Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Going out at night!!!

12 Apr 2007 De'ann said

Default_avatar
hhmmmm so when ur going out at night (dinner, clubs, shows etc) do most people take their passports or do u leave them (& wat about excess cash, credit cards) do u leave them in ur hotel safe or locked in your suitcase or keep it on u????
  • 12 Apr 2007 Hammo said

Default_avatar

Yeah i’m wondering the same thing, because if its a hot night & im going out, i’ll be wearing a top that would be quite fitting, so a money belt would be more obvious & also more uncomfortable.

• 12 Apr 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Keep in mind that all the pickpockets and crooks will be waiting for you. Especially in a tourist area at night, all the crooks will be at work.

I have never taken my passport with me out onto the street. I do carry ID (my Canadian driver’s license) but carrying around something very valuable like the passport is just asking for trouble. Even with cash I would keep 90% of it in a special little pouch in the bottom of my backpack, so if my wallet got stolen I would lose minimal money.

The passport should remain locked in your suitcase in the hotel.

• 12 Apr 2007 Toronto Girls said

Default_avatar

I agree with leaving all valuables (i.e. passports, excess cash, credit cards) in your hotel when going out at night. In my past experience clubbing and bar hopping in Greece and Italy I found that they don’t check ID like they do here in Canada……so I wouldn’t take the chance of losing something as valuable as a passport, especially when one may be a little “tipsy” by the end of the night Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

One thing you may want to bring is a student ID from college or university, as many clubs give discounts or even free admission to students on certain nights (i also found this to be true at various museums)…..even if you’ve recently graduated…nobody really checks expiry datesWink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Enjoy your trips all you contikier’s…..still counting down to the June 23rd European Panorama!!

• 12 Apr 2007 Sarah! said

Default_avatar

that all makes sense BUT what if ur on a camping tour?!?!?! seems kinda dogy leaving valuables in a TENT!!!!!!!!!

• 12 Apr 2007 Lilgabri03 said

Default_avatar

What about bringing cameras do the clubs??

• 12 Apr 2007 ~*Alex*~ said

Default_avatar

When i go out at home i always take a camera and phone and things like that. I was worried that i’d lose them, but it seems that no matter how pissed i am, i still make sure i’ve got all my valuables, etc…

I’ll definitley be taking my passport with me…and i’ll just take a small handbag that hangs just under my arm…don’t think people would have an easy job ripping it off me Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Apr 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

You MUST MUST MUST have your passport on you at all times.

If you do happen to get asked for ID, the only thing they will accept is your passport because they have no idea if your student ID card or drivers licence is real or valid (they can’t be expected to know every licence and ID card from around the world).

You need to be smart – going out in Europe is not like going out in your own backyard. Whilst at home you might be right with a tight top and no handbag you can’t really do that in Europe. You’re going to need to be able to carry some kind of small handbag with you so that you can keep ID and important information in it.

If you get lost in the middle of night or stuck, your contiki contact sheet will be your saviour.

If you happen to get into trouble cops are only going to want to see your passport and without that, you’re nothing to them but an illegal immigrant.

If, god forbid, something terrible should happen in town or while you’re out – you’re going to need to be able to prove to authorities that you are who you say you are.

Unfortunately travelling around in 2007 is not like it was in the early 90’s and even late 90’s. Sept 11 changed everything and in light of that we too must change.

Personally, when I went out in both Europe and America I took a decent sized handbag with me and in that I put my wallet, camera & passport. I kept tabs on my surroundings (for my own personal sense of satisfaction) and had no problems at any time with dangerous people or pickpocketers.

I’m all for having a great time and having a few drinks but just be aware that when you step outside a club at 3-4am you’re going to have NO idea where you are or how to get back to where you need to be. It’s not like being at home where you’re aware of taxi ranks and numbers, if you need them. By all means, have a few drinks, have a great time but personally, my best advice would be to NOT get written off and risk putting yourself, and your possessions, in danger.

I also would have to recommend not leaving your things in the hotel…it’s just not safe.

• 13 Apr 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

I did a tour through America last year and one of the guys on the tour left his camera in the hotel while we were in Las Vegas. He came back during the afternoon to find it missing, along with 2 weeks worth of photos!
    I’ll definitely be keeping all my valuables with me

• 13 Apr 2007 daniel86 said

Default_avatar

That is going to be difficult to get around with passport, camera (mine is fairly bulky compared to the new releases of the last 2 years), extra information, wallet etc. I don’t think i have a choice as i don’t want valuable stuff in a tent all day/night…

• 14 Apr 2007 Toronto Girls said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by EmmaY:
    all make sense but i just cant see meself havin a good time n mykonos n ibiza!! with my passport on me… i wanna drink n not worry bout my passport.. but i guess its like home ya just never seem to lose it.. mind u i have a few times…

I can’t speak for Ibiza, but take it from me (a Greek-Canadian who’s partied on the islands before)….when you’re partying in the Greek islands do not take your passport with you (they won’t card you at clubs, so don’t risk having valuables on you – they are more likely to be stolen at a club than in the hotel –-if you are worried about your passport being stolen at the hotel, you can always ask the hotel staff to keep it in their security box – just don’t forget it when you leave!! In most cases, they ask to keep one passport in the safety deposit box until your final day in the hotel when you pay for your stay – but for pre-paid contiki trips i doubt they’ll ask for it).

Enjoy Mykonos…..make sure to party @ PARADISE and SUPER PARADISE beaches by day….and SPACE, PARADISE, MYKONOS BAR by night! You will not regret it Wink<!-graemlin:;)—>

• 14 Apr 2007 Toronto Girls said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sarah!:
    that all makes sense BUT what if ur on a camping tour?!?!?! seems kinda dogy leaving valuables in a TENT!!!!!!!!!

I forgot about the camping trips – i agree that if u r camping, take everything with you!

• 14 Apr 2007 Kat said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Linda28:
    Hi girls, Last tour i was on i took my money and passport etc. Because of clothing a money belt was obvious, so i picked up a small leather clutch that wraps aroud your wrist and you hold the purse part in your hand. Sound like a hassle but it was extremely easy and i had complete contact with it at all times. I also had photocopies of my passport in my luggage (once in rome had my passport stolen- easy to get replacement at embassy then but a real hassle). Just be aware, for aussie chick purses are available from sportsgirl.

those purse/clutches are also available from Strandbags (where i got mine) Kmart & Target and most places which sell bags/purses – they seem to have come into fashion a little bit here in the west.

• 14 Apr 2007 Eden86 said

Default_avatar

i thought this would be a safe option, but maybe n ot?

taking wallet, passport etc with you in handbag during the day and at night if you worry its gonna get lost, lock it up in your bag in your locker in the hostel? would this not be safe?
    because its so expensive to take cash out over there, i plan on taking my whole amount of spending money out in one go, so will be carrying it with me for the whole tour… wouldnt it be best to leave this extra cash, passport, credit cards etc all locked up when you go out?

• 14 Apr 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eden86:
    taking wallet, passport etc with you in handbag during the day and at night if you worry its gonna get lost, lock it up in your bag in your locker in the hostel? would this not be safe?
    because its so expensive to take cash out over there, i plan on taking my whole amount of spending money out in one go, so will be carrying it with me for the whole tour… wouldnt it be best to leave this extra cash, passport, credit cards etc all locked up when you go out?

This has come up before… even the US Department of State recommends that you keep your passport and valuables in the hotel safe. And you’d think those valuables would be safer that way. But consider:

1. Thefts from hotel rooms by hotel employees are not unheard of. At least a few of the hotel employees can open all safes and reset the combos as part of their jobs.

2. If you get arrested or in any kind of trouble, then the only kind of ID accepted by the police is your passport. The passport in your hotel safe will do you no good and you’ll be no better than an illegal immigrant.

3. When using a credit cards, some shops will insist upon seeing your passport ID.

As such, it’s reasonable to argue that the passport should be kept on your person at all times.

For cash, you could argue it either way. I would divide up cash and put 10% in my wallet, and then most of the rest in my pouchsafe bag along with the passport. Probably some emergency cash would be in my backpack.

• 14 Apr 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eden86:
    because its so expensive to take cash out over there, i plan on taking my whole amount of spending money out in one go, so will be carrying it with me for the whole tour…

most people reccommend taking out enough money for 3-4 days at a time. you might be risking it having all that money in cash with no back up if something was to go wrong. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Apr 2007 Eden86 said

Default_avatar

what about hostels? is it safe to leave your gear locked with your own padlock in their lockers? say hidden somewhere in your backpack?

• 14 Apr 2007 ckat said

Default_avatar

I have to agree with “Toronto Girls”. I did the Greek Island Hopping tour in September and never once took my passport with me. It was always locked in the safe in my room as was the case with everyone on our tour. Our TM was the one who made this suggestion. We never got carded. The TM’s are well known at all of the places you go as they are there every 2 weeks with a new group. They know Contiki tours have to be over 18 so no problem!

I also took my camera to the bar every night as did alot of the others in our group. Nobody had any problems. Everyone looks out for each other. These are the best friends you’ll likely ever have!

Have fun and don’t worry so much!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion