Community_discussions_small  

Question

Language learning?

29 May 2010 Explorer1177414 asked

Default_avatar
Did you learn French, German, Spanish or Italian before going on a European trip?
  • 29 May 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I don’t think it’s necessary to learn any of the languages before you go but wouldn’t hurt to learn some basics. I picked up a lonely planet Europe phrasebook which I intend to bring with me. Has the basics for Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portugese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Sweedish and Turkish!! Only thing really missing that I would need is Dutch but I speak a little of that anyway as my mum’s side of the family is from Holland. I learned German at school and am looking forward to testing that out in Germany and Austria :P

• 29 May 2010 likeaflower said

likeaflower

I didn’t, but Paris would’ve been so much easier had I been able to string a couple of sentences together – especially when they sense you’re a tourist and try to rip you off.

• 30 May 2010 nervous_traveler said

nervous_traveler

Will have to try and find a phrase book so i can learn a little as well. I tried to do french in high school but all i remembered was hello, goodbye, please and my name is. From what i have been reading i might need to know more Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 30 May 2010 Chris said

Default_avatar

I know a little french from school, but other then that no. I might look into a phase book like Riverstar mentioned

• 30 May 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

I learnt German all through school so I had a bit of that under my belt, I also learnt some french phrases, ‘do you speak english’ ‘i don’t understand’ etc I’ve just heard that the french aren’t very helpful when you expect them to speak to you in english so they appreciate it when we try their language first..

• 31 May 2010 BlackBagsi said

Default_avatar

I think, it will be helpful, if you can speak and understand some words/sentenses in the different european languages.

The most people in Germany speak englisch, because everybody (in Germany) learns Englisch at school.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.