Community_discussions_small  

Question

Do you think it's a little odd for an American to go on a USA tour?

21 Dec 2009 Explorer1157488 asked

Default_avatar
Don't get me wrong, traveling overseas would be great, but....
June to late August are my only dates available, plus...

Europe is very expensive during that time, and plus...

...the financial situation has gotten a bit complicated overall, which is why a trip to my own backyard (likely Northern Escape) is whats most attractive now.

I'm worried about looking like the odd-man out touring in his own country.
  • 21 Dec 2009 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

i say go for it! how often do people look to see whats past their back yard not whats in it!!! i plan on one day travelling around my own country and seeing its sites – australia is huge.
    but first i’m doing the trip i’ve wanted to do since i was young, hence why i’m going to america!

• 23 Dec 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I did a US tour a couple years ago, there was another American on the tour too. I don’t think it’s that odd. I have an American contiki friend who also did a US tour and loved it. I found my US tour had a more diverse group of people and enjoy it, plus I didn’t have to worry about exchanging money or cell phone issues.

• 27 Dec 2009 NCStateAlum said

Default_avatar

I actually did the Wild Western this summer. I live in the Southeast. I was the only American on the tour besides the TM and I actually had a great time. It felt a bit like being in a foreign country since I was surrounded by Aussies haha

I figured I hadn’t been to the West coast and it was cheaper and easier (as mentioned no money exchange needed and could just use my cell phone, plus no language barrier).

• 13 Jan 2010 Birdie said

Default_avatar

I think it’s awesome! I’m a South African and am busy exploring my country tourist style as well :-)

• 18 Jan 2010 sanrionjb said

sanrionjb

I don’t think it’s odd at all. I’m from the northeast and did the Northern Escape. I was one of 3 Americans on the tour.

• 20 Jan 2010 Where We Going? said

Where We Going?

I think it is great to play tourist in the country you live in. I play tourist in the city I live in all the time (Chicago…if anyone ever needs a guide let me know!). Just because you live somewhere doesn’t mean you actually “see” it. I mean I live in the US but I haven’t seen New York so I don’t find it weird to do a New York trip. The beauty of the site is to go with people your age-ish and to have fun. I could go on my own but what fun is that?

So I say definately do it!

• 21 Jan 2010 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

I agree with the above poster. I’m from NY and had never traveled to California and saw the Cali Highlights trip as the perfect first step into the Contiki world. My fellow tourmates were very welcoming, they had lots of questions about the American culture and I made some very good friends that I still travel with today.

• 6 Feb 2010 gig08 said

gig08

I’m from Canada and have done a few Contiki’s in the US over the past few years. There were two American’s on the LA to the Bay tour I did. I agree with the above posts, go, and you will have a blast! I lived in the Rockies (Jasper-where a Contiki tour actually stops) for years and didn’t even do all of the ‘touristy’ things that were in my backyard…take advantage of the opportunity when you have it!

• 22 Feb 2010 Kim said

Default_avatar

I’m wondering the same thing. But from reading this I guess it’s not that weird. I really want to see the Southwest and this is the only way that I can do it. I’m in the middle of figuring out a good date to book the Southern Adventure. Good Luck!

• 24 Feb 2010 ryaneco said

Default_avatar

Not at all; I did a North by North East Tour in 2007 and there was a guy from Seattle on that tour! Although that was a combination of USA and Canada!

I have travelled my own country pleanty of times and seen some great things. I have never done a contiki in Australia but I have been around here; you should see the nation that you live in IMO.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.