Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Big Apple Explorer May 29 2007

25 Sep 2006 TigerKat said

Default_avatar
Hi all, my name is Katherine, I'm 23 and live in Adelaide, South Australia.
I will be travelling from LA to NY to do the Big Apple Explorer tour on May 29 2007 and just wondering if anyone out there will be doing the same tour that I can meet up with.
  • 4 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

Hi again, well that was the tricky bit I wasnt sure about. I was also thinking of a back pack but then my valuables (ie passport, cash etc) are at risk of being pinched behind my back without me knowing so Ive looked around and found these handbags (kind of like a tote or hobo style) and the longer straps allow you to put it across your shoulders but still have the bag section by your waist, plus they sometimes come with smaller straps for when we go out and I just need a hand or shoulder bag.
    As long as I have something that’s not too obvious im a tourist and its safe for me to carry all my valuables around all the time, then Im happy. Its now just a matter of finding something!

• 5 Mar 2007 Gez said

Default_avatar

Hi all,

My name is Gerri and i will also be doing this tour with my brother Ryan. We also will be doing the Grand Southern tour before this one and i have noticed a few people on this tour will be doing the Grand Southern, which is great Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    I have done quiet abit of travelling myself and this will be my 5th contiki that i have done. I have noticed a few of you have mentioned backpacks and handbags. I will be taking 1 big bigpack – not suitcase(i have learnt my lesson from previous contiki’s that a suticase is too hard to manage, but that may be different here because it is hotels and not camp sites and shalets), a medium size bag that straps over your shoulder which sits on the side in front of you ( that will be my day bag) and i will also be taking a dressy handbag when we head out.
    If you have any questions or want to have a chat, you can email me at gerri1980@hotmail.com or on this forum.

Looking forward to meeting you all Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Gerri

P.S you should expect your contiki packs very soon. It usually is a month before you leave.

• 6 Mar 2007 Gez said

Default_avatar

Hi Abbey,

I am leaving perth on the 27th April and going to Hawaii first and then having 3 days in Beverly Hills and then staying 2 nights in Anaheim, contiki hotel before the tour starts. Looking around the 3rd of May at the Contiki hotel. When do you arrive?

Getting pretty excited now? What about yourself?

• 6 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Welcome Gerri, it’s always good to have extra people. I will be joining u on the Grand Southern in New Orleans I’m doing the Eastern Discovery tour proir to this one. How old r u and ur brother? Thanks for the advice about the pack I have brought a back pack for day travel but now I’m not sure what did the other people use on ur tours?
    Only 70 days to go I’m getting over excited can’t wait for the packs!!!!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 6 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

Hi all and welcome Gerri. This is sure turning out to be a packed tour! Cant wait! Only 67 more days, im almost at the 2 month mark! hehe
    Well I’ve been speaking to a friend who has done Europe contiki and she said she brought a suitcase, back pack and handbag. She used the backpack for all necessities and stuff she might need on the plane etc then had her hand bag for daily/night use and left the backpack in the bus.

• 7 Mar 2007 Gez said

Default_avatar

My last contiki i did was a concept tour in Europe, that mean’t campsites and shalets. I did take a suitcase then and regretted it because it becomes so heavy when you are taking it up and down spiral staircases, I found with everyone that had a back pack seemed to not have that problem, but as saying this i have never done hotels before so i assume that it may be easier to take a suitcase if there are elevators. As for myself i will be taking a back pack and my brother is taking a suitcase cause he will need to carry whatever i buy home.

I am 26 but I will be 27 in May and my brother is 23.

I have just had a friend come back from doing a USA contiki and she mentioned to me that we need american locks on our luggage. If we have any other locks they will bolt cut it. Wasn’t to sure if you are all aware of this. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Thanks Gerri i had heard that about the locks does ne1 know where we can buy them? I’m thinkin i might take a back pack and handbag then i can choose while i’m there. Only 68 days 2 go!!!

