Community_discussions_small  

Comment

I went on this tour in the fall so ask me any questions I would love to help:)

21 Apr 2009 Explorer1088020 said

Default_avatar
Smiler
  • 22 Apr 2009 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

how much money did you bring?

• 23 Apr 2009 Explorer1088020 said

Default_avatar

i brought about 2000 in your $$

• 23 Apr 2009 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

did you find that that was enough?

• 26 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

Did you take a bathing suit? I have seen bathing suits on everyone’s suggested packing list but wasn’t sure if that included this tour.

• 4 May 2009 Kylie21 said

Kylie21

What did you find was the best part? Worst part? Did you spend all your spending money?

• 25 May 2009 HMDC said

Default_avatar

Hey guys! I know I didn’t start this thread, but I just finished this tour last week and thought that my input might be helpful.

I went with my fiancee and we spent approximately $2100 (Australian dollars) each, which includes the optionals (we did all of them, except we only bought one Gretna Green photo and didn’t buy the other group photo, and we met up with a friend in Edinburgh instead of going to the Scottish evening), food and souvenirs. What you spend really depends on you though, for some of the days we took croissants from the breakfast that was provided to eat for lunch (most people on our tour did this). If you drink a lot or want to buy lots of souvenirs you’ll probably need more money, but for most people on this tour, $2000 US dollars would be plenty.

At this time of year, you won’t need a bathing suit in the UK and Ireland. The temperature was between 13-19 degrees celsius. It really depends which time of year you go, there are plenty of websites out there that can advise you of the average temperature of cities around the world. Oh and on this tour you don’t have heaps of time to relax and go swimming… except at one of the hotels we stayed at (I can’t remember which one it was, but it was either in England or Scotland), one girl on our tour used the hotel pool. The hotels are really nice by the way, heaps better than I expected.

As far as the optionals go, in my opinion the Oxford walking tour and the Kilkenny walking tour were pretty boring. I did like the Trinity College tour and the York ghost tour though. I didn’t go to the Scottish evening but most people I spoke to enjoyed it. The farewell evening at the Merry Ploughboy is great! It’s expensive but it’s well worth it.

Another optional that isn’t listed is the Aran Islands, you can go there if you like on the free day in Galway. It costs 25 Euro, and then you pay about 10 euro for a tour around the island. It was FANTASTIC! You go right next to the edge of cliffs! If you’re lucky and it’s not raining (we were lucky!), you can sit on the edge and it’s just amazing. Our tour manager said it’s only a relatively new additional to the optional extras, that’s why it’s not listed on the website.

If you really want to kiss the Blarney stone at Blarney castle, make sure you go there first and make your visit a fairly quick one. We didn’t get a chance to go because we had lunch first, and by the time we’d eaten we had 20 minutes before we had to get on the bus.

Oh and in Liverpool, if you’re into the Beatles go to the Beatles museum and Beatles store before the dinner. Everyone who went loved it and bought some great stuff, I wish we went.

Wow I wrote a lot! I hope this is useful guys. This tour is fantastic, I’m sure you guys will love it as much as I did.

Holly Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.