Community_discussions_small  

Question

Contiki in Australia or in New Zealand????

28 May 2007 Kristy asked

Default_avatar
Ok so here's my question.. Well I'm planning on go to Australia and New Zealand but I'm not sure which contiki trip I should do or if I should just do both of them. I wanted to do the Grand Explorer in New Zealand and either the beaches and reefs or reefs and rainforests in Australia. Which would you recommend on doing with Contiki and Which one would you recommend doing on my own????
  • 29 May 2007 beckyboo said

Default_avatar

hi kristy

my first question would be when are u thinking of going cause that would determine it all. any tour would be great by yourself you’d make heaps of friends. im from sydney but i used to live in townsville and near coffs harbour and ive been to every place that you tour. to me both of the tours are very similar the rainforests are so beautiful. but the weather can really affect your time there. it can become very muggy there and with the beaches you can only swim in nets at certain times due to the jellyfish. but if you have any more questions id love to help out

bec

• 29 May 2007 Vixi said

Default_avatar

Hi
    I’m doing both the beaches and Reefs and Grand Explorer! I’m doing B&R in November then the Explorer in Dec.

Vix

• 13 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Hey, I’ve gone on both the B & R and grand Explorer with Contiki and think you should go on both of them. New Zealand is the most beautiful place I’ve gone and offers the best optionals. The scenery is breathtaking where youll see snow capped mountains in the background and clear blue freshwater lakes with lots of greenery.
    Australia also offers great scenry plus youll get to see the great Barrief Reef & stay on the Whitsundays which is one of the most beautiful beaches & most relaxing part of any Contiki I’ve taken.
    Either country would be more diffucult to get around on your own. plus you’d miss out on the opportunity of making goof friends.

Anything else you’d like to know, just ask.
    Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

Southern Ireland ‘97
    Grand Explorer ’00
    Rainbow Nation ’01 (no longer offered by Contiki)
    Beaches & Reefs ’02-’03

• 9 Sep 2007 Anita said

Default_avatar

Hi Kristy!

I’ve been on the reefs and rainforests in Australia and the grand explorer in New Zealand. I would HIGHLY recommend experiencing both cultures. I had the time of my life on Contiki; I made friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. As for which one to do on your own I would highly recommend that you go on Contiki to both destinations. Contiki took us to some of the most beautiful hidden places that I would never found if I had gone by myself. A few recommendations I have is to take full advantage of the optional excursions- there well worth the money in the long run. In Australia, defiantly go on the 3 day yachting experience it was absolutely amazing!

Safe travels and if you have any other questions don’t hesitate to e-mail me

anitaspence@hotmail.com

• 12 Sep 2007 steve said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Loogie:
    Hey, I’ve gone on both the B & R and grand Explorer with Contiki and think you should go on both of them. New Zealand is the most beautiful place I’ve gone and offers the best optionals. The scenery is breathtaking where youll see snow capped mountains in the background and clear blue freshwater lakes with lots of greenery.
    Australia also offers great scenry plus youll get to see the great Barrief Reef & stay on the Whitsundays which is one of the most beautiful beaches & most relaxing part of any Contiki I’ve taken.
    Either country would be more diffucult to get around on your own. plus you’d miss out on the opportunity of making goof friends.

Anything else you’d like to know, just ask.
    Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

Southern Ireland ‘97
    Grand Explorer ’00
    Rainbow Nation ’01 (no longer offered by Contiki)
    Beaches & Reefs ’02-’03

goof friends????please explain

• 9 Nov 2007 lodjo said

Default_avatar

On this same subject, when is the time to travel to Australia and New Zealand? I to and torn behind the different locations. I’m interested in visiting winery also, is that an option? Any suggstions. This will be my first solo tour, I’m excited but nervous.

Thanks for the help!

• 12 Nov 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Whatever you decide to do, I would suggest doing your tours at the beginning of the trip. You’re likely to find people on tour that you could travel with independently with after the tour.

• 13 Nov 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara
    quote:
    Originally posted by lodjo:
    On this same subject, when is the time to travel to Australia and New Zealand? I to and torn behind the different locations. I’m interested in visiting winery also, is that an option? Any suggstions. This will be my first solo tour, I’m excited but nervous.

Thanks for the help!

I’m an Aussie who’s seen a lot of NZ.

Unless you want to ski, I’d probably avoid NZ in the winter months (June-July). Summer is a beautiful time in NZ and there are heaps of ‘thrill’ activities to do as well. Just keep in mind its peak season.

Australia is great in the summer, but some temps might be a bit too warm if you aren’t used to it, I’d recommend spring (Sept-Nov), the later into Spring the more its swimming weather (though we’re over 20 degrees C for all of Spring, most people consider that warm enough to swim).

Think of what you’d like to get out of each country, and plan accordingly.

If you want to ski in NZ, go during the ski season then pop over to Australia to catch the beginning of Spring.

Or see the start of Summer in Australia then head over the ditch for some NZ thrills.

PS. there are wineries all through SA, Victoria and NSW. Its best to work out where you’ll be based from (i.e. taking a few extra days before/after flying from/into Sydney). Check out this website http://www.ozwinetours.com/ (though its still being developed and doesn’t include NSW wineries just yet…)
    So for NSW, check this link http://www.winecountry.com.au/ on the Hunter Valley (a few hours north of Sydney)

• 22 Nov 2007 PH_girl1977 said

Default_avatar

I did the Scenic Southern (NZ) in September and it was starting to get warmer… The temperatures on the Southern Island were still close to zero degrees since it was late winter in the most southern parts and Milford Sound.

Dress in layers and you’ll be fine.

For OZ, I went in September to the Outback and the temperatures were already over 30 C then… Hot for a Northern European. ;-)

Greets,

Päivi

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.