Community_discussions_small  

Question

What are the trips like?

5 Sep 2007 princessjkw asked

Default_avatar
I found that the trips were more about drinking, partying, and hooking up then about the actual locations. I wanted to see the sights and didn't care about drinking, but the other members of the trip weren't respectful. I would say go to the trips if you're wanting to party and have a good time. if you're all about the sights then maybe find another travel service.
  • 1 Oct 2007 Charisse Roza said

Default_avatar

Hey Princessjkw,
    I would love to know which trip you went on!
    It seems as though you didn’t have the best experience on your Contiki, which really sucks, and I’m sorry to hear that.
    I agree though with Mia and Praha – this trip is what you make of it…if you go into it thinking that it’s going to be all parties, it may or may not be, but you are giving yourself expectations, just like if you go into it thinking it’s going to be very educational and you’ll be in museums and at the symphony every night – you’ve set expectations.
    my suggestion, go on anothe Contiki, go by yourself and don’t have any expectations…do the optionals, and make it clear to your roommate that you don’t want to party every night, and try to find one who is like you…at the same time, you’re in Europe – you don’t need to go crazy, but you have to understand that everyone goes there with a different idea of what their trip will entail.
    Good luck and I hope you try again!!!

• 11 Oct 2007 Alex M said

Default_avatar

I, you say contiki is good for the organization etc.. and that’s what you didn’t like about it then why did you choose them? Thats generally what a TOUR company is suppose to do!

I have also been to europe a few times and travelled with different tour companies i,e contiki topdeck and busabout. I would have to disagree about the party and immaturity,I mean your gona get that anywhere you go people pay good amounts of money to travel to europe every year and yes they want a good time! (But you dont have to do anything you dont want to!)

I did a topdeck tour first when i was 19 then contiki at 21 and busabout 22 and another contiki this year I diffinetly prefer contiki as the organised tours. Thats why i’ve chosen them again. Busabout is different to contiki and topdeck so you cant make a direct comparison, princess and I you both sould have chosen busabout! if you prefer to travel more independently!

To anyone considering contiki, remember contiki hasn’t been in the business for a long time for no reason! There are always going to be good and bad reveiws but in general you’ll have a good time regardless i mean your in EUROPE!

• 13 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiaGator:
    I dunno what I’m gonna do in 3 years when I turn 35!

You’ll have 365 days to do a whole buncha more Contikis before #36 roll your way … Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 13 Oct 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I just turned 35 and did my first contiki and agree with what Mia said. Some of the “kids” partied but I did my own thing.. I still hung out with the group and did stuff with other people which was the nice thing about going alone. One day i didn’t do the vatican with them because I’d already done it so I went on a day trip to Assisi which was awesome. If you are looking for a party atmosphere you will find it. But as said earlier its all what you make of it. I don’t really drink or party but I had fun and was able to keep up with the youngins. Its not how old you are but how young/old you feel that day.

If you don’t want to do something the group is doing just tell your tm and its all good. You can just meet them the next am at breakfast. Our group had more of a mature group feeling about it and a lot of people did stuff on their own or in smaller groups. The fun thing to do is not stick with one group of people like the high school click attitude but to hop around to groups and meet everyone in the group. I had dinner with different people almost every night it was nice.

It would be nice if princess would let us know what tour she took. I took a getaway for more free time with was awesome.

• 14 Nov 2007 sharpec said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by princessjkw:
    I found that the trips were more about drinking, partying, and hooking up then about the actual locations. I wanted to see the sights and didn’t care about drinking, but the other members of the trip weren’t respectful. I would say go to the trips if you’re wanting to party and have a good time. if you’re all about the sights then maybe find another travel service.

I have to say…. totally not correct. Im sorry if some ppl on your tour were rude, but I have to adamently argue that Contiki is amazingly well planned out. You do and see SOOOO much in so little time.
    You always have the choice at night whether to go out with the “partiers” or not. Some nights we did…. sometimes we didn’t. No pressure either way.

Your trip is what you make it.

• 15 Nov 2007 LittleMiss said

LittleMiss
    quote:

eating boiled chicken, bowls of lettuce and peaches for dinner (true story! our meal in la spezia, italy)

what no way!!!

• 23 Nov 2007 Explorer1080221 said

Default_avatar

Well its sooo great to hear all these great things about the tours. I’m going over there for the first time, alone. I think i’ll be just fine!! Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 9 Jul 2008 Jen said

Default_avatar

So, I’m going to have to agree with most of the negative stuff being said about Contiki, HOWEVER, I still had a great time on the tour. A lot of times, I’d be trying to sleep and I’d get woken up by the partiers in the hallways. We would ask them nicely several times to be quiet, and even had our tour manager speak to the group about it, but nothing improved. The worst was in the Contiki special stopovers in the Beaujolais wine region and in Hopfgarten, Austria. It’s especially annoying because you want to get a good nights’ sleep before sightseeing the next day. I like to have fun… but not get smashed, and actually remember Europe.
    I would still recommend Contiki to those who have never travelled and would like to meet fantastic people from all around the world. You see and do quite a bit on the tours, and it’s a lot of fun. My tour manager and driver were so so so amazing, and I liked the people in my group a lot. Just don’t plan on sleeping much and you’ll be fine Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 17 Jul 2008 GatorBrett1 said

GatorBrett1

I did the 8 day Berlin/Prague tour recently, and I was surprised that more partying did not occur. Don’t get me wrong, it was not like people sat in hotels and did nothing, but it wasn’t the drunk-fest that is portrayed on Contiki. Most people went out, had a couple drinks (definitely not all), and had fun.

Of course it all depends on the trip. From what I see, longer trips usually mean more partying. Also, trips to Greek Islands or Ibiza I would assume to have more partying. I bet people who do a trip to Scandinavia party less than in Greece.

Regardless, the decision is ultimately up to you. Nobody is going to force you to consume alcohol, though it does enhance the experience Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 19 Jul 2008 Jen said

Default_avatar

So here’s my theory… I’d have to agree that on the longer tours, you get more partying. For one, those on longer tours typically have more money. I went on the 37 day European Adventurer, and in my tour, I found that the people whose parents paid for the trip were less mature and drank their faces off. Not to stereotype or anything; that’s just generally what the case was. Also, naturally, if you’re on a longer tour, you have more time to soak up the sites and culture, whereas on a shorter tour people are more interested in packing as much as they can in – therefore would like to sleep at night and feel rested to sightsee during the day. At least, that’s the impression I got when talking to those from other tours staying at the same sites as we were.

• 30 Jul 2008 toxickitten said

Default_avatar

I think there is good and bad stuff, but I think what will determine how great or crappy your trip was will be based on your attitude. If you go with a negative attitude you probably won’t have a great time. I’m going soon and am super excited, I don’t really drink and definitely don’t want to waste my money on it but I know there will be people getting super-smashed I’ll just laugh at them the next day when they feel like a$$.

• 7 Aug 2008 Nyclizzo said

Nyclizzo

Now I had the checklist that would scare off most TM’s…the list of everything I wanted to see and do

Benji…don’t the tour managers have an itiniary of what we will be seeing/doing? I’m hoping to not have to research anything…I’ll drive myself nuts!!

• 14 Dec 2011 Reka803 said

Reka803

Great thread. I had it happen on the Spanish Spree group people drunk 24/7 and partying and the people were unfriendly, rude and disrespecful. I think there was some drug use too. Do the Simply Italy it is a 360 turnaround when it comes to people, sites, and cities. I went to Italy twice this year and had an amazing time again and met some wonderful people on both tours, respectful and friendly and down to earth. We partied too and drank but it was not taken overboard. Spain is also very expensive and I know out TM was seriously discipling people like a father. Italy is Simply Perfect, i want to go to Greece now I saw above thread about partying all the time there so I am hesitant anyone can give me some advice on the people in Greece or any other tours in Europe that is not just party and drink 24/7, many thanks!!! :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.