Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money for Grand Southern!!

8 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 asked

Aleisha91

I'm freaking out about spending money and really just need some reassurance! I have been to Miami for a week before but have no idea on how much money will be enough for this tour/holiday. I do drink, most likely every second day on contiki haha, i hear the drinks are a lot cheaper though (espeically when they free pour). Won't be doing much shopping and there is about $1000 for the optionals, all that being said i was thinking of taking $4000AUD for 37 days whilst i'm away.
What are everyones thoughts? Would this be enough?
Thanks in advance :D

• 11 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

I can’t see anyone’s posts?

• 12 Aug 2014 Shan290 said

Shan290

I can’t see the other post but I would recommend at least having 150 per day just for general stuff food, snacks and drinks from experience . Then If you want to go shopping take some extra cash.

• 12 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Haha so weird that I can see your post? So for 37 days u think about $5,500? I’m just worried I won’t be able to save that much haha have u been on the grand southern tour? Yeah I hopefully won’t spend a lot on shopping but I guess u never know, and u don’t want to leave yourself short? Haha thanks

• 12 Aug 2014 Shan290 said

Shan290

I havent been on the grand southern yet im going in February im excited. But from previous trips thats what I go by I make sure I have 150 a day I might not spend 150 a day sometimes it was less but its awesome at the end of your trip if you come home with money or if your like me and spend it all on shopping at the end lol

• 13 Aug 2014 Kylee said

Kylee

I spent about $8000 on this trip but I am a bit of a spender. It depends on how much drinking you are going to do and how much you buy.

• 13 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Ohhh wow!!! Haha I am good with spending, not a big shopper and I’m a lightweight so alcohol shouldn’t be a problem either haha
    I hear in the bars and clubs they free pour? Or is that only if u tip? Is food there reasonably priced as well? Haha thanks :)

• 13 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Also what was your favourite optional? What can’t I miss? Haha thanks :)

• 15 Aug 2014 Lauren said

Lauren

Im taking 15k all up for grand southern next year, but i have a week in NY and a week with family in PA after.

• 15 Aug 2014 Kylee said

Kylee

The helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon was amazing. I did everything and wasn’t disappointed. I would recommend them all.

• 15 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Awesome!!! Can’t wait thanks heaps! I have heard the helicopter ride was worth the money haha will defs be doing that one

• 22 Aug 2014 rachyroooo said

rachyroooo

I’ve done the tour a couple months ago, it was amazing you’ll have a great time!
    in terms of money I took £1000 on one of those travel card things which converted to about $1650. I also had $500 in cash. I ended up transferring about an extra $200 over but other than that the money lasted me the whole time. I only did the tour and two days either side so obviously if you’re staying longer you’ll need more. I personally didn’t find money too much of a problem as lots of things are included with contiki. as long as you keep track of all the optional extras you’ve done and leave money aside for that at the end you should be sweet. things are relatively cheap there (although tax and tips makes it more than you think it will be) and I only ended up paying for one meal a day usually and if you’re running a bit low you can just get fast food for less than $5. nights out are pretty cheap too as the tour guide usually gets you deals so it’s just souvenirs and sightseeing really. it all depends on the individual, some people on my tour brought four times as much cash as me and spent it in half the time. so if you’re a big spender, deffo bring more!
    in terms of favourite optionals, the helicopter ride was great but made me vomit so I couldn’t really enjoy myself… so steer clear if you have a weak stomach! Miami party cruise is not to be missed, universal studios was great even though I had been four times before, swamp boats in New Orleans and river rafting in Durango were all great!

• 25 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Thanks for your answer there rach, im going in Oct and not sure i will get to do the rafting and the swap tour as i know this is seasonal? :/
    I already have $2850USD so im hoping this will cover it, i have set aside $1000 for optionals so that leaves me with $1850USD for just spending money (alcohol and food basically) i should be ok then haha
    Can’t believe you only took $2000!! haha good one ya for being able to get through 4 weeks with that, makes me feel wayy better about only having $2850!
    How insane was vegas? im so pumped for vegas haha
    Taxes and tips are annoying how theyre added on at the end :( Will have to work with that i guess haha
    Thanks so much for you response :)

• 25 Aug 2014 rachyroooo said

rachyroooo

you should be fine with that much money! I did most optionals and my total was $612, most people were about 600-800 in total so you should have some left over from your $1000 unless you do absolutely everything! the most expensive ones are universal studios, helicopter and hot air balloon

• 26 Aug 2014 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

aw thats a relief haha thanks! i doubt i will do everything, did u end up seeing cirque du solei in vegas? thinking of skipping that one, defs will have to do disneyworld, helicopter and the hot air balloon ones tho :)

• 26 Aug 2014 rachyroooo said

rachyroooo

nooo I didn’t do cirque du soleil, trying to think of all the ones I didn’t do, ummm horse riding hot air balloon (although I wish I had done that one now), Grand Canyon biking, miami speed boat, New Orleans cooking, Dallas cowboy’s stadium, the studios in Memphis, the museum in Washington and the New York City pass.

Aleisha91

Yeah I didn’t think the cirque du solei would be all that good, did u just go out instead? I mean u only get 2 nights in Vegas and I’m not spending it watching a circus act haha did u do the limo ride the first night in Vegas? That one sounds like fun :)
    I defs want to do the hot air ballooning, and depending on weather I would like to do the speed boat as well :)

• 26 Aug 2014 rachyroooo said

rachyroooo

yeah we just pre drank and then we met the cirque du soleil people after and all did the limo ride. it’s included and you get champagne it lasts over an hour so deffo do the limo!

Aleisha91

Aww cool!! Yes will defs be doing that haha

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion