Best Voltage Converter??

23 Nov 2009 Explorer1156802 asked

Hey everyone,<BR><BR>I'm going on the Winter Wanderer tour on Feb 6. I'm coming from the US and would like to know what kind of converter is best?? I need something that can safely convert my laptop, camera charger, and hair flat iron. Any suggestions??<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Kristal
  • 23 Nov 2009 ryan_m said


    all you need is an adapter. no voltage converter.

  • 30 Nov 2009 Dara Bee said


    you WILL need a voltage converter as you’re going up to a higher power source. If you dont have one it could fizz out your electricals. I’m still researching voltage converters myself as I’m from Aus and am going to America in June.

  • 4 Jan 2010 ParkAvePrincess said


    hey dara bee, i went to america last year and didnt need a convertor. You just need USA adaptor/power plug to plug in the wall then. I took a travel hairdryer which had 2 different heat settings and GHD straightner charged my phone and camera and it was fine.Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

  • 4 Jan 2010 JayDee said


    Check the voltage inputs of the items you want to take, if the item says on it that it takes 110-230V youn only need a plug converter, if it says 110v only then you would need a voltage converter. This is if you are coming from the USA to europe.

  • 9 Jan 2010 Dara Bee said


    When you go down in volts, say from Europe or Aus to America you don’t need a voltage converter, things will just take longer to charge/heat up etc.or so I’ve been told!!And it seems ParkAvePrincess confirms this. However, when you’re from America and the voltage goes up you’re likely to damage your electrical goods as they arent used to the power current.

  • 11 Jan 2010 Katie said


    When i went from Australia to Europe i didnt need a converter. Just an adaptor

  • 11 Jan 2010 Katie said


    oh and i also went to America (from Australia) with laptops and everything and didnt converters, again just adaptors

  • 27 Jan 2010 Amy Cheverton said


    Hi there
    im going on the european encounter on the 23rd of june 2010 im from australia what is the best apdaptor or converter to buy?

  • 8 Mar 2010 Wez said


    Hey all,

    Does the whole of Europe use the same 2 prong European adapter or are there some countries that stray from this?


  • 20 Jul 2010 rosie said


    sorry this might seem like a stupid question but what do you mean by an adapter?

  • 20 Jul 2010 AstroPhys said


    You will need an adapter for the actual plug, to change from your home country to the european or UK style prongs that go into the electrical outlet.

    The converter will only be needed for the hair flat iron. Most all electronic devices are dual voltage and will only need an adapter to fit into the electrical outlet.

    When using something like a hair flat iron I would recommend not running it for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time.



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.