Community_discussions_small  

Question

Euros or travelers checks?

28 Sep 2010 Explorer1200805 asked

Explorer1200805
I was curious what is better to take Euros or Travelers Checks?
  • 28 Sep 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Euros for sure, hardly anyone uses Travellers Cheques anymore I think they’re being phased out lol

• 28 Sep 2010 PinaI said

PinaI

Euros and credit cards.

Travellers Cheques can be very hard to use/change in some places. Cards are accepted pretty much everywhere!

• 29 Sep 2010 Wez said

Wez

Agree with PinaI above, go Euros and Cradit card.

• 29 Sep 2010 Explorer1200805 said

Explorer1200805

Thank a ton!!!!

• 25 Oct 2010 alicia said

alicia

i agree on the travel card, i too have just come back. look into ANZ, passportcash and commonwealth travel cards they all work the same
    i used commonwealth because
    1. the card cost me $15 you get 2 card and 2 pin numbers (i left one in my suitcase)
    2. the 1st load is free but if you than need to recharge which you can do through BPAY it charges 1% (i think- i loaded all my cash in 1 hit to save that little bit extra) the other cards charge 15 from 1st load (as i loaded all my cash in 1 go i was saving $)
    i only used my card at ATM’s it did cost 2euro but so what they charge $2 in OZ if i use a different banks ATM… i just took out 500 out at a time and stashed some in my suitcase…
    have a look at all 3 to find the one for you! i too would use this card again
    i was worried bout ‘should i take cash to start with’ but as i never had trouble using the ATM’s i wouldnt bother there are ATM’s at the airport (getting pound/euro’s from the bank i just wasted more $ in the exchange rate)
    but if you feel that you need cash you can sometimes get it straight over the counter at the bank if the have some on hand
    good luck and enjoy your trip!

• 25 Oct 2010 Lottie said

Default_avatar

Avoid travellers cheques!!

We had so much trouble exchanging them when we went on a European tour 3 years ago it wasn’t funny.

Cash, credit cards and the cash cards are awesome becuase you can use them at most atms.

• 25 Oct 2010 sarah67 said

Default_avatar

Go for Euros. If you happen to be in a tiny city in the middle of nowhere of France or Germany, there are chances that no one will even know what Travellers Checks are !
    Be careful when withdrawing cash too, ask your banker what the withdrawal fees are for each country you are going to visit.

• 17 Dec 2010 Erroneously said

Default_avatar

For all Australians, I recommend the Commonwealth Bank Travel card.

From now until 31st December, if you get a card and some cash and the total has a value of $1000 AUD, you’re charged no currency exchange fees or card purchase fees. Also, you can load more than one currency onto the card, so you don’t end up with too many to keep track of.

• 17 Dec 2010 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

If you get a travelex card thru Contiki they wave the %1 commission so you only pay what the atm operator charges you when you get money out

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion