Community_discussions_small  

Comment

MORE Laptop questions - SORRY GUYS!!!

23 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar
Ok so i will definitely be bringing my laptop as I said in my other post and thanks for your replies! I was wondering if I should buy a laptop case such as this one? :

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/laptop-case-trolley-17-inch-notebook-silver/

That way I could bring it on the plane with me and also could trolley it round whereer I went - im worried bout leaving it in hotel rooms so if i had this on the bus with me i should be fine??? Would i also need to trolley it round with me wherever we walked or would it be safely locked in the bus while we were not in it????

HELP!

Lauren
  • 23 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar

Help anyone Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:-->

• 23 Oct 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

Im not quite sure you would need a trolley – it seems like it would take up alot of space… if you’re not on the bus you can leave it there, you dont have to take it with you. The bus will be locked, and alot of time the driver is in there… but there is a chance of the coach getting broken into. I would take a smaller laptop bag so that you can still put all of your accessories in it (cords etc) and it wont be too big to put under or above a seat when not in use
    I think id feel safer having it in the hotel room then on the bus? If you had a sleeve to put your laptop in, you can put it in your main piece of luggage and then lock it when you leave

Default_avatar

True i see what you mean but that case does have heaps of room for the cords and even for extra stuff. I dont have any room in my main suitcase for the laptop and i wanted it with me on the plane also!!! Plus it’s very cheap – even for normal 17" laptop cases im bein quoted $80 this is a wheelable case which’ll also fit extra stuff for only $60!

• 23 Oct 2007 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

While I was in University I sold computers and accessories…

I would say get one of those over the shoulder messenger bag style cases. Make sure to get one with sufficient padding, mainly around the sides and top. If you can, take your laptop in and test fit it before buying. Paying a little extra for a nicer case is worth it concidering the contents.

Keep in mind you will also need an adapter and all that to plug it in!

Default_avatar

Hi Chris that was my thought exactly it is definitely padded and looks very good quality… did you click the link and take a look? Let me know what you think Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I don’t think that is going to fly. You are only allowed one main luggage (20 kg total) and a carry-on day bag (5 kg). By Carry-on, it is not carry-on size as you see in a plane, but much smaller. Perhaps a small backpack at most. Think of it this way, it is luggage that can accompany you as you walk around touring all the sites, such as the Eiffel tower or the Colloseum – and roller luggage does not fit that mold. Also, the space on the coach is much more limited.

- Vic

Default_avatar

Hmmm i thought it would have been ok as it only weighs 3.5kg and then with the laptop added to it i didnt think it would exceed that limit!

Default_avatar

Ok well i just checked with Singapore airlines who i will be flying with the entire way and their requirements are:

Economy Class (Y)
    One piece of in-cabin baggage
    Total weight not to exceed 7 kg (15 lb) per piece
    Maximum size not to exceed 115 cm (45 in) – sum of the height, width, and depth of the bag

Like i said the case itself is 3.5kg so it’d def be fine weight wise, and the dimensions add up to 107cm so fine and under the 115cm max requirements.

Unless it’s going to be a problem in the bus/coach then i dont see any reason not to get it!!!

Thoughts???

• 23 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

As I’ve mentioned, the space on the coach is much more limited and SMALLER then a commercial airline!! It is not designed for everyone to bring weekender suitcases. And looking at the suitcase (which is about the size of your notebook trolley), it’s already 3.5 kg EMPTY. Laptop is probably 2 kg and the suitcase will still mostly be empty and that’ll get heavy pretty quick.

Perhaps consider a backpack – it’ll def be more convenient and lighter. Here is one example … Targus backpack

- Vic

• 24 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar

Vic I took your advice and bought a Targus brand one – do you think this one is ok??? Was hard to find a good one that’d fit 17" laptop!!!

http://www.ht.com.au/job/3079361/part/Targus-CityGear-T…ck-yellow/detail.hts

Let me know what u think pls Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 24 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Hi Lauren,

the link brought me to a laptop shoulder case. It does say 17" so your notebook should fit.

- Vic

• 24 Oct 2007 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

Targus makes some pretty sturdy laptop bags, you should have nothing to worry about. Don’t forget to purchase an adapter for your trip before you go though!

I think you will be much happier with the smaller bag anways, the less you need to haul around with you the better in Airports.

Looks like you have it all sorted out Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.