 23rd of August to the 6th of September - a superior tour. I am just worried about bed bugs after reading another thread on this topic! Does anyone know of any way to avoid getting bitten and luggage infested? Is there a spray or something I can buy?
  • 4 Jul 2008 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

Silk Sleeping bag liners can help I’ve heard.

• 4 Jul 2008 Katherine said

Katherine

oh! also—if you’re up for it—back in the States people are advised to simply examine the bed mattress a bit (including underneath). Obviously, keep an eye open for bugs, or brown spots. If they exist…I would simply advise not sleeping on that mattress? I guess you could talk to the tour moderator if this situation does arise…I’m just gonna hope it doesn’t?

Good for you for thinking ahead, though.
    PROPS!!!

• 4 Jul 2008 Explorer1093854 said

Default_avatar

I will certainly be examining the sheets and mattresses! I was just hoping someone had heard of a spray/bug killer/anything that I can take as a preventative measure. I did hear the thing about the silk sleeping bag liners, but I won’t be using a sleeping bag on a superior tour.

• 7 Jul 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

unfortunately there is no simple solution if there are bed bugs, hence they’re still around. If you do find bed bugs tell your TM immediately, the hotel should give you a new room.

• 2 Aug 2008 FSLS said

Default_avatar

YOU CANT SEE BED BUGS! thats the scary part.
    several people on my tour got them, I did not.
    To avoid bed bugs I recommend
    - silk liner for sleeping bag
    - never ever ever ever put your suitcase on the bed
    -shower often
    - do not share anything with anyone who has be bug bites (thats how they spread on my tour—- shared sleeping bag)
    - shower as often as possilbe

if you get them WASH EVERYTHING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, throw away your suitcase and buy a new one, take some anithistamines and get tome anti-itch creme. DRENCH yourself in it and try to enjoy the rest of your trip

• 9 Aug 2008 Carli said

Default_avatar

you can see bed bugs!! see this site
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/index_files/BedBugMythsBusted.htm

Travel tips from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug#Travel_tips
    Since most bedbugs are carried by travellers through contact with beds and hotel rooms of infected locations, following are some tips for those travelling to hotels that might be at risk.

First look at the room to seek potential hiding places for bedbugs, such as carpet edges, mattress seams, pillow case linings, bedboards, wall trim or other tiny crack-like places bedbugs might hide.
    Next, look specifically at the mattress seams for signs of bedbug activity: droppings, eggs, bloodstains or even bedbugs themselves, hiding in tiny folds and seam lines.
    As mentioned, keep a flashlight nearby when sleeping, to immediately observe activity during the night without having to get up out of bed, thus giving bedbugs time to hide in safety.
    Never leave your clothing laying on the bed, or any location of possible infestation (as mentioned above). Instead, use hangers or hooks capable of keeping all cloth distant from the floor or bed.
    Close your suitcase, travel bag, when you’re not using it. This way, during the night the bugs may move over top of your luggage with greater difficulty to get inside.
    Elevate your luggage off the floor to tables or chairs. These may also be hiding places, but less likely.
    Keep any bedbug you find (intact if possible) to show the hotel owner.
    If you have a bad feeling about a location, trust your instinct. Look carefully for possible activity, or change locations.

if bitten taking some anithistamines like phenergan will help (these make you drowsy so take at night) and use some bite cream.
    one couple on my tour got them from the Paris campsite but no one else on tour had any problems

• 11 Aug 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

hi guys,

another stupid question here, i have heard that silk liners for sleeping bags help to keep bed bugs out of them, but we’re would you buy a silk liner??

thanks

• 11 Aug 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hi Katie

Camping stores have them. Where are you from? In Australia (Adelaide specifically), Kathmandu, Scout Outdoor Centre, and places like that.

• 16 Aug 2008 Explorer1110162 said

Default_avatar

Hey Guys,

I got back from Europe not long ago, and i did get bed bugs while away…..They are no where near as bad as you think they are going to be and i have to say i had many more important things to worry about like seeing the sights and having a great time Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> It’s just the itching that is a little annoying, but i think mainly just the thought of it is gross….but you don’t even really notice them at all..

• 17 Aug 2008 Explorer1110213 said

Default_avatar

bed bugs are a little more than itchy pests. My friend went to Mexico with her family and got bed bugs. One had crawled into the ear and she had to go to the doctor to get it removed.They had brought them home without knowing it. Twice the pest control people came and they couldn’t get rid of them till they threw out their mattresses and other furniture. Just check your bed and everything around carefully before you bring your suitcase in the room.

• 19 Aug 2008 <3Ali<3 said

<3Ali<3

EWW! This is totally grossing me out lol. How common are these bed bugs???

• 19 Aug 2008 IslandBreeze said

IslandBreeze

When I saw this threat I could not help but respond. I went on European Escapade in 2006 and about 5 of the girls on my tour including myself got bite real bad by bed bugs at the Venice campsite (which really made me loathe Venice besides the rude Italians I encountered there). We all slept in our sleeping bags but after that was very wary. It didnt happen in any other campsite just there.

So be really careful sleeping in at the Venice campsite because its hella gross.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.