Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern 14th May - 8 June 2015

31 Aug 2014 JayH asked

JayH

Hey all, anyone else booked on the Grand Southern 14th May - 8th June?

• 2 Sep 2014 KellyEsposa said

Default_avatar

There will always be something that we need to encounter in travelling such places. – ReputationAdvocate.com

• 9 Sep 2014 candicemccowen said

candicemccowen

yeahh so exciteddd :)

• 10 Sep 2014 JayH said

JayH

Hey Candice, so you are coming all the way from LA to NY? is this your first contiki? traveling with friends or solo? anything you are looking forward to the most?

• 10 Sep 2014 candicemccowen said

candicemccowen

Hey jay,
    Im travelling with my friend Monique. Wbu?
    We arrive in LA a week before contiki starts and then stay an extra 2 weeks in NY after contiki ends :)
    So ive only travelled to cheap places like fiji and bali and were a little unsure on roughly how much spending money to bring. Can i ask how much you were thinking of bringing?
    Im probably most excited to go on contiki and travel with strangers haha it should be lots of fun wbu!

• 10 Nov 2014 Kitty said

Kitty

Hey guys :) i’m on this trip too – LA through to NY. Will be on a 1 month stint down in Mexico on contiki before this trip too! can’t wait!!!

Candice – it is hard to say about spending money because everyone is so different, but I budget on $75AUD per day (not including all the extras on the trip). The days you are on the bus travelling you tend not to spend as much so i’ve found $75 to be a good average :) hope that helps!

• 10 Dec 2014 Mitch1990 said

Default_avatar

I just signed up for this one as well! I’ll be in LA from the 10th and flying solo so would be keen to find some people to go sightseeing with! Also staying in NYC for a week after as well.

• 10 Dec 2014 JayH said

JayH

Hi Mitch, my mate, brother and myself will be arriving on the 11th of May, staying at the Miyako hotel in Downtown, a few of us have started making plans of what to see and when, so you’re welcome to join us, only thing for certain is Disneys California world on the 12th, we are also staying an extra 4 days in NY as well. I’ve done a couple of contikis so if you have any questions, send em my way.

• 10 Dec 2014 Kitty said

Kitty

I fly into LA mid afternoon on the 13th, staying at whatever the contiki recommended place is! So will see you all then :)

• 10 Dec 2014 JayH said

JayH

Hi Kitty,
    I believe that the tour is departing from the Miyako and the pre tour meeting will also be held there the night before. It’s located in the downtown area of LA. Anyone doing the LA explorer prior to the tour will be staying there as well. See you there :-)

• 11 Dec 2014 Kitty said

Kitty

I will be on the LA Explorer in April – pre Mexico. Unfortunately that’s the only way I could do both the Mexico and America’s tours that I wanted so I only have 1 day between them both! Will be epic :D

• 11 Dec 2014 Mitch1990 said

Default_avatar

Nice. I was told that the pre-trip accom is great so I assume that that’s the hotel you’re talking about (I booked through a travel agent so Contiki still hasn’t contacted me at all). I’m definitely leaning towards booking there.

I’ve never done a contiki before but done a few things with Busabout so I assume it’s pretty similar. A friend of mine did this tour in August and said it was the best thing she’s ever done so I’m pretty excited. It would be great to have some people to hang out with rather than wander around Hollywood alone.

• 11 Dec 2014 candicemccowen said

candicemccowen

We should definitely all hang out together in Hollywood before Contiki begins :)

• 11 Dec 2014 Kitty said

Kitty

Hey Mitch, I have done both busabout and contiki and I loved them both :) Busabout is a lot more independent and flexible but Contiki is a nice break to have everything organised for you! When did you do busabout? I was there in 2012 – definitely overdue for an overseas adventure

• 11 Dec 2014 Mitch1990 said

Default_avatar

I did the Croatia Island hopper in June and just the four day Running of the Bulls Busabout in Spain in July. I liked them but my biggest issue was that they barely had anything organised for us. Apart from the drinking at night, they only organised about an hour a day of stuff to do so I don’t feel like I made the most of my time. I’m definitely happy for Contiki to tell me where to go and what to do most of the time haha.

I also was with a group of six for both of those tours but I’m excited to go solo this time.

• 11 Dec 2014 Kitty said

Kitty

Nice, i did the running of the bulls too. Yeah i found Busabout incredibly difficult to budget for, hopped on the bus and they had all these add ons and i just hadn’t budgeted for! I like that contiki is upfront about what is included and what isn’t, and they give you the cost of what’s not included which i think helps a lot! I’ll be solo too :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.