Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to do in NY?

7 Jan 2008 Maria23 asked

Maria23
I'm planning on taking the Best of USA and New York, New Year.

BUT Best of USA ends on the morning of 26 December 08, (kicking off the tour in LA, then to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and ending in New York).

and New York, New Year begins on 30 December 08.

I'm not too sure what to do in between those days. I'm trying to find another tour to go on, but doesn't seem like there are any in the area.

I'm an inexperienced traveller, and I'll be alone at that stage (my friends are flying back home on 26 December).

Should i stay in NY? But I'm thinking of touring the surrounding states (by myself)... but i'm unsure of where to go.

Can anyone helps?
  • 8 Jan 2008 SthOzLad said

Default_avatar

Matty,

Can you give us some info on catching a train or a bus to Boston or Washington. Are these cities close enough to be able to catch a bus or train, say in early morning, see the city then catch a train or bus back to NYC in the late afternoon? What are some reputable bus companies to look for to take these trips.

Thanks mate,

Aaron

• 8 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I went to DC last year, found it was actually cheaper to fly from NYC then to take Amtrak.

But Philly is only a 2 hour bus ride, so that might be easier as a day trip, though you might want to make it an overnight trip.

• 9 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

HOORAY!

but cold huh? hmmm… yes u’d kinda guess with all that snow on the ground.

what should i bring in terms of clothing? i’m actually really worried about getting cold and wet feet!

i’ll be coming off a hawaii stopover, and from LA and Las Vegas, so would it be best to buy stuff in NY so i don’t have to lug it round with me?

and is it best to bring those MASSIVE backpacker backpacks? or are the luggage-on-wheels just as fine too?

sorry bout all the questions… i’m very much a virgin-traveller :\

• 9 Jan 2008 cherry_elle said

Default_avatar

Bring an equal amount of shorts and jeans. Tennis shoes will be fine mostly, unless you go clubbing. Most of the streets will be plowed, but if you wear sandals you should be fine… just don’t do a lot of walking. Ballet flats would be ideal, because they cover your feet mostly. Bring a warm jacket or buy one along the way. Should start getting colder once your hit Colorado and get into the Rockies. Layering is always a good idea. You can always take off some layers if you get hot. I guarantee your feet will get wet no matter want you do, but just stick up by the heater and wear a nice warm pair of socks.

Most of the hotels in America have elevators, but a few don’t. It all depends, but do some research. You might just need luggage on wheels. Don’t worry about the snow… you’ll be fine. Just layer on the clothes… wear jeans, long sleeved t-shirts, sweaters, and jackets and you’ll be fine.

• 9 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hi Maria23

I am also doing the Best of USA tour that ends on the 26th December, and staying in new york for new years eve

I’m thinking of seeing a bit more of new york and seeing the surrounding states. Or instead maybe niagara falls and the east of canada. I also want to go to Florida, so i guess i have alot of options, but i havent really made up my mind yet

Let me know your plans.
    Kat x

• 10 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

Thanks cherry_elle – only been to the snow once, and they were at the slopes. and i’d be wearing heavy boots on, so not very sexy… especially for walking around in NY Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

and layering sounds good. makes sense especially if ur inside with a nice heater!

• 11 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

Unless there is a blizzard you don’t need a special shoe, and even if there is a lot of snow it disappears quickly in NYC, especially in the touristy areas. they remove it and melt it into the sewer system.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.