Community_discussions_small  

Question

Advice for Travelling to Australia

14 Aug 2014 Samantha asked

Samantha

I am doing the Big Walkabout with Sailing. I have found loads of information about what to bring/not to bring etc, but a lot of the forums seem to be posting about trips to Europe. Does anyone have any tips for travelling in Australia? Or travelling on this particular tour? Must have’s, do’s and see’s? Things you wish you did, wish your brought, didn't need etc.

Thanks!

• 14 Aug 2014 Elizabeth said

Elizabeth

Depending on what time of year you’re going, it’s hot here! Especially in summer (Nov-Feb) it usually gets to mid-30’s, in north queensland and northern territory it can easily be hotter. It also tends to be really humid here. You’ll definitely need sunscreen, although it might end up cheaper to buy it once you arrive. You’ll also definitely want insect repellent for outdoor activities, we have a lot of mosquitoes and midges. It’s pretty casual dress-wise, in summer shorts or dress and thongs is pretty much the uniform, and jeans for cooler weather. A lot of girls get really dressed up to go out but you don’t have to, you can get away with sandals just about everywhere. I live in Brisbane but have been to sydney, fraser island, cairns and the gold/sunshine coasts so if you have any more questions i’m glad to help!

• 14 Aug 2014 Elizabeth said

Elizabeth

Oh and in cairns you should totally do a reef trip if you get the chance, it’s awesome.

• 18 Aug 2014 Krista said

Krista

Hey Samantha,
    I’m about to do the Outback Adventure in 2 weeks. I also live in Brisbane, Australia and agree with Elizabeth with what she said. good advice Elizabeth :) Apparently in the Outback (Like Alice Springs) it gets a bit cooler at night (something I’m not use too) so I’ll be packing warm because we spend a night out under the stars in a swag (Australian term for sleeping bag) you’ll love fraser island. I use to go every year when I was a kid. loved it! the reef is beautiful up in the top end (Cairns)
    same with me, any questions like Elizabeth said you can ask :)
    I hope you have an amazing time! Australia really is a beautiful country.

• 28 Aug 2014 Samantha said

Samantha

Thanks girls! I am going October 25-November 21. Coming from Canada I can’t wait for some heat, we’ve had a cool summer this year unfortunately. If I have any other questions I will definitely ask you two. If you think of any other tips please let me know. I’m going alone, so I am both excited and terrified.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.