Community_discussions_small  

Comment

SPENDING MONEY

24 Jun 2008 Laura Morris said

Laura Morris
How much money (in pounds)
are you all taking??

and how much would 6,000 pound last over there???
  • 24 Jun 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Hi Laura,
    Are you just staying in the UK or doing a Europe tour?
    Katie

• 24 Jun 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Oh, I just saw your signature – obviously Europe. I’ve been told that 100 Euros/day is a no stress budget but check out this linklink for more info

• 24 Jun 2008 Laura Morris said

Laura Morris

thanks well my plan is to arrive north UK.
    arrive in newcastle airport.. tube it up to glasgow.. then slowly work my way down going to places liek liverpool manchester etc…
    find a nice area to live in..
    and then after a couple of months do a contikit tour to do places like greece.. im really more concerned about the price of living over there (flat sharing costs etc)
    because im more than willing to work like 10000 jobs to get me onto a contiki tour.

• 24 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

6000pounds is just like having $6000 here in Australia. Everything is relative.

If you spend $5 on a takeaway coffee here you’ll spend about 5pounds there. You can’t look at that 5pounds being about $13 though otherwise you will drive yourself mad.

• 24 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by PinaI:

If you spend $5 on a takeaway coffee here you’ll spend about 5pounds there. You can’t look at that 5pounds being about $13 though otherwise you will drive yourself mad.

lol, yes! =X It’s a scary prospect! I also dont’ want to think about it too much..

• 25 Jun 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar

I’m also battling with this

I’m spending 12 days in London/ UK at 100 Pounds per day excluding sights and 12 days on Contiki at 100 Euros per day excluding optional extras and sights Am i Over budgeting ??
    I understand everyone is different … I’m not a huge drinker but can be on occasion.. And Id like to buy some things on the way.. Just seems like a lot of money specially converting to the Rand R16 = 1 Pound R13.50 = 1 Euro and this is probably going to be even higher by the end of the year..

Would really appreciate any advice! Thanks!

• 26 Jun 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

I’m sorry, I just wanted to have a whinge about our Aussie dollar! I’m trying to save but its so discouraging when you stop and think that your hard earned $5000 ends up only roughly 3060 euro or 2400 pound Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> I just hope I have enough!!! although I guess you don’t have to worry about much cash on the days youre on the bus hey?

• 27 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by MeganSD:
    I’m sorry, I just wanted to have a whinge about our Aussie dollar! I’m trying to save but its so discouraging when you stop and think that your hard earned $5000 ends up only roughly 3060 euro or 2400 pound Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> I just hope I have enough!!! although I guess you don’t have to worry about much cash on the days youre on the bus hey?

I know, it really does suck.

Do you have a high interest account linked to your everyday account at all?

The National and Westpac, for example, have internet savings accounts that pay 7.05% per annum. On $5000, that’s $350 in interest you’ll earn in the year for doing nothing. The accounts have no fees/charges – well worth it.

I know you don’t have that long before you go but maybe think about it for next time.

• 27 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    [The National and Westpac, for example, have internet savings accounts that pay 7.05% per annum. On $5000, that’s $350 in interest you’ll earn in the year for doing nothing. The accounts have no fees/charges – well worth it.

! Wow.. I don’t think Canada’s ‘high interest account’ interest rates are anywhere near that high!

I have a normal account, and I pretty much get 0.000001? interest a year. lol

• 27 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cyphus:
    quote:
    [The National and Westpac, for example, have internet savings accounts that pay 7.05% per annum. On $5000, that’s $350 in interest you’ll earn in the year for doing nothing. The accounts have no fees/charges – well worth it.

! Wow.. I don’t think Canada’s ‘high interest account’ interest rates are anywhere near that high! oh yeah.. and I’m pretty sure these accts cost $$

I have a normal account, and I pretty much get 0.000001? interest a year. lol

• 27 Jun 2008 lady_o said

lady_o

I think the US dollar is in even more dire straights than Canada or Aus.!! So depressing!these are hard earned dollars here and they mean next to nothing! and cyphus…pretty sure my interest rate is somewhere along the lines of .00000000001 also =(

• 6 Jul 2008 Tam said

Default_avatar

omg now i’m nervous… i was just worried about paying the tour and flights off.. only thought i’d need a little spending money ha ha…
    i have 12 pay’s to go.. i’m not eating a thing until i leave Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Jul 2008 Treen said

Default_avatar

I didn’t realize either that we would need so much in spending money! Oh well guess that’s what credit cards are for! You only live once!
    I am not too much of a drinker, so hopefully that will save me some $$.

• 8 Jul 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I was gone for 23 days + 2 flying days. The tour was $2155, I had extra nights for $55 and 90 euro (before and after respectively). After that and a $825 flight I spent about 85 euro/day. I was a relatively light drinker, heavy sightseer, heavy eater, and heavy shopper.

If you are in London for any long time (3-5 days) I definitely recommend the London Pass and the Tube Pass if you are going a lot. Might not save you too much cash, but if there is a line you could get to skip it at some places

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion