Community_discussions_small  

Question

Travellers Cheques??

4 Jul 2007 Claire asked

Default_avatar
Hi Guys

I am going on the European Escapade in August and was just wondering if any of you can give me advice as to what the best way is to carry money. I am worried about taking credit and debit cards and then they don't work in the countries we are travelling to. Is it best to get travellers cheques and how much should I take....also what are the best travellers cheques to get in terms of being able to cash them and avoid big charges when cashing them.
Thanks!
  • 4 Jul 2007 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I’ve looked this up extensively. It’s cheaper to take ATM cards and Credit Cards. You just need to let your banks know before you leave so they can put a note on your account. Otherwise the fraud department picks it up and holds the account. Capital One cards have 0% fees for credit purchases, but most banks have some percent fee to get money out at ATMS, or flat rates. I think my bank has 3% of foreign transaction, plus whatever fee the bank charges. Obviously to avoid the flat fees I’d take out more to last for 3 or 4 days in a row.

• 4 Jul 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve only taken Travelers Cheques on vacation as a backup. I use ATM’s and Credit Cards and sometimes bring some local money to cover me the first day or two.

• 4 Jul 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Use the FIND feature or just scroll through the list of forum threads… this has been discussed at length many times and the information is all here for the finding.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.