Community_discussions_small  

Question

Airline Choices ??

20 Oct 2010 Kayman101 asked

Kayman101
Hi Guys n Girls,
Wondering if anyone had any advice on which airline to travel to the US with ??. Im doing the california highlights tours the 12th april 2011 and staying with family 10 days beforehand. Looking at booking flights in 2 weeks but havent got a clue who to fly with. Any help and advice would be grealy appreciated.

Cheer Chris = D
  • 20 Oct 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

Where are you travelling from? I used Air New Zealand. From Auckland to LAX and I enjoyed flying with them. Modern airplanes with individual TVs and happy staff. I would not recommend any American airlines. They use old planes, they have ripped seats, poor ventilation for the washroom. I used Continental from Toronto to Hawaii and never flying American again.

• 20 Oct 2010 Explorer1082409 said

Default_avatar

I travelled Sydney to LA with V Australia and they were awesome, highly recommend them, and they are pretty cheap as well Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

as for travel within the US, they are all pretty much the same, i just book domestic flights based on the price, just take into account that baggage is not included and you will need to pay at the airport – $25 a bag, and be careful with weight limits as they are not lenient if you are over – i got charged $50 for being 4 pounds over.

• 21 Oct 2010 Kayman101 said

Kayman101

Im going from sydney to LA and then domestic to pasco then back from la to sydney again. Thanks for all your help guys. I managed to get some quotes today and V Australia sounded like a good idea for only $1665 for both international and all domestic flights. I think im finally on my way to making a choice haha thanks to everyone = D

• 22 Oct 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Not all US airlines are bad. Jetblue and Southwest don’t charge for luggage. Jetblue and Virgin America have TV’s in all seatbacks and a new fleet of planes. Southwest does not offer pre-assigned seating, you need to check-in early and then you get a boarding group, the better your group the better the seat – it’s first come first serve. I’ve never flown them, but I hear boarding is well organized and many people like Southwest. Jetblue and Virgin America are also considered to be very good.

The major airlines are generally pretty good, but not great. None are like flying internationally, their own domestic products don’t match their international products. Those would be Continental, United, US Air, American, and Delta. But the product you get will vary a lot depending on the route you fly. NY – LA or NY – SF have better products. But LA – El Paso is not going to be one of the better products.

Airlines I wouldn’t fly – Spirit.

• 24 Oct 2010 Natalie said

Natalie

What about hawaiin airlines are they any good

• 25 Oct 2010 nik_noodle said

nik_noodle

I’m flying with Hawaiian next year…I’m interested to hear what anyone has to say. Don’t have many options…need to stop at Hawaii on the way back and it’s either QANTAS or Hawaiian.

• 25 Oct 2010 Natalie said

Natalie

hey nik,

what time are u going to be in hawaii in going to be their 6th of august till the 10th of august

natalie

• 28 Oct 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve never flown Hawaiian, but I saw on the news that they’re the best rated by consumers in the US. 90% on time performance, but with Hawaii as your primary destination, you should have a 90% on time performance.
    Qantas is a 4 star airline and Hawaiian is a 3 star. So for the same price I would go with Qantas.

http://www.airlinequality.com/

• 7 Nov 2010 em88 said

em88

hey guys
    I’ve just returned from the states, been there 2 months. I flew hawaiian airlines from syd-la and from hawaii to sydney and they were fantastic! great service, good food (and im very fussy) I never had any problems with bags or anything. So i’d go with hawaiian airlines, but make sure you check what day your looking at going because they only fly out and arrive on certain days Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Hope this helped Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.