Community_discussions_small  

Question

Credit cards - Pen or Pin?

28 Jan 2009 danbiscuit asked

danbiscuit
Heyas. In Australia the banks are rolling out the option to use a PIN number when using your credit card instead of the usual way of simply signing.

Which is the most commonly used option in the USA? I don't want to switch over to the whole PIN way of doing things if the US still mainly uses signatures?
  • 28 Jan 2009 Explorer1111110 said

Default_avatar

Hi

Every time I’ve been to the States (and Canada) they usually get you to sign for your purchase AFTER they’ve given you your card back! Here in the UK we’ve been chip and pin for over a year, so I don’t know any different. I guess when my mum and stepdad visit the UK from Canada they have to sign for purchases (I think the chip and pin machines can still override it if necessary).

• 28 Jan 2009 gig08 said

gig08

Hey,

I live in Canada and they are just starting to switch over to PIN instead of signatures. Most places still do both, as some people still have CC’s that don’t have the chip. Not too sure about the USA…but when I was there in August, most of the places I went to still used signatures…..
    Guess it’s just a matter of preference….

• 28 Jan 2009 PinaI said

PinaI

Yeah, it won’t matter. Even if you start using your pin you can still sign for it in the US.

• 29 Jan 2009 said

Default_avatar

Id say go with the Pin card, they work both ways, and most of the places here and in NY that I go to have the pin tech It is however just starting to be widely introduced.
    Most of the new cards shipped out by Banks and lenders here all seem to be Pin cards, so Id expect it to be common place pretty soon.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion