Community_discussions_small  

Question

Advice for Travelling to Australia

14 Aug 2014 Samantha asked

Samantha

I am doing the Big Walkabout with Sailing. I have found loads of information about what to bring/not to bring etc, but a lot of the forums seem to be posting about trips to Europe. Does anyone have any tips for travelling in Australia? Or travelling on this particular tour? Must have’s, do’s and see’s? Things you wish you did, wish your brought, didn't need etc.

Thanks!

• 14 Aug 2014 Elizabeth said

Elizabeth

Depending on what time of year you’re going, it’s hot here! Especially in summer (Nov-Feb) it usually gets to mid-30’s, in north queensland and northern territory it can easily be hotter. It also tends to be really humid here. You’ll definitely need sunscreen, although it might end up cheaper to buy it once you arrive. You’ll also definitely want insect repellent for outdoor activities, we have a lot of mosquitoes and midges. It’s pretty casual dress-wise, in summer shorts or dress and thongs is pretty much the uniform, and jeans for cooler weather. A lot of girls get really dressed up to go out but you don’t have to, you can get away with sandals just about everywhere. I live in Brisbane but have been to sydney, fraser island, cairns and the gold/sunshine coasts so if you have any more questions i’m glad to help!

• 14 Aug 2014 Elizabeth said

Elizabeth

Oh and in cairns you should totally do a reef trip if you get the chance, it’s awesome.

• 18 Aug 2014 Krista said

Krista

Hey Samantha,
    I’m about to do the Outback Adventure in 2 weeks. I also live in Brisbane, Australia and agree with Elizabeth with what she said. good advice Elizabeth :) Apparently in the Outback (Like Alice Springs) it gets a bit cooler at night (something I’m not use too) so I’ll be packing warm because we spend a night out under the stars in a swag (Australian term for sleeping bag) you’ll love fraser island. I use to go every year when I was a kid. loved it! the reef is beautiful up in the top end (Cairns)
    same with me, any questions like Elizabeth said you can ask :)
    I hope you have an amazing time! Australia really is a beautiful country.

• 28 Aug 2014 Samantha said

Samantha

Thanks girls! I am going October 25-November 21. Coming from Canada I can’t wait for some heat, we’ve had a cool summer this year unfortunately. If I have any other questions I will definitely ask you two. If you think of any other tips please let me know. I’m going alone, so I am both excited and terrified.

• 24 Sep 2014 Samantha said

Samantha

Hey Krista, how was your trip? Do you have any other advice now that you’ve been on the trip?

• 24 Sep 2014 Krista said

Krista

Hey Samantha :)

ahhh, you’ll be wearing walking shoes a lot in the outback so make sure you pack a good pair (but don’t care if they get dirty) I threw my pair away cause they were old and I had to buy a new pair anyway. pack a lot of sunscreen, a hat and insect repellent. pack something nice cause on the last night as a tour group in the outback you have a sunset champagne at the lookout with Uluru in the background. maybe bring an old sheet as well cause the place in Uluru is pretty average. bring a beach towel with you. you’ll need it for the night under the stars at kings creek station. the camping ground isn’t clost to the toilets but it’s not far if that makes sense. bring thongs (flip flops with you) to use in the shower etc. and maybe pack some extra socks cause I don’t think 4 was enough for me (stuff them in your shoes when you pack – more room)
    there was about 23 people on my tour. but the east coast will be a full tour no doubt. with the sunrise at Uluru it got pretty cold so make sure you pack something warm just incase – same for the camping under the star. I know you’ll be there in summer but it doesn’t hurt to have it just in case. bring a water bottle! if you do the kings creek canyon rim walk – the manager tells you to bring 1.5lts of water and you will need it! it’s exhausting but worth the view! do the helicopter flight over Uluru and the olgas. I did the one with goes for 30mins. I thought it was worth it. the flight over Kakadu was awesome (I did it for my birthday)
    there is an optional dinner at a steakhouse – but you miss out on a dinner that’s already paid for in Alice Springs. it’s up to you whether or not you take it as the whole group don’t do it together. the people doing the outback adventure do it when they come back to alice. ps the camel is amazing! you don’t get to do the hot air balloon ride in alice springs as you guys stay in Uluru and fly to cairns that way. the hike around Uluru is ok. we were given 3hrs to walk it and we did it in 2hrs and 40mins stopping for photos along the way (it’s 10.6km around I think) don’t walk around alone at night. make sure someone is with you.
    the thermal pools at Mataranka are amazing! it’s like a pool but it has sand at the bottom. we only had an hr there and it wasn’t enough – make sure you put your bikini on before you get there cause it’s a distance from the toilets. make sure you bring a backpack. I used mine everyday and for the night under the stars along with another bag. if you can as well – buy an Australia powerboard. there aren’t many power points that you access in the room. they are cheap too from kmart :) bring some old clothes. we had a glow party on our first night in Darwin at the bar we went too. there is a thriftshop (we call them op shops) you’ll have more time to go there if you don’t do the croc park just down the road. bring a torch as well (only a small one) as you may need it during the night when you camp under the stars :) the food is pretty average, but the dinner at alice springs was better…

if you have instagram check out my photos @ wanderingtheworld05 :) I had such an amazing time.

oh tenant creek isn’t the best place. we apparently stay in the nicer hotel in the area but the aboriginals check your doors to see if they are unlock so they can steal your alcohol. so make sure your doors are locked at all times.

I hope that helps you out. if you have any other questions let me know :) x

• 25 Sep 2014 Samantha said

Samantha

Oh wow that all sounds awesome! Thanks for the great tips! I wouldn’t have thought to bring old clothes or things I don’t mind getting ruined. Very helpful! I will definitely check out your photos

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.