Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money

7 Dec 2006 Burgo17 said

Default_avatar
I just had a few questions regarding spending moeny in New Zealand whil on tour.

First of all, I'm not bringing any cash over but I'm using my ATM card and cash passport. So, when I arrive at the Auckland airport is there an ATM to use straight away so I can get cash. If I was to buy anything on the plane, do they accept Australian dollars? In general, do you need much cash on the trip over.

Also, as I'm only starting my new job after I get back I can't get a credit card. So, just from people who have been before there shouldn't be any problems in not having a credit card. Is it fine just to pay most things in cash.

Is EFTPOS avilaable to purchase such things as food/optionals (I've heard its onyl credit or cash for optionals). If so, are EFTPOS fees expensive as I don't want to use EFTPOS if its the same charge as ATMS. When do you actually pay for the optionals.

So, if someone could just tell me if I'm doing the right thing in using ATM's and cash passport that'd be great. Any general advice on money would be great.

Thanks
Aaron

P.S. IF anyone is going on the Grand Adventurer on January 18th 2007 from Auckland let me know.
  • 8 Dec 2006 Pervy said

Pervy

First off i’m 95% sure there are atm’s at Auckland airport, or there are two banks once you clear coustoms, but i’m sure there are atm’s before that.Aussies dollars on the plane should be fine.I don’t know which airline you are flying on but unless you are flying on jet star or freedom air or pacific blue you shouldn’t need any money for drinks or food.Shouldn’t be a problem paying for stuff with cash, thats how I paid for all my options in europe but I paid with my credit card in America. I know over here it’s always a good idea to ask for cash when buying stuff with EFPTOS at the supermarket(beer and junk food) only one bank charge for doing two things. Hope this helps a little, if i’m wrong about anything sorry and you can come to my house and hit me hard in the shoulder. Try Export Gold Speights or Tui, Steinlarger gives you a good hangover.

• 25 Dec 2006 Caity85 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    Just a quick suggestion –since you don’t have a credit card is to get an ANZ visa debit card (can be used anywhere in the world since its visa but you don’t need any credit application for it I don’t work so that’s what I’m getting). Have an awesome trip- I’m going later Feb 9th Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 Jan 2007 TikiMan said

Default_avatar

There are plenty of ATM machines around New Zealand and in the Auckland airport. It is a good idea to carry around $200 in NZ cash in case of emergency but you really don’t need to carry more since there are a bunch all over. I never had a problem getting my money.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion