Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Question for people who have done the trip.....

19 Aug 2007 Mark said

Default_avatar
s
  • 22 Aug 2007 katiewind said

Default_avatar

Hi guys. I actually did a birthright trip in Israel right before doing this tour last month. I literally flew from Israel to Egypt and then back to Israel after the tour was over. I can say that I never felt afraid while I was in Egypt. I baited the locals a little bit to see how they would respond to comments about Israel, and I never heard anything that made me uncomfortable.
    At the beginning of our tour, girls were recommended to invent a “husband” or adopt a guy from the group to keep harassment from the local men to a minimum. Occasionally, I’d invent an Israeli husband, and even that didn’t get a negative response.
    Ed is right, all the locals want is your money. A merchant in Cairo actually called out to me, “You don’t have to worry. I’m already married, I only want your money.” Too bad for him, I didn’t have any left.
    I had no problems in Egypt and it was an incredible experience. Good luck!

• 5 Sep 2007 superjess said

Default_avatar

Hi- I just booked my tour to Egypt- kinda last minute. All the websites I check indicate that its okay to get the tourist visa upon arriving in cairo, however the person who booked my tour got me a little paranoid about not having it. Anybody have/notice any difficulty with obtaining the visa there?
    Thank you.

• 5 Sep 2007 superjess said

Default_avatar

Okay, great- thank you!

• 6 Sep 2007 Gryphon said

Default_avatar

The visa is probably more to generate revenue from tourist arrivals than to really make discerning checks on who’s arriving into the country. Didn’t encounter any bad experiences on the trip with the locals. Although if you don’t like the hassling, buy souvenirs directly from the cruise ship on the tour. We realized they sold items at almost the prices you would get after bargaining in the streets, sometimes even for less than the streets if you suck at bargaining.

• 24 Sep 2007 te6020 said

Default_avatar

I’m going in a month, and I’m going to get my Visa this week. Do you guys know anything about the dress code for females. Also do you feel that its dangerous or you feel safe with your tour guide.
    Teresa
    NY-31yrs old.

• 28 Sep 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

The biggest problem I had on tour was Ed picking on NYC.

As for clothing, I would recommend bring some pants or capris pants. At the tourist sites you could probably get away with shorts, but when walking around any cities (particularly Cairo and the markets there) you’ll need longer pants and to be dressed more covered (stay away from tank tops). But overall I felt safe, though I rarely went off on my own.

• 1 Jan 2008 Mando said

Mando

Hi,

I would like to know what is the best option for money while in Egypt, Should I exchange some money before arriving? do most places accept Visa, Mastercard? or should use ATM after arriving?

• 2 Jan 2008 Mando said

Mando

Thanks for the advice Ed G will do when leaving on the 21-29 March Tour Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 3 Jan 2008 Mando said

Mando

Will do Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 5 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

You can use credit cards in some regular stores, but not in any of the markets. I think some of the places will charge a fee for using credit cards too, so plan to use mostly cash if you can.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion