Community_discussions_small  

Comment

NEED CAMERA ADVICE

8 Aug 2009 Discoverme said

Default_avatar
I love my DSLR but am debating bringing my point and shoot instead for convenience. I am completely torn as to whether I want to live with the disappointment of not being able to take great shots with it over the convenience of the point and shoot. HELP!
  • 9 Aug 2009 Capt_Crash said

Capt_Crash

i feel your pain Discoverme…

i’m in exactly the same position, and this is what i have decided-

I’m taking my DSLR with me, and i grabbed a Canon IXUS 100IS point n shoot to take also.

I’m not going to want to take me DSLR with me out on the town at night, for example, but i am going to want it at other times, for some specific shots.. Its always with me when i’m at home (or close by- pretty much lives in my car so its always at hand), it would kill me to leave it at home, so i decided to go both ways ;-) .. its limiting myself to 2 lenses to take that is going to be the bigger issue!

• 12 Aug 2009 knights988 said

Default_avatar

I would definitely recommend that you take both your DSLR and point and shot cameras.

I did a few years back. just leave your DSLR at the hotel and lock it in your bag at night. Some of my best and funniest shots taken on the tour were when I had my point and shoot camera out on the town. I also passed it around for people to use at night as a few people didn’t want to bring there camera out and sometimes I was a bit shaky after a few drinks. HAHA

So defiantly take both cameras.

• 16 Aug 2009 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

I would have to agree with knights988. I took my DSLR which was approx. 3 lbs but the pictures turned out beautiful. And i had a p&s for a back up. which turned out great for going out at night.

• 16 Aug 2009 Kevin said

Kevin

Yeah I’m debating the whole DSLR or P&S and will likely go dual. Now I just need to figure out lenses… sigh…

• 18 Aug 2009 Explorer1138735 said

Default_avatar

i had this issue too… but the thought of being in europe and not having my slr was too painfull, so i am taking it. I know i will regret it if i dont!!!!

• 25 Aug 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

Do not leave your SLR. I just got back from Egypt and got some amazing shots with my SLR. I brought that AND two point and shoots as well. Bring them all!

• 25 Aug 2009 Darren said

Default_avatar

I just got back from a European Highlights trip and I was originally planning to leave my DSLR at home but decided to take it at the last minute. I’m really glad I had it. I would’ve been seriously upset if I had’ve left it back home.

• 27 Aug 2009 daniball said

daniball

i’m doing the winter wanderer for a month in late october and will likely bring both my dslr and p&s with me.

i’m on a superior (all hotels) tour and looking for a general concensus about hotel security and vibe. my concern is leaving my dslr in my room at night while going out; i’ve heard a few shady things about european hotels and it not being a good idea to leave your valuables.

i’m thinking i’ll just lock it in my luggage while i’m out. can anyone speak from experience on this?

• 27 Aug 2009 Discoverme said

Default_avatar

I just got back from my European discovery trip yesterday and I brought my DSLR and point and shoot and am glad I did. I decided to downsize my bag and only bring my 18-200 lens … on future trips I will bring my regular bag and all my lenses! Some rooms had safes so I would lock it up and the ones that didn’t I would just lock it in my luggage in my room!

If you love taking pics bring it! And if you are debating buying a wide angle like me … DO IT … there is no other way to go and I wish that I had just spent the money to do it!

• 20 Apr 2014 Kevin said

Kevin

Yes, after traveling I found that I manly used my 12-24mm lens for every shot as streets are narrow etc.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion