Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.

Auckland & Christchurch hostels

18 Aug 2008 ashlie said

Hi, <BR>Got my tour booked for November. Staying in Auckland for 5 nights, and christchurch about 4 nights before and after my tour. Can anyone recommend good hostels? I'm on a budget yet want a central location.<BR>Thanks!
  • Read the responses 5 responses so far
  • 18 Aug 2008 ptooma said

* ACB Base (largest hostel in all of NZ – many available services)
    * Base Auckland

* Base Christchurch

However, do yourself a favour and stay one night at Hotel So – so friggin amazing and fairly inexpensive too !!!

- Vic

• 22 Aug 2008 ashlie said

thanks ptooma,
    I booked into ACB base. I was looking at that one before I made the post. Just wanted to confirm with others what they thought. Havent booked c/church yet. Still have plenty of time. Yes, I hear Hotel So is good. Might stay there just on my last night before I head home. Thats if money permits. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Sep 2008 aussie liz said

There is only one Base in Auckland according to the site. Though i swear my Lonely Planet guide says there are 2.

Im going to book in to Base for Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland. Wish they had a pass thing like if you are going over the country you can buy a certain number of nights together discounted rate. I have to pay for 12 nights…..along with my tours.

• 6 Sep 2008 ptooma said

The X-Base on 16 Fort Street is now operated by Nomad Hostels

I’ve stayed at both locations and both are similar.

- Vic

• 7 Sep 2008 ashlie said

Hi Liz,
    Yeah i thought there were two as well. I booked for ACB. But I know there is also just a Base Backpackers as well as Auckland Central Base Backpackers. (both in Auckland that is). Yes it would be good for a discount thing, I managed to do that with some Europe hostels. But I suppose in the end with Base you know what you are getting!

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.