• 7 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

The sort of locks preferred by customs are the combination locks. There is a place in Adelaide that sells them and they’re only about $25. Any travel/luggage shop should sell them. Just ask for the combination locks. Customs prefer these ones becos they can open them if need be and the lock isnt ruined afterwards.

• 9 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Thanks Kat Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 10 Mar 2007 CesarNYC said

Default_avatar

Hey Everyone,

I am a native New Yorker, born and raised. I’ve done the European Contiki tours but not the North American ones. You guy are going to have a great time, NYC is an amazing place. It sounds kind of silly but I envy people who get to experience New York City for the first time, I will never experience it so you are lucky.

I’m not sure how much free time you will have but here are a few tips on things to do:

First get yourself a metrocard and learn the subway system, it really is the best way to get around town, even the mayor uses the subway. Most of the tour will probably be in Manhattan but if you get a chance check out Brooklyn. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is awesome and then if you have time a trip to Coney Island for a ride on the cyclone and a hot dog at Nathans. A trip to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx is also a cool side trip, watching a Yankee game is really a fun experience. Taking a ride on the Staten Island ferry is also really cool, you get great views of lower Manhattan and the Harbor. If you like museums check out the Museum of Modern Art, they just opened in a new building not to long ago and they have some amazing art work there. If you are going to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art the entrance fee is a suggested donation so you can give what you want and they will still give you a button. For cheap eats and cheap knock offs make sure you visit Chinatown, you can get a pile of food for like 3 dollars. In Chinatown you can also bargain down the prices, so never accept the first price they quote. The south Street Seaport is also a nice place to visit but everything there is over priced. Lastly watch out wen crossing the street cars will most likely stop for red lights but people on bicycles, skateboards, and scooters will probably not stop. You will also notice New Yorkers jaywalk like crazy but you should not because you will probably get hit by a car.

I hope some of this info was helpful, if you have any other question, I would be happy to try and answer them for you. My email is cg2017@gmail.com

laterz

Cesar

• 11 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Thanks heaps they are some really cool ideas I will be looking into them Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 13 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

For sure! Thanks a lot for the tips Cesar. Hopefully the tour will be full of great stuff anyway and we wont miss out on much! I cant wait to get to New York and do some shopping! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 24 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

I’m getting so excited and I just read on the contiki site that the sex in the city tour and movie tours are on different days so we should be able to do both!!!!

• 24 Mar 2007 princess19 said

Default_avatar

advice from another native new yorker- if anyone is planning on seeing a musical the most fun way to do it is the rush tickets.. most of the theaters have them (you have to check the specific show to make sure its offered and see when it is offered). You basically go to the theater the day of the show and put your name in a lottery and buy front row seats for $20. Ive seen most of the shows currently running and i have to say no trip to NY is complete without seeing RENT! i saw Wicked last summer and that was amazing as well.

• 27 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Thanks I will look into that

• 28 Mar 2007 TigerKat said

Default_avatar

If we do any retail shopping while in New York, does anyone know what kind of extra taxes we should expect on top of the purchase price?

• 29 Mar 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

No I don’t why do u ask?

• 30 Mar 2007 kiwicrackdealer said

Default_avatar

there is an extra tax above ticket price. i believe it is 10% or thereabouts. the ticket should state the price ‘+ tax’ so dont forget you have to add tax on to ticket price

• 30 Mar 2007 princess19 said

Default_avatar

last time i was there it was 8.25% on everything except clothes.. i think there is no sales tax on clothes except for Nassau county ( long island), but i cold be wrong since i havent been home in almost a year.

If you guys have anymore questions about Ny please feel free to ask me.. lived there my whole life and think i know the city pretty well =)

• 31 Mar 2007 Kelly B said

Default_avatar

Hello to all travelling on the Big Apple Explorer tour on May 29! My name is Kelly, Im 21 and from Newcastle, Australia. Im also doing the Grand Northern tour the day after this tour finishes, so hopefully some of you will be doing the same! Im very glad to hear some shopping is on the agenda in New York, count me in!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion