Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Security in US Airports

5 Sep 2008 Christine said

Christine
Hi everyone.

I've heard that the security at US aiports is really tight (which is understandable) and your not allowed to put locks on your suitcase. Is this true?
  • 5 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Hi, you can put locks on your bags but they have to be the ones that can be unlocked by US security, they have a master key or something. I’ve seen the locks for sale here in New Zealand and they have been talked about on other posts by Australians so I guess you can get them in Os too.

• 5 Sep 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
  • 6 Sep 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Even TSA approved locks are no guarantee. My mother actually paid the money to get the right TSA lock and still the suitcase showed up on the other end with no lock. Damned thieves. Mad<!--graemlin::mad:-->

• 6 Sep 2008 Jess said

Default_avatar

Thats really shocking.
    In australia after all the drug smuggling we were told if your bag looks like it has been tampered with to leave it on the belt and get security and not to touch the bag.
    You would look pretty stupid tho if it was just cos they had removed your lock.
    hmmmm…..

• 6 Sep 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Curtis71:
    Even TSA approved locks are no guarantee. My mother actually paid the money to get the right TSA lock and still the suitcase showed up on the other end with no lock. Damned thieves. Mad<!--graemlin::mad:-->

TSA locks are no safer than regular suitcase locks, they just allow TSA to open it … and hopefully they close it. I’m sure one can easily get a master key floating around in the black market …

- Vic

• 6 Sep 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by ptooma:
    quote:

TSA locks are no safer than regular suitcase locks, they just allow TSA to open it … and hopefully they close it. I’m sure one can easily get a master key floating around in the black market …

- Vic

Oh sheesh – these TSA locks are a joke. I just used a small flathead precision screwdriver to rotate the TSA keyslot and the lock popped open!! (may videos on YouTube too). So if anything, I’d bring 2 locks … a non-TSA for your entire trip and a TSA for flight portion. …

Wonder why TSA ever bothers with keys … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laz72c_ucDU&feature=related

- Vic

• 6 Sep 2008 Anastasia said

Default_avatar

I purposly chose not to purchase a TSA locks for my cases.. the main reason is to avoid others opening it!

another thing you can do is put cable ties on your case this a simple way of knowing if your bag has been tampered with.

• 6 Sep 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by ptooma:
    quote:

- Vic

The whole point about TSA locks is they say your locks won’t get cut off if you use them. But if you’re going to lose the locks all the same, then the argument for using them or even creating them in the first place is gone.

The TSA is just operated by a**holes who become so over-full of themselves when get a small vestige of power that they behave like idiots and terrorize and disrespect passengers who don’t bow down and worship their authority.

• 6 Sep 2008 SthOzLad said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I travelled to the States earlier this year, Being from Australia and hearing about the Chappelle Corby incident I wanted to make sure my luggage was safe. I read forums that they cut locks off or they get stuck in the belt systems at the airport and get ripped off. So I used fluro cable ties on my zips for the airports, that way I could see if they had been cut open. If i’d used a lock it could have been picked or just cut off, so I only used a lock when I left my luggage in my hotel room. The cable ties were always in tact at the other end and it gave me good piece of mind.

Aaron

• 6 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Security is very very tight at all US airports. It’s a part of life if you travel that you lock your suitcase etc If you don’t I think you are insane. I would like to think it is some sort of deterrent. On my recent trip to the states when I arrived in NY one of my TSA locks had either been ripped off or caught on the conveyor belt as the top part of my suitcase’s zip was totally broken and no lock. Lucky this wasn’t the main lock and it is an old suitcase so I wasn’t too concerned.On my first trip to the states 2 years ago I had a note in my luggage saying my bad had been inspected and even though I used a TSA lock they still ripped it off and it wasn’t able to be reused.I would never ever travel anywhere and not lock my bags.I think it is inviting trouble!

• 6 Sep 2008 kylie03 said

Default_avatar

I have a question….. I have a hard shell case and doesn’t have a zip therefor not needing the TSA locks or any other padlock. If my suitcase was to be inspected would they break open my suitcase????

• 6 Sep 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I would suggest not locking your suitcase, if it can’t be opened then they could brake open your suitcase.

I use the TSA locks because they will discourage some criminals looking for an easy target. Plus it helps make sure that the bag stays zippered. I generally don’t check anything that is so valuable that i would be upset if it was lost or stolen.

• 7 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

sorry, don’t know if this is a stupid question or not, I’ve only ever travelled from NZ to Australia..do all bags in the US get opened and checked? I find that quite shocking, I thought they only got checked if say the x-ray machine picked something up. It sounds kind of redundant to be buying locks then if they can be opened so easily…

• 7 Sep 2008 Nyclizzo said

Nyclizzo

They don’t check every single suitcase…only ones with “questionable items”…My suitcase has only been checked once, and that was from the Dominican Republic airport flying back to NY…I personally use the TSA locks for the airport, and I bring a back up set for the way home in case they get clipped off…The airports are looking out for our safety, so if they clip off my $5 lock, its not the end of the world. I use a better lock while in my hotel room though, and put anything valueable into my carry on for the plane…

• 7 Sep 2008 Christine said

Christine

Thank you soooooo much everyone!!!!
    I’m going to purchase those cable ties for the airports and use my own locks for the tours (no idea why I didn’t think of that in the first place).

I’be heard a few stories about locks getting cut by security and one of my locks is attached to my suitcase. I would be pissed if they broke that one.

Thanks again!!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Sep 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by kylie03:
    I have a question….. I have a hard shell case and doesn’t have a zip therefor not needing the TSA locks or any other padlock. If my suitcase was to be inspected would they break open my suitcase????

No, they can still open these ones. I have the same type of suitcase and I’ve seen it roll into the baggage claim with the locking portion completely popped open and nothing else holding it together except the 2 side clips.

• 7 Sep 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

The best thing I find is to use the heavy duty plastic zip ties. Sure you can cut them but they are very hardy. You can get them in the hardware dept of any walmart. I use to use only those before the tsa locks came out. The thing with the TSA locks is that if they opened it with a key a color piece shows on your lock letting you know someone got into your bag. I’ve never had it happen to me but you never know.

• 7 Sep 2008 kylie03 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    No, they can still open these ones. I have the same type of suitcase and I’ve seen it roll into the baggage claim with the locking portion completely popped open and nothing else holding it together except the 2 side clips.

Thanks Curtis. I was kinda worried, thinking how would they get into my case.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion