Community_discussions_small  

Question

Decisions

26 Aug 2014 Krista asked

Krista

So my questions is: do people normally just book a big tour, or do they book small tours here and there and then do their own thing?
the main countries I want to see are Italy and Greece, but I would also like to see other places as well. if I were to book a big tour, it would be European Escapade (25days). I've only ever had travel agents help me book tours so I wouldn't even know where to start.
or would it be best to small tours and see other parts of Europe on your own? I'm a little scared travelling solo without a tour. but I've looked at doing Simply Italy and Greek Adventurer.

help a girl out!

• 26 Aug 2014 matt said

matt

Hey there!
    Im heading over next year for around 6 weeks, thinking of doing the greek island adventuer for 8 days, then heading back to london to do the escapade tour for 25 days then onto oktoberfest.. that way i get to do bits on my own as well as tours and see pretty much everything i want to see!
    when are you thinking of going?

• 26 Aug 2014 Tyler3750 said

Tyler3750

Will be heading over next august for the escapade triip, then winging it from Amsterdam down to Greece not sure what’s gonna be in between but that’s the fun bit to figure out once I’m there

• 26 Aug 2014 Krista said

Krista

hey guys! thanks for your responses :)
    I would love to go for 6 wks as well. just depends if work could give me that much time off (haven’t hit my long service leave yet – still another 3 yrs!)
    a friend and I were talking and we were thinking in 2016 for 3-4 months but I don’t know if I can wait that long, so I would like to try for next year in about September (gives me more time to save) once I have done my contiki (next week) i’ll be able to look into it more :) but keen to do European Escapade as it does the places I want to see. I would love to see Cinque Terre in Italy, but the only tour that does it is the simply Italy one (along with out places)
    have you guys booked your tours yet or waiting? I’m tempted to put down a deposit for now and pay the rest off in Dec before the prices go back up.
    Tyler, how long will you be in Europe for all up? both trips sound amazing guys! :)

Krista

• 26 Aug 2014 matt said

matt

nice, im looking at greece end of august then escapade start of september so it aligns with oktoberfest!

Krista

awww, I don’t think it posted my response.
    hoping to go for about 6-8 wks. def keen to do both tours you’re doing Matt. I think they are both a good amount of time in all the places (most 2 nights) but would also like to see Cinque Terre but the only tour that goes there is the simply Italy one :(
    I’m tempted to put a deposit down for now, and pay it off before dec but then i’ll be left with no savings. haha.
    when are you guys going? what dates have you booked?
    have you guys started looking at flights yet?

Krista

good choice! how long does Oktoberfest run for Matt? would you be doing that with contiki or on your own? where abouts would you be staying in London? backpackers? I’ve only ever stayed in hotels (a little more expensive I know)

• 26 Aug 2014 mbenjamin said

mbenjamin

I’m looking at doing the Expedition next July and then spending some time in London on my own!

• 27 Aug 2014 Krista said

Krista

how long will you be spending in London for mbenjamin? :)

• 27 Aug 2014 mbenjamin said

mbenjamin

About 3-5 days!

• 27 Aug 2014 matt said

matt

Oktoberfest goes for a few weeks i think! havnt decided if i will do a tour.. i prob will do contiki after my escapade tour finishes though at the end of september :)

• 27 Aug 2014 Madeleine Purcell said

Madeleine Purcell

I’ve booked the Ultimate European + Egypt in April which is 45 days and then I’m doing another 3 weeks off in places that I want to do for longer periods of time. I want to cover as much ground as I can in a short amount of time and my tour lets me do that very well! :)

• 27 Aug 2014 Krista said

Krista

oh nice MadeleinePurcell!!!! sounds like fun! I wish I could get that much time off work! haha.

• 27 Aug 2014 David_093 said

David_093

I’m booking trail to rome for 16 days for new years! I am planning to stay in london for a few days before hand and rome after the tour because i think i will need some recovery!

• 27 Aug 2014 Tyler3750 said

Tyler3750

I’ve booked mine for 16/8-9/9/15. Haven’t been able to check out flights yet so waiting on the specials around Xmas time. Planning to be over for about 3months tho so just need to figure out how long to spend in London/Scotland before the tour. Planning around Oktoberfest as well so will spend time getting from Amsterdam to Munich and then head from Munich to Greece.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.