Community_discussions_small  

Comment

base backpackers

17 Oct 2009 aussie liz said

Default_avatar
For those doing it on their own...id say dont stay at base, except for Taupo or Queenstown.

This is the pros and cons on each place ive stayed in so far:

christchurch
pros: lockers, bedside table, fridge, good mattresses
cons: very noisy as you can hear doors slamming each time, squishy kinda..old

queenstown
pros: good bar, fridge, good size room, lockers, friendly staff, plenty of computers, new, very central location, reading lights.

cons: loos are one per room (8 beds) but the loo only has room for the loo and a sanitary bin, and the shower is the same size and you have to press the button to get the water going and it only lasts like 20secs at most so very annoying for washing hair.

wellington
pros: hm not many... bed lockers...

cons: only got enough room to put your bag and thats it...showers are squishy...too large and old room...**** really

taupo
pros: overlooking lake, only 4 beds in sanctuary rooms, own bathroom, nice staff, reading lights on each bed, good head space for those on lower bunk..

cons: no lockers or fridge or enough computers,

Taupo is definatley the best one!

Rotorua:
pros: very close to a geothermal park, got a thermal pool (but dont dive in, its very hot, and on pale skin you can see where it like 'burns' you... but its nice), hm good net, rooms are spacious

cons: old crappy building no lift, the female dorm is 12 beds (4 in one section and 8 in the other) and only 1 shower and loo....no lockers, really old heaters..used by magic and kiwi experience (but this was good coz ive made some friends when i found out they were going to the maori dinner that i was going to)
basically the worst one...and noisy coz of the stupid bar...

not looking forward to staying in the ACB one as thats even worse apparently....am trying to get my travel agent to change it for me..

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.