Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Any Ireland/UK questions just ask...

17 Feb 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar
Hey guys,

I noticed lots of posts about doing UK and Ireland tours. I've always got good feedback on this site to my questions, so if anyone has any questions about UK and Ireland just ask, I'll try to help, I live in Ireland and have been all round the UK.

Michael.
  • 18 Feb 2009 Rhiannon said

Default_avatar

Hi do you have any idea on the weather and what to pack for April?? Thanks for any help

• 18 Feb 2009 Brittney said

Default_avatar

hi! i had the same question but for late june. i will be taking this tour and then the london to athens tour afterward, and am hoping that i wont have to pack two totally different wardrobes, haha.
    Any input would be great!! thanks!!Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Feb 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar

April can be iffy… I’d say bring a hoodie, cause there is always a good chance of rain. Though we do get slightly warmer around the end of April and into May, you should bring a good coat too, because it will be pretty cold.

Mid to late June is my favourite time of year here, it seems to be when there is least rain. Temp might get up to 18 C, which is good for us! I’d still say bring 1 top with a hood cause you can never tell over here. Brittney I think if you pack for your London to Athens tour June/July it will be very warm, especially in Greece, just add a jacket with a hood or a coat, plus a pair of trousers for ireland (save the shorts for mainland Europe!) and you’ll be fine.

Hope this helps, any other questions just ask. It will be cold and expect rain at least 1 day, but very pretty and green and spring…

• 23 Feb 2009 Brittney said

Default_avatar

Thanks so much for your help!
    If there are any other useful tips you can think of that’d be great!
    i am so excited to come there! and i’m happy that i picked a good time of year Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Feb 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar

Some general tips…

Southern Ireland is the Euro, northern ireland like the uk is pound, if you plan to travel outside of the tour. Getting money changed is really easy, as is getting between the 2, as there isn’t really a border these days.

Dress code – here is pretty casual when going to the typical Irish bar, but if you want to go to clubs either here or in England, it’s smart casual. Most places are shoes and jeans for guys, basically no trainers or tracksuit bottoms.

Money – Ireland and the UK go for the quite expensive to live in, cheap to visit category. Alcohol, nights out and food are cheap, and healthy which is good if you’re travelling, though shopping etc would be quite expensive.

It is a very unique island, I think if you are travelling here for the 8 days with contiki, if you spend another week here you would have seen pretty much all of Ireland, it’s that small! It’s a very interesting place, you’ll love it!

• 26 Feb 2009 Dani said

Default_avatar

I was wondering where the best shopping in Ireland and England are, both for souvenirs and otherwise. Some people are suggesting 100 Euros a day…if things are cheap like you’re saying, what typically costs the most that we should be aware of, other than shopping?

Thanks! I’m so excited for this trip! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 1 Mar 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar

Hi Dani,

There’s lots of great places to shop. I don’t know how the Aus $ is, but you’d be best doing most of your shopping in Northern Ireland / England / Scotland / Wales. The pound is weak and the euro is expensive these days, so shopping in Ireland might be a little expensive. Good places to shop here are Dublin and Belfast, both have typical city styles, lots of big name shops, including loads of new places in Belfast.

Best place I’ve shopped in UK is Manchester, they have a “mall” called the trafford center that’s huge and has at least 1 of everything! London is a bit more expensive but could work out well because of the low pound.

For those travelling through europe, I think the UK and Ireland are cool place to clothes shop, I think we’ve got good trends… but mainland european countries do better souveniers…

Michael

• 25 Mar 2009 liz said

Default_avatar

hey i have just a quick question about what type of bag to take with me.
    handbag or backpack?
    i dont want to be carring a lot of stuff but dont want my backpack to easy to steal.
    help?
    also what is the weather like in uk around August? when you say its hot is that like 20degreas – cause im from australia and our hot is like 40 degreas.
    if you could shead some light on this for me that would be great.
    thanks

• 30 Mar 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar

Hi Liz,

I’d bring a pull along suitcase (1 with a handle) and a backpack. Think you could probably fit more in a backpack, though if it’s a good size handbag it’s up to you. I’d go for whichever you’d prefer to carry as an overnight bag.

Weather in the UK in August… that’s our hot (like mid 20s) sorry we don’t get 40s over here, in August you might be lucky and see a 30 degrees day if you’re going south, e.g. london. In northern places, like northern ireland/scotland it’s just under 20, though might push up to 25.

Hope this helps

• 12 Apr 2009 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

how much money would you suggest for meals and such?

• 19 May 2009 Amara said

Default_avatar

Hey

Just wondering what clothes r best to take with me in august in ireland? ill b there from the 20-27? also what is the best way to get from the Dublin airport to the Montrose Hotel?
    If someone could help thatll be good thank you.

Amara

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.